Google Maps: Las Vegas area shooting spots

mdslammer

MDslammer
Forum Supporter
Yes thats the place. The post was from six months ago before I discovered the farthest road on the left. I noticed all the markers AFTER purchasing a range finder.

Been down to the end of the road a few times and like you said the berm is 1100 and the center of the horseshoe is 1200. Quickdraw informs me there's a target up on the hill that stretches it even further but I haven't attempted it yet.
Well, the range finder won't go bad. And the target QD is talking about is half
the way up the hill. The last time I saw it, it was painted green...

Well, the range finder won't go bad. And the target QD is talking about is half
the way up the hill. The last time I saw it, it was painted green...
Yeah, I just need to remember to throw a couple extra batteries in the gun bag. Seems like the range finder dies at the most inopportune moments. After races out there, usually a bunch of the markers are gone anyway.

I may try to get out this weekend if the wind cooperates and hit the green target.

93@Apex was my favorite place to go shoot. Last month I went, and it seems the place has been fenced off. You can still shoot there, but in a significantly smaller area, and severely limited distances. There was also a large pile of trash, as if the area was being cleaned up. But the day i went there were 3 other trucks there, and it was so crowded I just left. Are we looking at a case of BLM eminent domain here?

WTF

So, I have never been up to the "shooting area" off of 95 - by Lee Canyon turn off. I went up there to check it out this afternoon. Let me say this.......

What a ****ing joke. I turned off the 95 - because I saw all of the cars out there. Drove down a bit. Saw people walking in with guns in hands, people parked 50' away from each other - shooting in all kinds of different directions. I did not even get out of my truck.

I could not believe the madness up there. Has anyone had any good experiences up in that area? :frown5:

ColtBill45

Hydrostatic shock creator
So, I have never been up to the "shooting area" off of 95 - by Lee Canyon turn off. I went up there to check it out this afternoon. Let me say this.......

What a ****ing joke. I turned off the 95 - because I saw all of the cars out there. Drove down a bit. Saw people walking in with guns in hands, people parked 50' away from each other - shooting in all kinds of different directions. I did not even get out of my truck.

I could not believe the madness up there. Has anyone had any good experiences up in that area? :frown5:
Nothing but bad experiences for me. My last trip out there we had bullets tumbling a few feet from us that led me to packing up and leaving immediately. Those people who shoot to the left of LV Blvd just past Sloan are no better. This is why I always drive out a bit further to the Hubcap spot where I've never had any issues.

Once again I just don't get it. We have been going there for years. Shelly has spent a few times walking and driving the whole area talking to people who are out there shooting.

We have brought out kids and grand kids out there for years and never had a single problem.

People can easily park close to each other out there because there are numerous backstops located all over the place. I've never seen anyone shooting at a dangerous angle putting anyone else in jeopardy.

If you like the confinement and rigid rules of the range and you are looking for the same in the desert you aren't going to find it.

If you like the freedom to shoot with your kids, teach them gun safety and marksmanship at your own leisurely pace the desert is the place to do it. It is the only option we have here. It would be nice if we could all shoot in our back yard like many of us grew up doing, but it's not happening here.

If you don't like it please stay away. But for goodness sakes please stop complaining about a place you don't want to go to anyway leaving a trail of crumbs for those who would like nothing more than to take away the last bit of shooting freedom we have an close these places down.

OK, I give up. You guys win. The best way to put a good face on gun owners is to complain about everything every other gun owner does from the way they carry to the way they shoot in the desert. I will join you from now on and start complaining too. Good grief.

ElevenBravo

Once again I just don't get it. We have been going there for years. Shelly has spent a few times walking and driving the whole area talking to people who are out there shooting.

We have brought out kids and grand kids out there for years and never had a single problem.

People can easily park close to each other out there because there are numerous backstops located all over the place. I've never seen anyone shooting at a dangerous angle putting anyone else in jeopardy.

If you like the confinement and rigid rules of the range and you are looking for the same in the desert you aren't going to find it.

If you like the freedom to shoot with your kids, teach them gun safety and marksmanship at your own leisurely pace the desert is the place to do it. It is the only option we have here. It would be nice if we could all shoot in our back yard like many of us grew up doing, but it's not happening here.

If you don't like it please stay away. But for goodness sakes please stop complaining about a place you don't want to go to anyway leaving a trail of crumbs for those who would like nothing more than to take away the last bit of shooting freedom we have an close these places down.

Code:
 0      <- you                                    the point -> .
---
 |
 /\

Whatever dude. I'm not into shooting around a bunch of "lets go bust some caps" kind of idiots. I saw people out there with no clue of gun safety. Let alone the sign's that state to pick up after your self. Ha - I saw so much freakin trash and casing's out there it was pathetic. The reason those areas are taken away - is due to people that act the way I saw....and do not clean up after themselves. AGAIN, idiots with no clue. Have fun out there. I won't be back. :crap:

Export the map or waypoint out

Is there a way to export out the waypoints or map so I can carry it with my on my phone or tablet without data connection? I use motion x app and would be great if someone could help out.

Vegas_boy

Born and Raised In Vegas
Has anyone recently been to the shooting location on the 93 past Apex? I'm looking to do some shooting between 200-300 yards and want to make sure it will be wide enough

talley

Huckle Bearer
Thanks for the map. Is it still up to date?
I was looking around to see about a spot to go shooting in the NW and I read about MM103 being closed. It's been a few years since I went shooting in the local desert.
Anybody else on here have any suggestions for locations in the NW?

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Thanks for the map. Is it still up to date?
I was looking around to see about a spot to go shooting in the NW and I read about MM103 being closed. It's been a few years since I went shooting in the local desert.
Anybody else on here have any suggestions for locations in the NW?
I was out to MM 103 just before Christmas for a drive thru and fact finding mission, and there was still a lot of activity there for a weekday. Talked with a guy picking up shells and trash and he indicated it was still open as far as he knew. Looked to me like they took down the 'shooters pick up your stuff' signs, but there were no barriers to entry. i would think it's a situation where the BLM could show up anytime and kick you out, but there does not appear to be any full court press to keep people out.

HoJo

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
I shot for a couple of hours out at mile marker 103 today. There were a few other shooters out there. Everything seem like before except for the missing sign to pick up your stuff.