• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

Epoxy on barrel extension?

Recently bought a new upper receiver and rail for my Grendel and a buddy suggested “bedding” with a little layer of epoxy on the barrel extension when I install will have a positive effect on accuracy. I’m a bit skeptical. Anybody heard of this? Any similar suggestions? It’s already a pretty accurate rifle, just hoping to squeeze a little more out of it.

Last edited:

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
I've never epoxy bedded the barrel but I have lapped the reciever and used some loctite to "bed" it would the epoxy let the barrel be removed if you wanted to replace the barrel

I've never epoxy bedded the barrel but I have lapped the reciever and used some loctite to "bed" it would the epoxy let the barrel be removed if you wanted to replace the barrel
I would imagine it would at least make it difficult to remove. I'm not terribly worried about that. This new receiver will be the barrel's permanent home. I have heard of the lactate method though. I may go with that.

Unnecessary imo unless you are an extremely accurate shooter. Often we are the limitation on accuracy. What kind of barrel is it?
It’s a 22” liberty. This one. https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/22-65-grendel-ii-df-ss

The current setup is pretty accurate. Currently I can get about 1-1.5 moa with a bipod and squeeze bag. I can smack the 960yd gong all day at the Boulder City range. But that’s a 36” gong, which equates to 3ish moa. With good glass you can pick out smaller rocks out there and whack em. Those I have trouble with. I can see the impacts and call low, high, left, right... but every pull feels good. Perhaps it can do better?

Last edited:
It’s a 22” liberty. This one. https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/22-65-grendel-ii-df-ss

The current setup is pretty accurate. Currently I can get about 1-1.5 moa with a bipod and squeeze bag. I can smack the 960yd gong all day at the Boulder City range. But that’s a 36” gong, which equates to 3ish moa. With good glass you can pick out smaller rocks out there and whack em. Those I have trouble with. I can see the impacts and call low, high, left, right... but every pull feels good. Perhaps it can do better?
If you are using match ammo or your own reloads with development, I would guess there is more accuracy in the barrel. If not, I would start there and see what you are capable of with better ammo.