• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Google Maps: Las Vegas area shooting spots

Hmm, welll it's over 500 ft from the nearest road so I do not think it is within city limits. While walking around I also saw some shooting detritus there. Enough to indicate a fairly long range session.
https://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/lvfo_recreation/target_shooting_and.html
The Southern Nevada District Office offers many opportunities for target shooting and hunting on public lands. While shooting is legal on most public lands, there are no designated shooting areas. Public lands are multiple-use and other people and livestock may be present, so please follow these guidelines:

• You must be at least 1,000 feet from roads and houses
• Never shoot from or over any road or highway
• Always use a safe backdrop
• Glass targets are prohibited
• Carry in your targets and carry out all litter, brass and shell casings

While most public lands are available for shooting, there are several exceptions. Shooting is not allowed in the following areas managed by the Southern Nevada District Office:

• Apex
• Nellis Dunes
• Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
• Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area
• Sunrise Mountain

Within the Las Vegas Valley, shooting is not allowed.
The boundaries are:

• North – Apex on I-15 or Lee Canyon on US 95
• South – Sloan Exit on I-15 or mile marker 14.5 on State Route 604
• East – National Park Service’s Lake Mead National Recreation Area
• West – U.S. Forest Service’s Spring Mountains National Recreation Area

The shooting detritus was at the end of the white trail. It's about 1200 ft from the actual road.

Per the BLM map, that area is just south of the "no shooting" zone, which ends at around Starr Ave.

I sent an email to LVMPD about it, so I'll let you know what they come back with.

That would be great if it is allowed, keep us posted.

However, according to the link I posted, wouldn't that still be considered "in the Las Vegas Valley" as they define it, as it is NOT "south of Sloan"? or is it?

I see what you're saying, and yeah, it could be interpreted that way.

But since they took the time to draw out an irregular map indicating the no shooting zones, rather than a box limited by the bounds that you listed, I would think that this area is good to go.

The question:

On the NevadaCarry.org map, there's a large area of BLM land in SW Las Vegas (directly below Mountain Edge) between Red Rock and I-15. Is it legal to shoot here?

Here's a pic of the spot I scouted:

You should not shoot here.
Metro rolls by 2 times a day to check, and the air unit is always looking.
I've heard at least 4 calls over the scanner here over the past few months for people shooting here.

Not saying it is or is not legal. Just letting you know you will be dealing with Metro if you do shoot here.

Last edited:
You should not shot here.
Metro rolls by 2 times a day to check, and the air unit is always looking.
I've heard at least 4 calls over the scanner here over the past few months for people shooting here.

Not saying it is or is not legal. Just letting you know you will be dealing with Metro if you do shoot here.
Interesting.

I found two old threads about this area - one was about people shooting too close to the road, but implied that shooting farther away was fine.

The other was more interesting - it mentioned posted signs that said both shooting and motorized vehicles weren't allowed. The author visited BLM and they clarified that shooting was allowed there, but you could not gain access to this area with a motorized vehicle if it meant passing through the protected zone. Post is here.

I drove by there again today and indeed, at any turn off from Buffalo leading to the white dirt road area, there are signs stating no motorized vehicles. And since you can't park on Starr Ave, you'd have a tough time reaching that area legally by vehicle.

Worse case scenario, you get someone to drop you off at the end of Starr Ave and you hump your gear 1000ft from the road, then set up to shoot legally.

Worse case scenario, you get someone to drop you off at the end of Starr Ave and you hump your gear 1000ft from the road, then set up to shoot legally.
Yeah like I said not sure if its legal or not. Just know Ive heard the calls go out for 434 (Illegal Shooting) at Buffalo and Starr.
I looked at the map as the air unit was directing the patrol car to them one time. They were inside the blue circle you drew.

On another call I heard the Sargent reiterate that there was to be twice daily patrols of the area, might have been twice a shift I forget.

Hmm. Well hopefully Metro will respond to my email and clarify it once and for all, ideally with the statute referencing why it is illegal. So far I haven't found anything indicating that it is.

