• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Duck hunting in Overton - assistance please

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Hey guys/gals,

I want to try my hand at duck hunting in Overton this year, I know about the reservation system and heard stories about sky busting but going despite all that. But I am wondering if you need a dog out there? I have waders but can't tell if some of the ponds are too deep. Also how far of a walk is it from parking area to a blind, seems like some are further then others but wondering if I can hump my gear in or just get a game cart and wheel everything in. Also if you have any other tips that might help I am bring my 12 year old out so trying to make it enjoyable.

Thanks.

jim

Ocular patdown
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Hey guys/gals,

I want to try my hand at duck hunting in Overton this year, I know about the reservation system and heard stories about sky busting but going despite all that. But I am wondering if you need a dog out there? I have waders but can't tell if some of the ponds are too deep. Also how far of a walk is it from parking area to a blind, seems like some are further then others but wondering if I can hump my gear in or just get a game cart and wheel everything in. Also if you have any other tips that might help I am bring my 12 year old out so trying to make it enjoyable.

Thanks.
I hunted it a couple years ago. Waders are fine. Depending on the blind you pick there may be a bit of a walk. I used a cart and it wasn't bad.

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
@jim @Thedan2 thanks for the responses. I found out I can scout on the no hunt days so going to check it out in the coming weeks.

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I had a good friend that used to hunt out there. He passed away but he would bring me Goose breast from his hunts, OMG some of the best meat ever ! I wish I was in better shape I’d love to go up and scout with you. Ohh man just thinking about his wife’s pan fried breaded meals make my mouth water.

Good luck to you !

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
How was the scouting mission?
Was a worthwhile trip, good to get the lay of the land and decided on a bulrush instead of a pond. Booked a reservation for the end of Jan today! My son completes his hunters safety tomorrow so just have to buy licenses and we are set.

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
I had a good friend that used to hunt out there. He passed away but he would bring me Goose breast from his hunts, OMG some of the best meat ever ! I wish I was in better shape I’d love to go up and scout with you. Ohh man just thinking about his wife’s pan fried breaded meals make my mouth water.

Good luck to you !
Thanks! I miss fresh goose, growing up in the Midwest it was readily available. I want to try goose next year up north.