• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Finally fired my Garand in a match.

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
78 headstamp (possibly 76, there are mixed headstamps in the can, and the 6 is almost closed at the top, and I could easily have mistaken it for an 8 at the range).

Ripped the rims when trying to extract. Had to rod the barrel for about every fourth round.

Hornady ammo cycled flawlessly, but had a different (seemed to be several inches lower) point of impact.

One of the more Garand experienced guys hypothesized that I had some "hot"/ delinked MG ammo, and the extractor was simply pulling too fast/hard as a result of higher recoil.

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
That's real interesting. I've fired nothing but hxp in at least 4 different CMP Garands I've had in the last decade, never an issue with any. Late 60s and 70s headstamps.
I'm too poor for the new stuff!! 😂

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
That's real interesting. I've fired nothing but hxp in at least 4 different CMP Garands I've had in the last decade, never an issue with any. Late 60s and 70s headstamps.
I'm too poor for the new stuff!! 😂
I have fired HXP through this gun before (sighting it in and other non-competition activities), without having this problem. There were some HXP 70 rounds in the can, and they all cycled fine, as did the Hornady match ammo that was "loaned" to me.

It's been a few years since I bought any 30.06, but I think these were from a "loose rounds" can from the CMP.

78 headstamp (possibly 76, there are mixed headstamps in the can, and the 6 is almost closed at the top, and I could easily have mistaken it for an 8 at the range).

Ripped the rims when trying to extract. Had to rod the barrel for about every fourth round.

Hornady ammo cycled flawlessly, but had a different (seemed to be several inches lower) point of impact.

One of the more Garand experienced guys hypothesized that I had some "hot"/ delinked MG ammo, and the extractor was simply pulling too fast/hard as a result of higher recoil.

I would be worried about running that ammo in a Garand.

Isn't there a concern about breaking the operating rod - and that is why there are manufacturers who make "weaker" 30-06 specifically for use in Garands?

Maybe save the stuff you are concerned is "hot" and use it in a bolt action rifle - do you have a 1903A3 or an Eddyfield Model of 1917?

HXP ammo was made specifically to use in the Garand.

It was the Greek milspec version of M2 ball.

I'm aware of that. I have several hundred rounds in my stash.

I was referring specifically to whatever ammo, HXP marked or otherwise, that the OP was having problems with "ripped rims" (his words).

HXP is notorious for having soft rims and being a little on the warm side causing some hard extractions. Every piece of HXP that has been through my Garands had a nicked up or bent rim.

Make sure your gun and mainspring are well greased. Seen to many Garands being run dry. If you haven't already, replace the mainspring with a new one. Wolf springs are good. These are 70-60 year old springs and should be replaced.

I have two batches of HXP brass with five and seven reloads. Of the 150 cases I have only had to cull six cases for split necks. Seems like decent brass to reload. I would check your chamber or at least work an M1 chamber brush till it shines. Good luck.

Coup d'etat

Hello Clarice, did you miss me?
I've read many times that soldiers in the Pacific Theater during WWII were issued 30-06 AP for their Garands. The AP round is not exactly weak. It kicks like a mule on crack. In fact, most of the time when I find Garand en-block clips at gun shows, it's loaded with AP.