Empire Armory: A Cautionary Tale

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
I saw on Facebook that Empire Armory was doing 50% of cerakote services. I just had my slide milled so I needed cerakote, so I decided to give them a try. My buddy dropped off his Glock 19 MOS slide and I dropped off my Glock 17 slide.

Long story short, it was a bad idea. They did not bother to sand blast either slide prior to spraying. This was blatantly obvious when I could see dried loctite that was on the slide, under the cerakote on the 17 slide, also, there was a TON of built up carbon on the 19 slide that was simply just sprayed over. There were visible chunks of paint on both slides. And the 19 slide coating was horribly uneven, rough in multiple spots and super light spray in others.

I texted the owner and told him the issues. He assured me “he blasted both slides himself.” He offered to fix the slides for free, but I declined. I opted for a full refund and brought the slides somewhere else that did a much better job. I would have brought my slides back, however, the owner blatantly lied to me. I can tolerate a less than perfect job, but I can’t tolerate dishonesty.

E0D757B9-37F4-4901-80E2-558A8F744032.jpeg

4E1E3472-DC6B-4169-8CDC-D8930D504B6C.jpeg

0589453D-103C-410B-9CC3-026A6CFB36AA.jpeg

CC415819-68EA-4888-BFA0-DDDDB91B14F6.jpeg

E5D4BE57-CE3B-4155-AC7B-4BC57A3CB675.jpeg

0624815A-DF80-4643-A69A-F6347D0E9331.jpeg

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
To be fair some of those areas are hard to get good coverage on. But yes if I was doing that for you I would have redone it before giving it back.
Prep, prep and prep then spray or anything will show up.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
To be fair some of those areas are hard to get good coverage on. But yes if I was doing that for you I would have redone it before giving it back.
Prep, prep and prep then spray or anything will show up.

Sure. They can be difficult. But, if there was any prep work done, there wouldn’t be carbon build up.

I’ll attach a picture of the front sight hole before and after cerakote to prove he didn’t make an attempt to blast or acetone the guns.

First picture is my front sight uninstalled and me finding whoever did the install used RED LOCTITE and A LOT of it on the screw. That was either done by Glock at the factory or Maple Leaf Firearms in TX who did my RMR cut. But anyway, I gave the slide to Empire Armory with all that residue on it, figuring there was no point in spending any time removing is since he was going to blast it.

Second picture is the same as above. It looks like he removed a bit of the residue and said “to hell with it” and sprayed it anyway.

I understand I took advantage of the “50% off” deal. But I thought that was going to be 50% off the price, not quality of work.

So, before you guys go dropping off any of your guns for cerakote, just be aware of the skill level of who is doing it.

(Damnit the pictures uploaded backwards. It’s not hard to figure out what picture is what)
61CA6603-CEE3-490B-BB88-6B65FBE0EB52.jpeg

40F1A36A-1A38-464B-80A8-294FD9850B6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Sure. They can be difficult. But, if there was any prep work done, there wouldn’t be carbon build up.

I’ll attach a picture of the front sight hole before and after cerakote to prove he didn’t make an attempt to blast or acetone the guns.

First picture is my front sight uninstalled and me finding whoever did the install used RED LOCTITE and A LOT of it on the screw. That was either done by Glock at the factory or Maple Leaf Firearms in TX who did my RMR cut. But anyway, I gave the slide to Empire Armory with all that residue on it, figuring there was no point in spending any time removing is since he was going to blast it.

Second picture is the same as above. It looks like he removed a bit of the residue and said “to hell with it” and sprayed it anyway.

I understand I took advantage of the “50% off” deal. But I thought that was going to be 50% off the price, not quality of work.

So, before you guys go dropping off any of your guns for cerakote, just be aware of the skill level of who is doing it.

(Damnit the pictures uploaded backwards. It’s not hard to figure out what picture is what)
I was not excusing anything they did (or didn't) do. The number of parts I have sprayed to 100% coverage and then pulled out of the oven and oh look missed this area and this area, is a lot. But once I see how they turn out they go back to the blast cabinet and then resprayed.

Not blasting is a big NO, once blasted finding issues and not correcting is a no, missing a small unseen area in a non wear area maybe, in a wear or visible area NO.

Many times I have blasted items and once done have found oil/grease/carbon that hasn't been removed and it is then scraped off and reblasted.
I have done items for my self and stressed getting it perfect, I have done items I knew I was going to sell and stressed, but nothing compares to someone paying to do something. To do something as a business and pass off the crap you got, no way.