• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Does anyone in the Reno, Carson City area still carry black powder?

Yep they have black powder, it’s on the shelf next to the cleaning stuff, not behind the counter with the smokeless powder.
I'd called them in the past - they said that they had pyrodex, but not black powder.

Call them first before going there to check.

Nevada Hudson

Obsessed Member
Bought black powder for my 1858 Remington @ Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno.

We use a different type in our Civil War re-enactments with our 1861 Parrot Artillery cannon.

mpzreb17

Troublemaking Redneck
They got a cabelas up there? You just have to know how to ask the poor kid working the counter if so. "General powders list" has their offerings at the back of the last page. That tractor store is probably the way to go though if you want variety. Ranchers and Miners tend to get to blow stuff up a lot more than us city slickers.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
so, just outta curiosity, did you have any luck tracking things down?

this was the site i found from another source. they have cannon powder. i think it's the hazmat that is the killer. iirc, it was the same or more than 1lb.

i may try to order. (i am in vegas) i mean even with the hazmat doubling the price, it's not like i am ordering it often, so it may be best to bite the bullet, or power, and get it done.

***edit: bp, goex ffg. about $20. shipping $42.

I need to feed my new toy. :D I also still need to build a carriage.

Last edited:

tuolumnejim

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
so, just outta curiosity, did you have any luck tracking things down?

this was the site i found from another source. they have cannon powder. i think it's the hazmat that is the killer. iirc, it was the same or more than 1lb.

i may try to order. (i am in vegas) i mean even with the hazmat doubling the price, it's not like i am ordering it often, so it may be best to bite the bullet, or power, and get it done.

***edit: bp, goex ffg. about $20. shipping $42.
Nothing local at all so I'll be ordering from Graf and Sons, their hazmat and shipping isn't that bad if you order a decent quantity.
GOEX BLACK POWDER 1LB CANNON 25/CS

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Just as an aside on REAL BP. Goex.

A friend traveled to UT today. There is a store in OREM that had some in stock.

Obviously not a cost effective option unless you’re heading that way for something else.

FYI the place is called Gunnies