• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ever drive a Tesla?

4x4Brit

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Want and need are obviously very different things. Personally, I very much enjoy driving and that kind of power would come in use for me. I’m with the others though, I enjoy the sound of a well tuned engine.

The line I quoted earlier is exactly the kind of line gun grabbers use so it bothers me to hear a fellow firearms enthusiast applying a narrow minded line of thought to other areas/subjects. Just because you can’t see a practical use doesn’t mean there isn’t one....

Anyway, I said my piece so I’ll leave it there and try not to derail your thread anymore.

Cheers.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Want and need are obviously very different things. Personally, I very much enjoy driving and that kind of power would come in use for me. I’m with the others though, I enjoy the sound of a well tuned engine.

The line I quoted earlier is exactly the kind of line gun grabbers use so it bothers me to hear a fellow firearms enthusiast applying a narrow minded line of thought to other areas/subjects. Just because you can’t see a practical use doesn’t mean there isn’t one....

Anyway, I said my piece so I’ll leave it there and try not to derail your thread anymore.

Cheers.
You misunderstood what I said. The lefties say "nobody needs a semi auto" or whatever. I said "I have no need" , I did not say a word about others. Big difference, IMO. I could not care less who legally has machine guns. Or a high performance Tesla.

FWIW, I do not need any of my guns. But I have a hell of a collection of such.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
The small company I work for decided to buy a Tesla X Total price $133,417.38.

For that price, Tesla NV sent them the paperwork to apply for the title and to do the DMV registration themselves. What a bargain!

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You misunderstood what I said. The lefties say "nobody needs a semi auto" or whatever. I said "I have no need" , I did not say a word about others. Big difference, IMO. I could not care less who legally has machine guns. Or a high performance Tesla.

FWIW, I do not need any of my guns. But I have a hell of a collection of such.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley
Point of order, Your Honor: the defendant did not say “I have no need,” he stated “...has no practical use that I can see” after firmly reasoning the car does not belong on the public roadways. Two very different types of statments, becoming relevant to the anti-gun comparison.

?

I’m feeling goofy and just trying to bust your chops a bit. In my opinion, the cars are an awesome piece of tech made by a quirky intellectual billionaire and are going to be the Model A’s of the electric vehicle future.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The small company I work for decided to buy a Tesla X Total price $133,417.38.

For that price, Tesla NV sent them the paperwork to apply for the title and to do the DMV registration themselves. What a bargain!
I have ridden in a $140,000.00 Tesla at the Reno EV event a few months ago. I like the Model 3 just as much, if not more.

I have cheap taste in many things. IOW, I would often take cheaper even if both were at the same cost to me.

BTW, it looks like they found a Telsa per my order requirements locally. I can pick it up this Sunday afternoon, if I understand the e-mails I just received. But perhaps it only means it will be delivered on Sunday. I edited the name and number, but the message reads:

"Hello Donald,

This is Joe Smith, Your Tesla Delivery Scheduling Advisor. Your Tesla RN1234567 is scheduled for delivery on October 14 at 1 PM from our Sacramento-Rocklin delivery location! Please feel free to text me back at this number . . . . "

I already did both, I sent a call to his voicemail and left an email which did an auto-reply that he will not be back in the office until Monday. It all kinda leaves me hanging. But I will head for my Auburn house tomorrow, which is only a few miles from Rocklin, so it's NBD if I have to make a couple of trips. Perhaps I will see nobody there who can help me, but perhaps I will get to watch my shinny new Tesla being delivered!

But perhaps I will have to pick it up on Monday. I just don't know. No big deal either way. I will ride my electric motorcycle to Auburn, CA and will drive the Tesla back to Reno a few days later. I will rarely use any gas from now on, except when I drive my RV. I assume it will be quite a while before they have electric motorhomes.

On a differerant subject if I may hijack my own thread . . . .

I am one of the few people who may legally buy guns in two states. I have a CA REAL ID card, a CA Safety Certificate, a NV Driver's license, and NV CCW. I have purchased a couple of guns in CA already, so I can legally keep them at my Auburn house when I am not there. Even with the countless CA BS, there is still a big selection of guns available. But I would hate to see the CA BS leak into NV as almost happened with Q1.

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Point of order, Your Honor: the defendant did not say “I have no need,” he stated “...has no practical use that I can see” after firmly reasoning the car does not belong on the public roadways. Two very different types of statments, becoming relevant to the anti-gun comparison.

?

I’m feeling goofy and just trying to bust your chops a bit. In my opinion, the cars are an awesome piece of tech made by a quirky intellectual billionaire and are going to be the Model A’s of the electric vehicle future.
I said both. But to clarify, I would have no practical use for such power. I drive like an old lady, even my motorcycles. Perhaps that's why I am still alive after riding for more than 50 years. I ride scared, but I still enjoy it.

I mean on every blind curve, I expect a deer to be crossing the road ahead. And today, I saw around six to eight deer (no time to count as I was braking!) all cross the road at the same time, at the same place, right in front of me, on the way back from Frenchman Lake.

-Don- Reno

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
[QUOTE="DonTom, I ride scared, but I still enjoy it.
-Don- Reno[/QUOTE]
Good advice! I have been riding for over 45 years without a serious incident. I ride with the assumption that I am invisible to others on the road.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
I have ridden in a $140,000.00 Tesla at the Reno EV event a few months ago. I like the Model 3 just as much, if not more.

