• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fishing info for a rookie

jim

Ocular patdown
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My wife and I are going to give fishing a go. Neither one of us have really done it. What would be a good rod and reel set up for the lakes around Nevada? Appreciate any and all input.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Depends what you’re fishing for.

If you’re going to try stocked trout then all you need is a light spinning rod, some 5lb line, and hooks for bait. You can also give some small lures like rooster tails a try.

Stocked summer catfish can be likely caught with the same rod and reel as trout with a little heavier line, say 8lb.

For small mouth and largemouth bass fishing you’ll want either spinning rods or baitcasters with line anywhere between 8-20lbs depending on your technique and bait. You’ll have a plethora of options to include jigs, buzz baits, frogs, crankbaits, spinners, and swimbaits, just to name a few.

I won’t think you’ll have much success fishing for striped bass from the shore, but I’ll admit I’ve never looked to see if it’s done or possible. I understand that you generally need to fish pretty deep to catch those. Expect 20lb line or heavier and big deep diving lures.

Let us know what lakes/streams you’re going to visit and which fish you’re looking to catch and we can go from there.

Well, first off is this: Fishing Knots in order to "start somewhere". You have zero casting experience, so spincasting gear might not be bad way to begin, but if you have a large enough area of unobstructed dirt you can learn to cast anything given the time. Start reading, and acquire enough background information to make useful decisions on "where to go from here". That's pretty much how I did it back when I was 10 or so, but I started with spinning and bait casting gear.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter

If you’re going to try stocked trout then all you need is a light spinning rod, some 5lb line, and hooks for bait. You can also give some small lures like rooster tails a try.

Stocked summer catfish can be likely caught with the same rod and reel as trout with a little heavier line, say 8lb.

For small mouth and largemouth bass fishing you’ll want either spinning rods or baitcasters with line anywhere between 8-20lbs depending on your technique and bait. You’ll have a plethora of options to include jigs, buzz baits, frogs, crankbaits, spinners, and swimbaits, just to name a few.

I won’t think you’ll have much success fishing for striped bass from the shore, but I’ll admit I’ve never looked to see if it’s done or possible. I understand that you generally need to fish pretty deep to catch those. Expect 20lb line or heavier and big deep diving lures.

Let us know what lakes/streams you’re going to visit and which fish you’re looking to catch and we can go from there.
You can actually do well for Striper from the shore. Anchovies or shad work great from the shore for Striper. Guys catch them along the river (Willow, Big Bend, David Dam) or at Lake Mead (Government Wash area, Boulder Beach, Kingman Wash). We fish from the shore when we go to Sandy beach. One day we took 14 Striper in about 2 hours fishing anchovies from the shore.

Rem222

RD2
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
We fish the Eastern Sierra around Bridgeport CA for trout. If that is what you will be doing consider a ultra light/ light spinning combo with 4lb test line. If you plan on keeping your fish a power bait set up is pretty good. We catch and release using a bubble and fly set up. The fly being a brown woolly worm or woolly bugger. Good luck.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
You can actually do well for Striper from the shore. Anchovies or shad work great from the shore for Striper. Guys catch them along the river (Willow, Big Bend, David Dam) or at Lake Mead (Government Wash area, Boulder Beach, Kingman Wash). We fish from the shore when we go to Sandy beach. One day we took 14 Striper in about 2 hours fishing anchovies from the shore.
good to know, I had always heard stripers are a deeper water fish and have never really tried fishing for them myself.

Chose the beaches or part of the river that are close to deeper water or can you catch them in 10-20 feet?

I was at the lake last week an the stripers were big an thick they are hanging with the carp feeding from the marine. I have never seen them do that an there were hundreds just as big as the carp. So I think u might get lucky from shore @ there.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
good to know, I had always heard stripers are a deeper water fish and have never really tried fishing for them myself.

Chose the beaches or part of the river that are close to deeper water or can you catch them in 10-20 feet?
Yes, especially right now. They will feed on top just feet from the shore (boils). That said, there are plenty of drop offs on the lake that can go 30-100 feet within 30’ of the shore (east casting distance).

And @Aswild those fish at the marina suck. They are not meaty at all (as far as stripers go). Don’t ask me how I know but those popcorn eaters have really thin filets. Not nearly as good as the shad eaters.
That said, the Striper are pretty healthy this year.

Yes, especially right now. They will feed on top just feet from the shore (boils). That said, there are plenty of drop offs on the lake that can go 30-100 feet within 30’ of the shore (east casting distance).

And @Aswild those fish at the marina suck. They are not meaty at all (as far as stripers go). Don’t ask me how I know but those popcorn eaters have really thin filets. Not nearly as good as the shad eaters.
That said, the Striper are pretty healthy this year.
Well that’s good to know I have never seen them there feeding in the past so I thought it was odd. Well they are all natural and corn feed lol