Finally came to a conclusion. Ruger EC9s

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I think I've finally made a decision on a new sub compact carry gun.
The Ruger EC9S. Seems to get good reviews. I like Ruger, have a SR9. I find the quality acceptable. Price is outstanding.

Con is only 1 7 rnd. mag but I'd want the 9 rnd also.

Any owners with hands on experience? Opinions?

Attachments

titanNV

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
This is something I looked in to, but the size was larger than the Kahr CM9 (PM9). It's closer to that of a Shield, but not as large if I recall.
The Sig P365 is nearly identical in size to the Kahr, but 10+1 rounds.

My daily carry is an LC9S Pro.

I think the only difference I mine doesn't have the slide safety (I prefer not to have one on a carry pistol, and carry in a kydex IWB holster that completely covers the entire trigger guard and fits very snugly), and mine has 3 dot sights vs just basic sights machined into the slide on the EC9s.
From what I've read, everything else is the same, including the excellent trigger.

Highly recommend, especially at the super low prices the EC9s can be had at (less than HALF what one can get a Sig P365 for, and over $100, maybe as much as $150 cheaper than a Shield M&P 2.0, once out the door prices are figured with tax, etc. BTW saw a Sig P365 at the gun show this weekend, and was astounded at how small it actually is, especially considering it is a double stack with 10-12 round capacity depending on magazine. Will eventually pick one up, but there are way too many reports of stuff breaking on them right now. and with tax the best one can hope to find one for would be over $600 OTD. Hoping in 12-18 months the problems will be ironed out and I will be able to get one for under $500 OTD, as the small size and capacity would be great in a carry piece.

Back to the Ruger. Small, but fits the hand well, and the trigger! best trigger on any striker gun I have, and I have many. The rounded edges make it a very comfortable carry piece, and mine has been 100% reliable with several types of ammo, probably fired about 200 rounds of FMJ range ammo, and another 100 of HP self defense ammo, a few different brands.

saw a Sig P365 at the gun show this weekend, and was astounded at how small it actually is, especially considering it is a double stack with 10-12 round capacity depending on magazine. Will eventually pick one up, but there are way too many reports of stuff breaking on them right now. and with tax the best one can hope to find one for would be over $600 OTD. Hoping in 12-18 months the problems will be ironed out and I will be able to get one for under $500 OTD, as the small size and capacity would be great in a carry piece.
Picked mine up Monday from Sportsman's Warehouse. Best pricing I've found, $499 with free ship to store (so no transfer fee), $541 otd with tax. You have to keep an eye for when they come in stock (it was supposed to notify me via email but I never got anything) and order quickly, but I only had to wait a couple of weeks from when I started watching. Then like 3 days to get to the store.

As for the Rugers I felt that the LC9 (regular or S) and EC9 feel a little top-heavy and don't balance as well as I'd like in my hand; same with the Shield. The Kahrs are pretty nice (my roommates have a CW9 and a PM9) and I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 which I found to have much better balance for me than anything else I've tried (until the P365). These are my subjective opinions and will of course vary for others.

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I have a LC9 that is my daily carry gun. I purchased factory 9 round magazines and added the Hogue grip sleeve.
My understanding is the EC9S is the same as the LC9S except for the finish, sights and serrations on rear of slide.
I like the chunkier serrations on the EC9 and fixed sights aren't really an issue for me.
For the price brand new, under $300 OTD it's hard to resist