Google Maps: Las Vegas area shooting spots

AnakinsKid

No, you're not my father.
Forum Supporter
Edit: Due to the map being vandalized, it's no longer freely editable. I'll work with Requiem about finding people that can be trusted to manage it, then we'll edit this post with instructions on who to submit changes to.

EriccCartmann

I have been to the Sloan area and it is a mess there! Please everyone pick up after yourself! I think we should organanize a clean up party, and maybe even get the local authorities involved so they know we are here to help the community :thumbsup:

requiem

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Staff member
Administrator
I have been to the Sloan area and it is a mess there! Please everyone pick up after yourself! I think we should organanize a clean up party, and maybe even get the local authorities involved so they know we are here to help the community :thumbsup:
me, my wife and pachinko were there last weekend. people had a pickup truck full of garbage they were shooting. sadly, it's like that in many area of the valley.

AnakinsKid

No, you're not my father.
Forum Supporter
I make it a point to take with me everything I bring out there, except the bullets I shoot. I'll stick my shoot-n-see targets on junk out there, but I'll take them with me.

Wheel

I'm looking for the mile marker or some other identifying markings for where to turn off to shoot at 95 north. I was there with a friend years ago but have no idea where it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this also known as the Sand Pit? Would you describe the mess?

I'm looking for the mile marker or some other identifying markings for where to turn off to shoot at 95 north. I was there with a friend years ago but have no idea where it was.

Ditto. I would also like to have some more specific directions as this is one of the closer locations from my neighborhood which is around Buffalo/Flamingo.

I looked at the Google Map tool and couldn't find any specific exit or road.

BTW, that tool is AWESOME! Thanks!:cornut:

The Rt95 North site caled the ravines is approximately 1 mile north of the Desert Wildlife road. Shoot on the east side of 95, and the places are pretty easy to determine, by the Sloan like garbage! A truck is a prefered method of access.

Wheel

Yes, we went up there the other day and I let loose about 100 rounds of 12 guage among other things.. ouch!

Anyway, it is just as you described, about mile marker 102.

It's hard to find. Once you pass the last entrance to the powerplant, (headed North), it's a little over 5 mi., but less than 8, and on the West side from 95. It's about 2 mi. past the sign that says you're in BLM land. Keep looking over there, and you'll see glittering junk.
I just looked at the map, and the place I'm describing isn't on the part of the map that we see. Never mind.

Last edited:
Where you guys say "Sloan", I assume you're talking about the area near mile marker 15 on Las Vegas Boulevard? That place is OK only for brass collecting, and there are maybe a dozen well used areas up in there. Otherwise, it's the Ghetto of shooting areas. I've found stolen/burned cars up there several times, and I'm always leery because many of the people who shoot there are not real savvy of safety. I haven't found a body up there YET...
Go on up to mile marker 12, and follow the road that is marked by a sign for "Nevada liteweight pit, 8 miles". The pavement ends in about 2 miles, and there are 3 good ranges up there. The one I prefer is about .8 mi. past the end of the pavement. You can see the backstops up there that are located at (pretty close to) 100, 200 and 300 yds. Yes, there is still a lot of garbage, but that's what you get, this close to "civilization". I talked to a metro guy up there once, and he said that it's all private property, but the owners are pro-gun :hurray: so shooting is allowed. For about a month, there was actually a dumpster hauled in to the lower range, and it got filled up. I don't know who did the work, but bless 'em. It got dumped once, and then about 2 weeks later, someone shot it full of holes and set fire to it. That was the end of that. The dumpster got pulled, and then signs went in, telling us that people who are caught making a mess will be prosecuted. I'm all for that. I don't care how careful you are, or how well you can shoot, or how good your stories may be. If you dump on my range, you are not allowed to know me.

NoCa$h

Where you guys say "Sloan", I assume you're talking about the area near mile marker 15 on Las Vegas Boulevard? That place is OK only for brass collecting, and there are maybe a dozen well used areas up in there. Otherwise, it's the Ghetto of shooting areas. I've found stolen/burned cars up there several times, and I'm always leery because many of the people who shoot there are not real savvy of safety. I haven't found a body up there YET...
Go on up to mile marker 12, and follow the road that is marked by a sign for "Nevada liteweight pit, 8 miles". The pavement ends in about 2 miles, and there are 3 good ranges up there. The one I prefer is about .8 mi. past the end of the pavement.
Can this place be accessed by an econo-box? Im thinking of heading out to either here or Lovell Canyon again.

*Edit* Also anyone know if this place has opened already? or when its going to open? http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/parks/locations/pages/Shooting_Park.aspx *Edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. A couple weeks ago, I led a fire engine up to one of the deeper spots. If you go on out Las Vegas Blvd. to just about mile marker 12, and turn left at the "Nevada liteweight" sign, it's a bit easier, and it doesn't attract as many jerks. Go to the end of the pavement, over the cattle guard. In about 1/2 mi., you start seeing obvious shooting places on the left. This may be what some call the ravines, because all of the ranges are situated to fire up a ravine, and each little "range" has its own ravine. I like that for ricochet control.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
Yup. A couple weeks ago, I led a fire engine up to one of the deeper spots. If you go on out Las Vegas Blvd. to just about mile marker 12, and turn left at the "Nevada liteweight" sign, it's a bit easier, and it doesn't attract as many jerks. Go to the end of the pavement, over the cattle guard. In about 1/2 mi., you start seeing obvious shooting places on the left. This may be what some call the ravines, because all of the ranges are situated to fire up a ravine, and each little "range" has its own ravine. I like that for ricochet control.
care to explain why a fire engine was there? haha

Just go there! The places near marker 15 get a lot of traffic from "normal" cars. There's an old Mexican guy who drives a Crown Vic or something, and he's always up there collecting brass. He gathered up a bunch of range garbage and set fire to it. That caused a lot of smoke, and someone called the FD. I was about ready to leave, and saw them trying to get in from the Blvd, so I showed them the place. Pretty often, I find burned out cars up there, which is a big part of why I prefer to go on up to the liteweight mine road. You still see a lot of trash, but not like the place near MM 15. I sometimes feel like I'll find a body in those places at MM15 :scared:
I drive a white Subaru Forester. If you see me out there, stop and say hi!