• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

For the Poncho fans

vroom_vroom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Love me some poncho power. Got to dyno my trans am last October. Had over 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels by 1800 rpm with a super flat torque line. Topped out at just over 400 at the wheels, not shabby for a stock cube 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glennc

American Patriot
Love me some poncho power. Got to dyno my trans am last October. Had over 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels by 1800 rpm with a super flat torque line. Topped out at just over 400 at the wheels, not shabby for a stock cube 400.
Beautiful looking T/A...resized it for ya.

Ricci

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter

Aluminum intake/heads...cam choice?
Also, nice job getting the shaker on with that set up:thumbsup:
Beautiful car!

vroom_vroom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
the hard core trans am guys spot me from a mile away, the shaker still sits high but the hood closes so i left it. went with the kre d ports and a comp 276xr hydro roller cam. should have gone with more cam but was not planning on the heads/compression i ended up running but it runs good and revs up fast. the rad is nothing special champion 4 core should have gone with the 3 only Pontiac that runs cool but hopefully it will balance out when i get the ac in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2UOb6tteg

Ricci

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
Screaming chicken is dead on--you just can't beat that Pontiac sound.
Thanks for posting, bad ass.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Nice Bonneville! ^^^

I ran the Pontiac Aluminum High Rise Tri Power on my '71 Trans Am for a few years (still have the manifold, carbs and air cleaners, linkage, etc. ) with a roller cam and three 620 CFM 2 barrels.

At various times Pontiac offered that tri power set up with low, medium and high rise manifolds, but smaller carbs.

The high rise with carbs was almost identical in height to the stock aluminum high rise and Quadrajet that came on the car when I ordered it.

With the progressive linkage, those trips made an impressive should when you dumped in the two end carbs. Kinda sounded like flushing a toilet, followed immediately by a jet engine taking off at full throttle.

Had to be careful about what RPM range you stood on it though, too low (below about 2,500 RPM) and it would bog out and flood.

Was a pain making the air cleaner surround out of sheet metal so that the shaker hood scoop fit and worked. But that sound, and the neck snapping acceleration was worth it.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It is still as clean in and out , as it was in 61. One small spot of surface rust on the passenger door ( we are from PA ).

That 425a code has plenty of HP. Lots of go , but not a ton of whoa with the 4 wheel drums. :scared:

my 3 sons

BonnieNov2017-0794 by John Wylie Jr, on Flickr

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Love it, what a time capsule. How does it run on today's fuel? Additives?
It hasn't moved in quite a few years , though he did fire it up last Friday. Definitely need some additives , or av gas. Last time I drove it years ago and kicked the tripower in ( vacuum was replaced with mechanical linkage) , it rattled a bit.

Sure would be nice to uncork the factory drag exhausts and show those imports up the street what a car should sound like :thumbsup:

Going to need new tires before being roadworthy.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Ricci

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
NICE ! Wonder what it will go for.

Further down the page is a story about the original owner's 1972 455 HO Trans Am, here's the link to it, fun reading.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2012/10/HO--HO--HO---1972-Pontiac-Trans-Am/3717171.html
If it's a televised auction I'm sure they'll run it during the commercial break to keep the Chevy's and Mopar's in the spotlight :wink:

I've seen that article on the '72 before but it was nice to read it again. That car really gets out of it's own way quick.

I had a chance (but passed) to buy a '72 stored/housed in the desert just beyond Reno about 15 years ago. Original faded paint (white, with all the stickers) and somehow a bail bondsman had it in his possession; no title and that was a problem. Made the trip out there and it had one of the nicest original interiors I'd seen. The deceased original owner raced it on weekends (33k miles on it). Under the hood had some mod's and he had drilled through the hood for pins :frown2: and that was another issue. I drove it briefly, the M-22 shifted fine, but the Crane cam was not correct for a torque monster like that. Also, it was pissing oil out the rear main seal.
Anyway, I stood there in the middle of the desert with 3 guys I didn't know, unarmed, with $14k cash in my back pocket...not one of my brightest moments.