• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Got a new job

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
As some of you know, I fled to NV from the "Banana Republic" across the mountain about 14 months ago, without a fortune from selling a home (I rented in CA, currently rent here), or a huge pension, or even a guaranteed job, and have been working as a form of documented and taxed day laborer (substitute teacher) since my escape to "Free America".

Yesterday afternoon, I was offerred, and accepted, full time employment at a rural NV public school.

Some (well, at least one person who trolls these forums) may find it hard to believe that a newcomer to the state, without political or other connections, was able to find a civil service job here in NV. I was pretty sure it was just a matter of time, and building up some strong local references.

My commute is not ideal, but I will be spending less time in my car traveling the 70+ miles to my new job than I spent sitting in my car, in traffic, traveling the 23 miles I used to travel from my CA home to my CA job. Also, the scenery is beautiful.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Congrats!
That's great.
(As long as you aren't in Washoe or Clark county. Those districts truly suck.)

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
As some of you know, I fled to NV from the "Banana Republic" across the mountain about 14 months ago, without a fortune from selling a home (I rented in CA, currently rent here), or a huge pension, or even a guaranteed job, and have been working as a form of documented and taxed day laborer (substitute teacher) since my escape to "Free America".

Yesterday afternoon, I was offerred, and accepted, full time employment at a rural NV public school.

Some (well, at least one person who trolls these forums) may find it hard to believe that a newcomer to the state, without political or other connections, was able to find a civil service job here in NV. I was pretty sure it was just a matter of time, and building up some strong local references.

My commute is not ideal, but I will be spending less time in my car traveling the 70+ miles to my new job than I spent sitting in my car, in traffic, traveling the 23 miles I used to travel from my CA home to my CA job. Also, the scenery is beautiful.

Congratulations.

-

I remember my commute back in L.A. An hour and a half to go 22 miles!

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
I like that the most likely "traffic jam" I currently hit while commuting is wild horses in the road - they usually move off in a few minutes, and are beautiful to watch.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I
I had a car like that once, too.
I wish it WAS the car! Not the 3 million people all wanting to go to downtown L.A. at the same time! :)

-

I started riding my Harley instead.

In the free state of Cali, motorcycles can split lanes, and my commute was cut in more than half!

Lost_Vegas

Obsessed Member
As long as it's not CCSD congratulations; I offer only my condolences to those unfortunate enough to enter into an employment "contract" with our "local" school district.

Wow, good job. But lets look below to clear up some things...

Some (well, at least one person who trolls these forums)...
I dont know who actually "trolls" these forums, but I can speak for myself. Having an opinion and sharing it here is NOT "trolling", its just a difference in opinion. Because some people here get triggered easily and offended, they transition using "freedom of speech and expression" and a different opinion into trolling. (Yes, Freedom of Speech is void here on private property, but I am still using the right given to me). So if we can some how educate the few who still think that if you disagree with someone, its simply a disagreement and not "trolling", then we would have made progress here. Lets start with you?

...may find it hard to believe that a newcomer to the state, without political or other connections, was able to find a civil service job here in NV. I was pretty sure it was just a matter of time, and building up some strong local references.
Like I have posted here several times, I am a former Nevada resident and state civil servant, long before you. Some of the slower members here still cant wrap their head around this. Unlike you putting in 14 months in an "extra help" position, I was quickly hired full time in 1996 with benefits a week later after interviewing because of my professional background and having no "political or other connections" as you put it. When I arrived in Reno, I didnt know a soul, but quickly proved myself in my work field and earned the respect of my peers. In fact, I was moved up to an acting supervisor level capacity within a couple of weeks and over seeing one employee in the field. Local references and connections- I am still friends with my former Nevada co-workers and we stay in touch on Facebook. As a complete stranger, I touched down in Nevada and did very well and established myself, not hard to do or worth posting about, in my opinion. Your skills, education, training and experience should speak for you and not just your zip code or family connections, in my opinion.

Mr. B- Keep in mind that our career fields are different and there are alot of unfilled teacher jobs in Nevada and across the country, you dont even need a teaching credential in Utah now to instruct in a classroom, thanks to the low pay and non union working conditions- Link. (non union jobs usually pay alot less with less benefits, hopefully you will be union in the new position) Like I have posted here before, I was exploring some opportunities in rural Nevada, but as the most qualified candidate, they choose someone else based on their locality only and not who is best qualified, its just the Nevada way- locals rule. Its actually sad, because in a life safety situation, I rather have the most qualified person helping me instead of someone less qualified and chosen by their zip code only. *scratches head*

So Mr. B, you're wrong here on both points. I entered a full-time career benefited Nevada civil service 21 years prior to yourself and could have stayed there forever. But like most in my Nevada office, left the poor management style and non-progressive stale position for better pay, benefits and working conditions in Califorina. And unlike you, I still have my Nevada PERS. :)

Last edited:
@desertrunner guys happy he got a job. Why do you have to (poop) on his parade? Seems like everything you post is negative and demeaning....Mr. B congrats on your new job.
Well, the guy did call me out in post #1 and publicly bashed me here, so I just wrote him back and clarified two details. Why not just annouce you got a new job without mentioning "trolling" or "local connections" in an effort to smear me? The first three words I wrote was "Wow, good job". Next time dont call me out and bash me if you dont want a come back then. Again, the slow learners in here.