Hey guys, I live in the area and used to go out there all the time, the issue is no off-roading and I've got a BLM trespassing ticket to prove it. The area you circled on the satellite is the end of a wash, and fenced in along the back road. There's a desert tortoise habitat back there and they are protective of the area. I would always head out from the end of Durango east towards the wash then cut up the side of the wash and make my way West as far from the streets as possible. Plenty of people get out there I have a handful of times, but $150 ticket if they catch you.

Hey guys, I live in the area and used to go out there all the time, the issue is no off-roading and I've got a BLM trespassing ticket to prove it. The area you circled on the satellite is the end of a wash, and fenced in along the back road. There's a desert tortoise habitat back there and they are protective of the area. I would always head out from the end of Durango east towards the wash then cut up the side of the wash and make my way West as far from the streets as possible. Plenty of people get out there I have a handful of times, but $150 ticket if they catch you.
Did they ticket you because you were using a vehicle, or were you on foot and they ticketed you for trespassing?

Does anyone know which of the mapped shooting spots or elsewhere in the desert would be the most like an action bay? Something that might be 25-50 yards deep that allows for some 3-sided shooting (front and as much to the sides as possible)? A group of us would like to set up some 3gun stages to practice. Thank you!

Bohemian

Obsessed Member
Shooting Spot Closure By NPS on BLM Public Land

Is it even legal for the NPS National Park Service to post no shooting signs on BLM Public Land that isn't on the Clark County Shooting Closure Maps?

95 N. Just past corn creek road.

N 36°26.355
W 115°25.773

Damm sign's all over now, it's officially a gun confiscation zone...

Anyone know IF NPS overstepped their authority here?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Is it even legal for the NPS National Park Service to post no shooting signs on BLM Public Land that isn't on the Clark County Shooting Closure Maps?

95 N. Just past corn creek road.

N 36°26.355
W 115°25.773

Damm sign's all over now, it's officially a gun confiscation zone...

Anyone know IF NPS overstepped their authority here?

Thanks in advance
That area has been part of the Tule Springs Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument for 3 years this Dec. First year they were not enforcing the NPS designation. last year They were rolling thru on an occasional basis asking people to leave. I got dinged a few months back with a park ranger sitting at the top of the hill near the entrance handing out pamphlets and advising there was no shooting allowed anymore. He was nice about it but I am sure they were taking tag numbers.
I am not sure what you mean by a 'gun confiscation zone'. Has anyone had their firearms confiscated? Or are they just kicking people out? AFAIK you can still carry firearms in NPS designated land in accordance with state law, you just can't shoot there.

Bohemian

Obsessed Member
That area has been part of the Tule Springs Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument for 3 years this Dec. First year they were not enforcing the NPS designation. last year They were rolling thru on an occasional basis asking people to leave. I got dinged a few months back with a park ranger sitting at the top of the hill near the entrance handing out pamphlets and advising there was no shooting allowed anymore. He was nice about it but I am sure they were taking tag numbers.
I am not sure what you mean by a 'gun confiscation zone'. Has anyone had their firearms confiscated? Or are they just kicking people out? AFAIK you can still carry firearms in NPS designated land in accordance with state law, you just can't shoot there.
Thanks for the info, still haven't found that new national monument reference anywhere that I'd expect to find it, like shooting closure maps, topo maps, etc., that typically delineate such things very well. All the current ones I have printed & digital clearly state BLM Public Land.

Moreover, no national monument sign's, just no shooting, no dumping NPS sign's like I posted. While just a few miles in other directions one can find national monument, wilderness study areas etc unrelated.

It seems if it was a legit shooting closure, national monument, etc., there'd be some better signage that you'd see before getting off the 95.

As far as a potential gun confiscation zone, I ascertained that IF a ranger, police officer etc., drummed up their version of probable cause they could confiscate firearms in a designated no shooting area. It's not unheard of.

Peace.

Bohemian

Obsessed Member
Just found this NPS Map dated a few weeks ago, appears to be the only thing showing the actual boundaries of the new shooting closure area for all Intent's and purposes that effectively annexes public BLM managed land.
https://www.nps.gov/tusk/planyourvisit/maps.htm

The entire earth that isn't currently under water fits the description and , designation and justification for this so called national monument IMHO.

Somehow I think some Obama loving gun grabbing democrat was behind this bs.