Electroplating? Anyone know how to do this?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I'm gonna guess that those parts are 304 stainless steel, resting in a solution of chromic and sulfuric acid that has been heated to just below its boiling point, then a low voltage, heavy current is passed thru the part and solution.
The longer you leave the current on, the deeper the color, it starts as a kind of gold color, then progresses to a bronze, then green , then blue and finally that deep purple.

That's the only way I know how to plate stainless steel like that and get that color during the plating process.
You are putting a layer of chrome oxide on the part, it's reasonably tough, but it will scratch abd if exposed to the elements will eventually flake off.

The chromic and sulfuric acid mix is pretty nasty, not something you really want to play with.

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
For some reason I can picture Top in his driveway with the elkie in one of those inflatable pools filled with that stuff and holding a set of jumper cables cause he wanted to change the color.

Oh and wearing those goofy lookin goggles and the beer “mickey” hat saying to himself “I hope this *#€%in works!”:ROFLMAO:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
The chromic and sulfuric acid mix is pretty nasty, not something you really want to play with.
You're too late. I've been messing with fumes way too long already.

From intentionally and stupidly huffing glue and gasoline (real premium, not the unleaded crap) in jr. high, to squirting Imron in my garage without a mask, to being exposed to low levels of Hydrazine and Nitrogen Tetroxide while working in a test facility for the Space Shuttle.

My lungs are so coated (or corroded) that I'lll risk the exposure.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
You're too late. I've been messing with fumes way too long already.

From intentionally and stupidly huffing glue and gasoline (real premium, not the unleaded crap) in jr. high, to squirting Imron in my garage without a mask, to being exposed to low levels of Hydrazine and Nitrogen Tetroxide while working in a test facility for the Space Shuttle.

My lungs are so coated (or corroded) that I'lll risk the exposure.
You forgot the tar from those cigarillos, that's your protective coating! Dunno if it will resist the fumes from chromic and sulfuric acid though, and finding those two things in Pahrump could be tough!

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I want to experiment.

We have a commercial unit for 24K gold plating. It works on a rotisserie style drive motor and hands-free. The baths are low cyanide solutions nowadays, but I still have a few vials of cyanide left when we used to roll our own back in the old days.
The Fire Dept. won't allow us to chrome plate on premises; says we would have to build a new facility separate from our own to do it:rolleyes:. Have to farm that out unfortunately, and it's expensive.