Last edited:

Ka Lbo

Forum Supporter
Wow, good job. But lets look below to clear up some things...

I dont know who actually "trolls" these forums, but I can speak for myself. Having an opinion and sharing it here is NOT "trolling", its just a difference in opinion. Because some people here get triggered easily and offended, they transition using "freedom of speech and expression" into trolling. (Yes, Freedom of Speech is void here on private property, but I am still using the right given to me). So if we can some how educate the few who still think that if you disagree with someone, its simply a disagreement and not "trolling", then we would have made progress here. Lets start with you?

Like I have posted here several times, I am a former Nevada resident and state civil servant, long before you. Some of the slower members here still cant wrap their head around this. Unlike you putting in 14 months, in 1996, I was quickly hired a week later after interviewing (full time with benefits) because of my professional background and having NO "political or other connections" as you put it. When I arrived in Reno, I didnt know a soul, but quickly proved myself in my work field and earned the respect of my peers. In fact, I was moved up to an acting supervisor level capacity within a couple of weeks and over seeing one employee in the field. Local references and connections- I am still friends with my former Nevada co-workers and we stay in touch on Facebook. As a complete stranger, I touched down in Nevada and did very well and established myself, not hard to do or worth posting about, in my opinion. Your skills, education, training and experience should speak for you and not just your zip code or family connections, in my opinion.

Mr. B- Keep in mind that our career fields are different and there are alot of unfilled teacher jobs in Nevada and across the country, you dont even need a teaching credential in Utah now to instruct in a classroom, thanks to the low pay and non union working conditions- Link. (non union jobs usually pay alot less with less benefits, hopefully you will be union in the new position) Like I have posted here before, I was exploring some opportunities in rural Nevada, but as the most qualified candidate, they choose someone else based on their locality only and not who is best qualified, its just the Nevada way- locals rule. Its actually sad, because in a life safety situation, I rather have the most qualified person helping me instead of someone less qualified and chosen by their zip code only. *scratches head*

So Mr. B, you're wrong here on both points. I entered Nevada civil service 21 years prior to yourself and could have stayed there forever. But like most in my Nevada office, left the poor management style and non-progressive stale position for better pay, benefits and working conditions in Califorina. And unlike you, I still have my Nevada PERS. :)

Laughable.

Don't know who Mr B was referring to in his initial post. No names cited that I recall. But, I, perhaps some or many NS members thought of one NS poster (self avowed logical braniac) that always has ill thoughts for just about everything NV. Always hammering away at NV with an ever present anti NV yammering. NV is corrupt (1 of 1, 1 of 5, 1 of 10 with no references), failure to hire wonderful qualified candidates, EMT in NV is lacking, disgruntled Sheriff's office(s), etc. In the latter example, clearly didn't realize one plus one is greater than, well, one. Brilliant is not the starting point on that, one. No pun intended. States NV folks are slow. Think about that. No, don't bother, it requires a bare minimum of logic. "Speaking of slow learners." Laughable.

Consider the brilliance and level of common sense...to stay in komifornia...while literally millions recognize the cesspool komifornia is. Those millions flee the cesspool komifornia.

Good to know you are thrilled with komifornia and wish you well. President Trump aptly described some countries as sh!tholes. CA while not a country, fits the basic description , commonly all too literally, a sh!thole. Trying to be helpful here, perhaps apply the brilliance shared here with komifornians. Bet they'll immediately identify with the superior intellect, acknowledged by one.

Laughable.

Don't know who Mr B was referring to in his initial post. No names cited that I recall. But, I, perhaps some or many NS members thought of one NS poster (self avowed logical braniac) that always has ill thoughts for just about everything NV. Always hammering away at NV with an ever present anti NV yammering. NV is corrupt (1 of 1, 1 of 5, 1 of 10 with no references), failure to hire wonderful qualified candidates, EMT in NV is lacking, disgruntled Sheriff's office(s), etc. In the latter example, clearly didn't realize one plus one is greater than, well, one. Brilliant is not the starting point on that, one. No pun intended. States NV folks are slow. Think about that. No, don't bother, it requires a bare minimum of logic. "Speaking of slow learners." Laughable.

Consider the brilliance and level of common sense...to stay in komifornia...while literally millions recognize the cesspool komifornia is. Those millions flee the cesspool komifornia.

