DSRPC Tactical Precision 22LR series

Hello all,
I am the fool who took on as match director for this new tactical 22 series.
I heard there was a little chatter on here so I figured I would poke my nose in here.
I haven't been on here in quite a while.
For those curious, the goal is to promote precision rifle shooting to youth and for adults to have some fun too.
These matches are of the same flavor as matches you would see nationally by the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) and the National Rifle League (NRL) except with 22LR scoped rifles. Not run and gun, but not all belly shooting, and not benchrest.

These matches allow you to compete against people across the country with the same course of fire through NRL22 (Think IDPA classifier stage'esque). The NRL stages are out to the public and can be found over at
http://nrl22.org/

I have made up some local stages for the first match which I hope will be fun and different for those of you not used to the centerfire version of this sport. For the upcoming months I have a few other local stages already drawn up that should get progressively more challenging and require some shooting that many may have not been exposed to (or rarely exposed to). Every match should have a "long range" stage which is 150'ish to 200'ish yards.

Our inaugural match is Sept 23rd and you can pre register on practiscore.
https://practiscore.com/dsrpc-inaugural-tactical-precision-rimfire-22lr/register

The Facebook page has a lot of examples, notes, and updates. (check the notes section here)
https://www.facebook.com/DSRPCTPR22LR/

And as always check out the Desert Sportsman's website
http://dsrpc.org/tactical-precision-rimfire-22lr/

Hopefully some of you can make it out and maybe get some youth out as well. Getting the next generation out in a fun and safe environment is paramount for our shooting sports to thrive.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
This will turn into the most fun match in the valley. Can't wait...:party:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
These match have been going on for the past year and a half now. They are really fun and give the competitors a great opportunity to develop good rifle skills. NRL22 has expanded all across the country and into other countries as well. This year in May the NRL22 National Championships will be held at Desert Sportsman's. The monthly match is next Saturday, and every 4th Saturday.

The local match normally has around 20-30 shooters with new guys about every month. It is a totally friendly match where everyone helps our everyone else. I've had a great time over the months. The competition part for me is more of an individual thing just trying to get off good shots and making the hits. I usually try to get out the week before the match and get in a practice. The matches are post upon their website so I can work out how I setup to shoot it. Just good fun.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
This is a very fun match, and you can be competitive with a $300 rifle and a modest scope. I'm having a lot of fun and put a lot more money into the scope than I really needed to, just because.

I really hope we can paint the targets a color other than mottled white which matches the mottled white desert behind them. Or maybe put bright red bricks in front of each one just so we know where even start to look for the white target in that sea of white dirt. White targets work great in the rest of the country that shoots in front of grass. That was a real frustration on an otherwise very fun day.

Now if I can just fix the extraction issues on my Savage. Stripping and cleaning the extractors helped. Ultrasonic cleaning helped more. But, still having the extraction issues, including with my back-up bolt from my other Savage. I'm thinking my chamber is just that dirty, probably because this rifle has had a lot of suppressed usage in the years past, even though I don't run a suppressor at this match yet. I tested accuracy with and without it and couldn't see a difference in group size so opted not to do it. But I'm just using CCI Standard for now, too.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A bunch of people think that a 22lr never needs to be cleaned and shoots better the more it is shot without cleaning. I am not in that camp. I clean my 22's at around 500 rounds, get great accuracy and reliability. It takes about 5 minutes.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I just put the entire barreled action into the ultrasound tank. After that, daily cleaning without the suppressor's extra crap in the barrel should be even easier.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Where can we find the match results online? The DSRPC page hasn't been updated (and I think the times are off, along with a few other errors) and the email address wasn't answered when I tried it a couple months ago with some questions.

As for my Savage, it worked much better this time, and I had a very good day. But I still had two failures to extract, but on both of these occasions, dropping the magazine and cycling the bolt briskly got it done. Previous, I was digging out the pocket knife while the clock was running.

I brought out two new shooters. I loaned one my Thrifty Persons Benchrest rifle (my other Savage) and the other used an otherwise stock 10/22 in a cheap Tapco stock. Both had less-than-ideal scopes for this, but they still had a great day learning this match and seeing what gear they really want for it.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Match results for the NRL stages, for NRL members are posted on the NRL22 site under match results. It isn't the match results just individual scores. I've never seen the actual match posted though.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
What's the deal for the NRL22 match this month? Is this off-season for the NRL, and there is still a club level match?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Desert Sportsman’s is hosting the NRL22 Nationals this weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We shot 10 fun stages today with distances from 25 to 330 yards. Positions were freehand, kneeling, seated and prone while showing shooting from sawhorses, spools, doghouse, truck bed and barrels. We had a mover and spinner stage as well today. 90% of the targets are steel with the remaining targets being paper. The wind came up a bit in the late morning and after.

There are 120 competitors, the top qualifiers from all over the country. My squad has shooters from Washington State, Colorado and Vermont. Tomorrow is another full day of shooting. The local NRL22 matches start up again in June on the normal 4th Saturday. Come on out and shoot the matches, they are a bunch of fun.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
We'll be at the Steel Challenge match on Range 2 tomorrow, so should be able to swing by and see what we're missing.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
There will be 8 stages on R7 and 2 on R9. I hope to shoot the steel challenge match next month.