• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Google Maps: Las Vegas area shooting spots

Sin City Shootist

Any body been to the Light weight sand pit south off 15 AKA Hub Cap pit

looking to pop a few rounds thru a chrono and I'm sure the CCSP would have a hissie fit if I set a Chrono up there...plus

I couldn't depend on their Range "OFFICERS" to keep their hands off what doesn't belong to them

Hello guys,

I'm going to head out to Lovell canyon tomorrow morning. I've read a few posts about the road being under construction? What about rain/water damage? I have an awd car...I'm not "afraid" of some dirt/little mud...but it won't handle rocks/ruts. Am I alright? Anything else I should know?

Just checking in, so I don't ruin my son's morning :)

Thanks!!

Alright, so I'll do my own check up...

Road is fine. I didn't realize it was paved the entire way. No construction.

The spot is disgusting. Littered with bottles, cans, shotgun shells, washing machines, wood, etc, etc, etc...I guess its to be expected.

Overall, it was a very good day of shooting.

steve

Obsessed Member
Alright, so I'll do my own check up...

Road is fine. I didn't realize it was paved the entire way. No construction.

The spot is disgusting. Littered with bottles, cans, shotgun shells, washing machines, wood, etc, etc, etc...I guess its to be expected.

Overall, it was a very good day of shooting.
Several of us from the big circus here in town, go up about twice a month. We always haul out a bunch of extra bags and boxes full of trash. It helps a little but people do pile up crap quick out there.

My son and I filled a kitchen bag with trash before we left, but there is so much out there, it didn't make a dent.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think its alright to trash the outdoors. Makes me sick. It makes us all look bad.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
My son and I filled a kitchen bag with trash before we left, but there is so much out there, it didn't make a dent.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think its alright to trash the outdoors. Makes me sick. It makes us all look bad.
Here's a link to our first shoot there, with pics of the shoot and bags of trash we hauled out.

Too bad stupid shooters have no respect for any area, let alone a National Forest area! :mad5:

ElevenBravo

did the marker for Sloan get removed from the map? was thinking of going there to do some shooting (thankfully, not this weekend) but couldn't find the marker for it.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
did the marker for Sloan get removed from the map? was thinking of going there to do some shooting (thankfully, not this weekend) but couldn't find the marker for it.
A couple areas are known as Sloan. Most of us are familiar with the 'Hubcap Spot' in that area. It's on the map.

Do yourself a favor and pass the Sloan spot and take the first left at the lakebed. Lots of spots up there without the idiots.

Went out to Jean today and marked off to 400 yards. Starting point is the big piece of wood at the end that I always set my target on. This one's at 200:

BTW none of that is my trash. Maybe this will be useful to someone.

ElevenBravo

good god, just came back from sloan. apart from having ammo issues again- holy crap that place is a mess. i can see why blm wants to shut it down to shooting- we don't deserve a place like that if we're going to destroy it the way it is.

as an additional element of excitement, i had to deal with a stupid ******* on an quad who drove right in front of my rifle targets and started doing donuts, completely oblivious to the fact that he was about 4 pounds of pressure away from having a bad day.

Soan or Jean what part?

I went down to Jean earlier and there were two guys waiting for a couple others, but there was a guy all the way at the end of the horseshoe. I tried to convince him he should go back a couple hundred yards...no dice. I drove to the other side of the lakebed to a secluded place. Very nice but I almost got my van stuck.

ElevenBravo

sloan, right next to the pit on the right hand side. I drove about half a mile or so in, and got some very strange looks from people watching a Prius going offroad, but turned around after it looked like I really needed more ground clearance, and settled in next to the pit.

a carful of Brosephs were blasting away without a care in the world next to me. that's a scary place to be. wife was kind of annoyed that as soon as a group of people left, this minivan would pull up and snarf all the brass. if only they were as diligent picking up the millions of shotgun hulls, broken toilets, televisions, couches and tons of other garbage...

swagger

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Anyone been to the "Hubcap Spot / Southern Nevada Lightweight Sand Pit"
recently?

It's the spot by Jean right near the 15.
Just got back from here. We didn't go too far in, and saw a fair amount of garbage, but nothing like I've seen it at other sites.

There were a few other shooters there. We found a spot that had line of sight to a berm just under 100 yds out, and several closer berms we could also use. Not bad overall, but not much in the way of distance. Probably should have gone further in.

If you want to go any further than just off the pavement, you'll need a high clearance vehicle, and 4wd would make some portions of the road a lot less questionable. It's not hard to get stuck in some of the sand & gravel out there with just a 2wd.

I personally like going to Sloan myself, I enjoy my time there the most in the early morning hours when I'm left to my devices and don't have to come across some unsafe shooters. Aside from there and Lovell Canyon, I wish there was another good shooting area closer to the southwest side i.e. Mountains Edge, Southern Highlands and Silverado Ranch side.

As well as some others on previous posts I'm of the school of thought that what ever I bring out there comes back with me. Old military habits die hard, and as much as I would like to do some area beautification it is fairly hard to just clean up there because of some unsafe firearms practices. Also the family that picks up the brass are sometimes not cognizant of people running drills and come up to ask if they can pick up brass, which I find highly dangerous especially if they come up on an unexperienced shooters back.

I heard some people complain about people going somewhere past some of the Mountains Edge communities and shooting. I don't know if that's legal or safe for that matter.

mdslammer

MDslammer
Forum Supporter
Went out to Jean today and marked off to 400 yards. Starting point is the big piece of wood at the end that I always set my target on. This one's at 200:

BTW none of that is my trash. Maybe this will be useful to someone.

This looks like the LD spot #1. If it is, I placed markers to the far left road of
the 3 leading towards the base of the mountain.
There is a berm which is 0. Works back in 100 yard increments to 1100.

This looks like the LD spot #1. If it is, I placed markers to the far left road of
the 3 leading towards the base of the mountain.
There is a berm which is 0. Works back in 100 yard increments to 1100.
Yes thats the place. The post was from six months ago before I discovered the farthest road on the left. I noticed all the markers AFTER purchasing a range finder.

Been down to the end of the road a few times and like you said the berm is 1100 and the center of the horseshoe is 1200. Quickdraw informs me there's a target up on the hill that stretches it even further but I haven't attempted it yet.