• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Google Maps: Las Vegas area shooting spots

garand_guy

Obsessed Member

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Have not been to one of our prime shooting spots not far off the road off LV Blvd around Jean in about a year (yeah, been using other places). This spot was used by few for years, but it seems to have gotten out. Its a shame what has happened to it. Trash everywhere. There was next to no trash 1 year ago, and now its littered. This is why our lands keep getting closed. ****ing pathetic *******s.

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016/01/desert-shooting-spots-in-southern-nevada.html

:eek:ut: It's still so confusing. It states at the bottom that tannerite is prohibited on BLM land but all the places I'm being told to use tannerite by gun store workers and others who have used tannerite are a part of BLM land.

I was took my boys shooting near that sandy valley area and we had tannerite with us and had planned to shoot at it but we had to leave. We were there for about 2hrs total but around the 45mins before we left there was a car that pulled up near not far from where we were shooting. The driver was using his binoculars the whole time. I didn't think much of it but as we were leaving I looked at his license plate and it had BLM as part of the #. I guess we would've gotten fined had we used the tannerite.

So where are we supposed to use this stuff?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
...We were there for about 2hrs total but around the 45mins before we left there was a car that pulled up near not far from where we were shooting. The driver was using his binoculars the whole time. I didn't think much of it but as we were leaving I looked at his license plate and it had BLM as part of the #. I guess we would've gotten fined had we used the tannerite...
I've heard a few horror stories from folks that were spied on by the BLM during shooting in the desert. Usually they come up on you as you are packing to leave and you didn't even know where they were.

One student was shooting with a friend for about 4 hours. They had brought their own real target stand and when they were done, they picked up all their trash and shell casings. As they were leaving, the BLM blocked their truck and detained and disarmed them because during the 4-hour surveillance, they saw that ONE TIME that one of them shot at a piece of glass trash that was ALREADY THERE. The ticket would have been several hundred dollars, but the judge threw it out. Your tax dollars at work.

I guess there are those who will argue that it served them right for shooting a piece of glass and that government surveillance on citizens' recreation on public lands is justified.

ColtBill45

Hydrostatic shock creator
http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016/01/desert-shooting-spots-in-southern-nevada.html

:eek:ut: It's still so confusing. It states at the bottom that tannerite is prohibited on BLM land but all the places I'm being told to use tannerite by gun store workers and others who have used tannerite are a part of BLM land.

I was took my boys shooting near that sandy valley area and we had tannerite with us and had planned to shoot at it but we had to leave. We were there for about 2hrs total but around the 45mins before we left there was a car that pulled up near not far from where we were shooting. The driver was using his binoculars the whole time. I didn't think much of it but as we were leaving I looked at his license plate and it had BLM as part of the #. I guess we would've gotten fined had we used the tannerite.

So where are we supposed to use this stuff?

Be VERY careful shooting anywhere near Sandy Valley. It's now considered city limits and Metro is not nice about catching people shooting around that area.

I've heard a few horror stories from folks that were spied on by the BLM during shooting in the desert. Usually they come up on you as you are packing to leave and you didn't even know where they were.

One student was shooting with a friend for about 4 hours. They had brought their own real target stand and when they were done, they picked up all their trash and shell casings. As they were leaving, the BLM blocked their truck and detained and disarmed them because during the 4-hour surveillance, they saw that ONE TIME that one of them shot at a piece of glass trash that was ALREADY THERE. The ticket would have been several hundred dollars, but the judge threw it out. Your tax dollars at work.

I guess there are those who will argue that it served them right for shooting a piece of glass and that government surveillance on citizens' recreation on public lands is justified.
This was what I was afraid of. We had brought milk jugs filled with water but we had a trash bag and pick those up as well as our casings but we were shooting at stuff that was already there like the case of a big computer, one of those skinny cones for road work and there was even a big orange diamond sign with a stand for road work but we didn't shoot that.
As I was leaving I kept checking my mirrors to see if the guy followed but he just pulled farther up from where he was and got out.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tip. What about lovell canyon? It's near sandy valley..
Lovell is USFS, not BLM.

But stay to the west of the road. It's not far from the Red Rock Canyon boundary, and for some reason BLM has presence in a State Park!

Last edited:

Ed1963

Pro Constitution
Actually, it happened under the watch of Bush the Elder in 1990.
thx mac I couldn't remember if it was bush1 or ole slick willie I know ole slick willie closed a lot of land out west. we have been able to reopen a lot but there's still some closed from way back then. nothing like driven down trail you've a zillion times just to run into a dirt berm or plastic stake in center of trail. don't cross either lol :hand: me and a friend got a very stern warning one time. ranger knew we rock hounded out there so he didn't arrest or ticket us

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Just saw on the news the LV Blvd proposed expansion to Primm. Besides raising our gas taxes (dont we pay enough already compared to the rest of the country?), this would almost guarantee closure of any shooting locations off LV Blvd. Going to be a big year for voting I guess.

All just to "ease the congestion" of Commiefornia travelers. **** that!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Just saw on the news the LV Blvd proposed expansion to Primm. Besides raising our gas taxes (dont we pay enough already compared to the rest of the country?), this would almost guarantee closure of any shooting locations off LV Blvd. Going to be a big year for voting I guess.

All just to "ease the congestion" of Commiefornia travelers. **** that!
How does extending a two-lane road; with access only at Sloan, Jean, and Primm; ease the congestion of the six-lane highway?

The chokepoint is already on the California side.

The choke point is at Primm as it narrows from three to two lanes. I work in Ca during the week and drive over. It is now an hour plus to get that far

Ed1963

Pro Constitution
sloan approx. 8 miles up lv blvd from saint rose pkwy on left just as you hit the rise out of the valley. sloan itself is approx. 3 miles from saint rose the era used to be closed to shooting mon thru Friday only open weekends because of gravel trucks and such unsure if it still is. haven't been there in about 4 yrs haven't felt safe last few times I went there to many people some shooting any which way almost.

remember shoot to the north or south when out there and pls remove what you bring had one shooting southeast one time I had my boys out with me. after I was done when I had 2 ricochets I called it a day. then I approached the shooter and said hey WTF were you learn your firearm shooting etiquette at ??? didn't you see me and my sons there he said yes and then apologized. I was angry but not to overly in my presentation

on google earth just find sloan move south along lv blvd and on the left you'll see the shooting era cant miss that mess :(

as a teenager in the 70's I used to shoot out there a lot with family and friends