I have cheap taste in many things. IOW, I would often take cheaper even if both were at the same cost to me.
The model X is the SUV.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
"Such a car belongs on a racetrack, has no practical use that I can see. But they only had the performance model for me to test drive and I would not take that kind of power for free. I have no need for that!"

I think I can stand by that statement. I would hate to see other cars accelerate like that when I am on my motorcycle. "Exhibition of speed" is illegal for a good reason, so in this case, yes, I do care what others do and I and other innocent people can be get killed by such.

Now if such can be done safely, I have no issue. And it is the same way with guns. Use them safely, such as the four main rules that I hope we all here follow.

While the Tesla is probably the safest car made, that doesn't mean it cannot be used to kill others. Same goes for guns what are made safer than others.

But the bottom line is I do not care what car somebody owns, just like I do not care about what guns others have. But I do care about the misuse of either when it involves the safety of innocent people.

-Don- Reno

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Here we go, Don doubled down. So we should also ban the Corvette, the Dodge “Hellcat” models, EcoBoost Fords, twin turbo BMW’s, etc, etc.

Do we ban them specifically by name only? Or should we make a list of features that are prohibited? No high capacity superchargers, fully automatic transmissions capable of ghost shifting in less than a second, these assault vehicles have no place on our streets. To top it off and be extra sure, we should also limit the 0-60 acceleration too. What would be a good number? No American needs to go 0-60 in under 10 seconds me thinks, motorcyclists included. And if you accidentally go 0-60 faster than 10 seconds due to downhill or a tailwind, it counts as an illegal modification?

You can laugh, call it absurd, but that line of logic does not pass muster for me. “But cars are different, we can’t ban cars, they’re not designed to kill people!” Indeed, they’re designed to keep people safe, but they’re responsible for far more deaths than firearms. Hell, DUI crashes outnumber homicide by firearm by nearly triple. Hey, another good idea: mandatory breathalyzer on all new models. If it saves one life.....

(poop), beers empty, time for another. This has been a lesson in applying logic transitively. Thank you for reading.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Here we go, Don doubled down. So we should also ban the Corvette, the Dodge “Hellcat” models, EcoBoost Fords, twin turbo BMW’s, etc, etc..
AFAIK, you're the first to use the word "ban" here. What do you think I want banned? Perhaps the misuse of any item? Almost any item can be used to kill others (something I still remember from my army infantry training), shall we ban almost every item there is? I don't think that's such a good idea.

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In other news, my Tesla Model Three will be delivered--tomorrow, Oct 14! That "1-3" months wait took about a week. I am not sure how this works when they deliver on a Sunday.

I just got this email several hours ago.

I just came back to Reno a few days ago. Now I will have to rush back to my place in Auburn later today.

I am not sure if I will be able to drive it off the lot on Sunday, but it will be fun to watch my new Tesla being delivered. I now have the VIN number and all. It's not worded very clear other than the car will be delivered by a certain time. I will probably have nobody to ask any questions to until Monday. But NBD, it's not far at all from Auburn to Rocklin, CA. I will probably have to make the trip more than once.

I will ride my electric motorcycle to Auburn today, which is the same way I got to Reno a few days ago. 99.0 miles exactly, door to door.

-Don- Reno, NV

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Spent a few hours with an old friend today. He was in town for business, his business is vehicles. Traditional gas powered and newer battery powered. Spent the whole time working on getting a battery to function correctly. Still not sure if he got it to work 100%.

Ricci

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
Same here, until I bought my first electric motorcycle and got hooked on the electric thing. I see nothing but advantages in going electric these days.

With my electric motorcycles (EM), I like how I can hear the cars that get too close to me. My EM uses a drive belt, but a chain conversion is available. But those have done such say the noise from the chain bothers them. It cannot be heard over the engine on an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicle, but such can sure be heard on an electric bike, loud and clear!

Motorcycles should be seen and NOT heard!

Have fun checking your engine oil, and going to your gas stations, doing tune ups, etc. I will charge when I get home.

Go electric!

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV
Nah man, I’m pretty set in my ways...did you know that Ford had an all electric Ranger more than a few decades ago? They would only lease them with no option to buy/keep at the close of lease. A good friend got one and I drove it a few times..the acceleration was blistering. He had a home charging system as well set up to massive solar tracking panels in his yard which also powered his entire home. A real pioneer in the all electric push at the time. I helped change a few panels from time to time.
Ford would not give a logical reason, at least to him, why they wouldn’t let him keep that truck.

My only other experience with an “electric” vehicle was a V6 Highlander Hybrid rental which I drove hard for a week. What impressed me was the advertised 28 mpg no matter how far I pushed the go pedal. That 6 was responsive and sounded sweet.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I don't drive cars unless I have no choice.
I had to about four years ago....

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I am all for electric vehicles, homes, and cities. Energy that has a small foot print on the planet. Of course the oil companies, and oil kingdoms have other ideas. I wonder who will win? I just can't envision middle eastern oil princes trading their Mercedes in for a camel.

DeanD

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Elon Musk is enough to keep me from buying anything from a company he is associated with plus I don't like companies who live off the taxpayers.