Glock dry-fire FAIL

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
Yesterday I did some dry-fire practice with my Glock 19 using the ST Action snap caps, never had a problem until now.

First trigger pull works fine.

Rack slide to reset trigger...slide locks up on me!

Only way I could un-jam is to remove slide, remove recoil spring (barrel would not disassemble as the snap cap was lodged in the chamber and wouldn't budge), then depress the firing pin with my thumb to release some pressure and then barrel came loose, along with snap cap.

I tried the A-Zoom snap caps to see if it happened again...and it did, same problem, snap cap locked in chamber.

I dissembled the entire slide, including all the tiny parts, but cannot figure out what is causing the problem.

Last time I shot this pistol was IDPA last month and it worked fine. I have no idea what is going on. Wondering if it's an extractor or firing pin issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
^^^^^^ That's my first question, followed by are you racking slide all the way rearward to the stop, or just far enough back to get the trigger to reset?

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
I can dry fire on an empty chamber without issue, but prefer to use snap caps to protect the firing pin.

When this happened, I was racking the slide just far enough back so that trigger resets.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Thought so.
Try dry firing it with the snap cap and racking the slide all the way back to the limit, see if that works.
Report back when done!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
According to Glock it is acceptable to dry fire them without a snap cap, using one just eliminates the possibility of developing a burr or rolled edge on the firing pin or it's channel is all.

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
I'll have to reassemble the slide, it's still in parts in a zip lock bag.

I've been dry firing the G19 this way (short rack to rest trigger) for YEARS and never had a problem. Curious why it's now a problem. I'll report back after I put it together.

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
All good. Now able to dry fire with snap caps again, racking slide BOTH ways (all the way back to limit, and also only partially back to reset trigger).

So what happened???

All I can think is that on my last complete disassembly/cleaning I did not properly install the tiny black plastic cups that sit at the front of the firing pin spring. Those things are a real PAIN. Very possible that I put them in backwards, causing the firing pin not to function correctly? Which in turn caused a bad chain reaction ending with the snap cap jammed in the chamber. Just spit-balling. Not sure at all.

Last edited:

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
All good. Now able to dry fire with snap caps again, racking slide BOTH ways (all the way back to limit, and also only partially back to reset trigger).

So what happened???

All I can think is that on my last complete disassembly/cleaning I did not properly install the tiny black plastic cups that sit at the front of the firing pin spring. Those things are a real PAIN. Very possible that I put them in backwards, causing the firing pin not to function correctly? Which in turn caused a bad chain reaction ending with the snap cap jammed in the chamber. Just spit-balling. Not sure at all.
Glad you were able to get it figured out. If that is what happened, then be extremely grateful that you found this now, and not when you may have had to depend on it! And this is exactly why we should dry fire practice as well as live fire.