• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Forging Damascus

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I'll be forging a Damascus billet on the new hammer this weekend on Sunday if any of you want to stop by and watch. I know I have talked to some of you about it. The shop address is 3855 E. Patrick Lane, Suite 170, Las Vegas, NV 89120.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
I will be there. Since you and I talked about Damascus I have been looking at some knives on line in Damascus and they look really cool.

Paulie

loic1

Obsessed Member
I just ordered and received a Damascus chef knife (for my son's birthday , he just turned 16 and started his apprentice ship to become a pastry chef) it is really beautiful ! Ill try to take and post pictures.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

loic1

Obsessed Member
Its a nickel Damascus, 101 layers. My cell pic dont do it justice.

This is only to show the beauty of the Damascus, nothing else.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Jimmy,

Thanks for showing John and I the process for making Damascus. We had no clue that their was that much involved in doing it. A better understanding of why Damascus knives are more expensive.

Thanks for being a great host too.

Paulie:appls:

jseymour

Obsessed Member
It was great having you guys over. Next time we will finish a billet. Monday I'll be making a set of squaring dies so we don't get out of shape again.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
So this is what we did today.

first I tack welded 20 layers of 1085 and 15N20 and heated it up to cherry red and sprinkled on some welding flux. You can see the flux melting and sticking to the steel nicely here. You can also use Mule Team 20 Borax detergent if you don't have actual welding flux. The only problem with it is it has a lot of water in it causing it to boil off easily so you have to use a lot of it.

The billet was forged out to about 13" and then cut into thirds. The scale on the outside was ground off to bright shiny metal.

The billet was re-welded together. Now it has gone from the original 20 layers to 60 layers.

Not long after this we had to stop. I haven't built any squaring dies. And you can see from the picture below the normally flat billet started to forge one side more than the other making a weird shape I couldn't control without squaring dies. I did my best on the hammer but don't have enough practice with the hammer to square it up.

The billet can still be saved but I have to make a set of squaring dies first and re-square the billet.

Once it has been re-squared I will cut the billet in thirds again and restack and re-weld. for 180 layers. fold it one more time for 360 layer and call it good.

Thank you for hosting Paulie and I today Jimmy. Like Paulie said I had no clue what went into making Damascus. I have a much better appreciation for the process and the cost of the style.
You were a great host.

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
darn i missed this! I would have LOVED to see this. Hope you are willing to host some members again in the future.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I will keep members on here in mind. I will be forging more billets soon as I want to get as many as possible forged before the summer heat gets here. Got the material to make the squaring dies today.