Good to know you are thrilled with komifornia and wish you well. President Trump aptly described some countries as sh!tholes. CA while not a country, fits the basic description , commonly all too literally, a sh!thole. Trying to be helpful here, perhaps apply the brilliance shared here with komifornians. Bet they'll immediately identify with the superior intellect, acknowledged by one.
Funny how you are a hypocrite. You take the time to go off topic here, twist details and lie about past information I have posted here, all in an effort to also discredit and smear me here. And on top of that, make it another California bashing thread. How about instead of being a slow learner and getting easily triggered, you just stay on topic, congratuate the guy on his new job and keep your negative comments to yourself instead of also calling me out here? You pretty much proved my points here.

And anti Nevada? Nope, not me, I just call it as I see it. Corruption, cronyism , and nepotism, its all here, i just pointed it out.
Note to Admins- I did not start the negativity here or attack anyone here, just responded to the call out. So please dont blame me.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
Unlike you putting in 14 months in an "extra help" position
How many days of substitute teaching have you done? How many terms as a "teacher of record", even if only there temporarily?

You might find it a lot harder than you think - particularly if you don't just "half-ass" it.

But hey, aren't you in a field where you get paid to sleep, eat, and hang out gawking at women at the supermarket, then scam overtime and try to rip the taxpayers off with retirement scams? After all, those are stereotypes some have about firefighters/paramedics.

Your skills, education, training and experience should speak for you and not just your zip code or family connections, in my opinion.
When I was interviewing prior to moving here, one person on a hiring panel told me that they have had problems before with hiring people from outside of the area, who quit soon after starting, because they couldn't handle living in the local area - which is a less populated/rural area. I see that as a legitimate concern.

Nevada is not the only place where people do not like to hire candidates "sight unseen", and there are probably plenty of stories here of people getting hired form far away who just didn't fit in with the team - as there are everywhere.

Having excellent references from people and organizations that the hiring panel are unfamiliar with will not go as far as having excellent references from people and organizations that the hiring panel are familiar with.

Like I have posted here before, I was exploring some opportunities in rural Nevada, but as the most qualified candidate, they choose someone else based on their locality only and not who is best qualified, its just the Nevada way- locals rule.
And yet - before anyone in Nevada knew you, your attitudes, and your work ethic, a public agency in NV was willing to hire you?
I was quickly hired full time in 1996 with benefits a week later after interviewing because of my professional background
Evidently, something has changed now that you have previously worked in NV, and people in NV know about the qualifty of your work. I'm guessing that there could be a connection.

I got hired after a competitive hiring process, to work at a location 76 miles from where I live, so locality was clearly not the only factor, or even much of a factor at all.

Evidently, you were not the most qualified person, according to their standards - I'm guessing that your attitude probably has something to do with that.

I have been passed over for positions - both here and in CA - where I was certainly a highly qualified candidate, and where many outside observers felt that I was the best qualified candidate. The pattern in CA was that a female candidate in her 20s would be hired instead, even though she lacked the training and experience I have. This included a CA district where I was generally recognized as the one of the top two or three substitute teachers employed by the district while I had been in my credential program, and where I was among the most highly rated student teachers, in multiple assignments - teachers and site adminsitrators loved me - but the HR director wanted to only hire people that could potentially stay there for 30+ years. Sometimes, the jobs went to people related to district employees. Heck, a few years ago in CA, the state schools Superintendent publicly called for only black and Hispanic teachers to be hired to teach in classrooms with black and Hispanic students.

If you wanted to complain about "corruption" and favoritism in the hiring process for public sector jobs in general - which would include the rampant corruption and favoritism in California, you'd probably get a lot more sympathy. But as long as you keep promoting the fiction that this is a Nevada only problem, you won't get much traction.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
How about instead of being a slow learner and getting easily triggered, you just stay on topic, congratuate the guy on his new job and keep your negative comments to yourself
How about you lead by example, instead of attacking me, and trying to mock a group of people who do a very important and often difficult job (substitute teaching) for low pay and no benefits.

I've fought fires a few times while in the military. I've delivered emergency medical assistance to people, both in and out of the military. I've also entered a chaotic classroom full of hostile teenagers, and not only survived, but also connected to them, taught them, and made a positive impact on their lives.

All three are things that take a great deal of effort and skill. All three are things that give immense personal satisfaction when done well, and can be dangerous (to self, as well as others) if done poorly. Just because one is financially compensated at a much lower rate than the other two does not make it unimportant.

Do you also try to dismiss and mock volunteer firefighters, paramedics, and EMTs, or seasonal fire service employees as "extra help"? If so, it would make a lot of sense for the hiring panel of a smaller agency that relies on such team-members to rate you poorly, and not wish to hire you.