Ground Squirrel Hunting

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
It looks like there are places in Nevada, where ground squirrel hunters are welcome, or even encouraged! We live in Dayton, any advice of where we might go within say a 3-hour drive? We used to hunt ground squirrels in California, when I had connections there. Thanks for any advice!

My wife's grandfather used to hunt squirrels back in the Great Depression days. Grandpa said his dad would give him a box of 50 .22LR and tell him he gets one practice shot and he had to bring back 49 squirrels. They ate the squirrels and grandpa's mom made squirrel brain pie... How many freakin' squirrel brains does a squirrel brain pie take??? My brothers, cousins and I shot and cooked a few when we were out working on my Uncle's ranch in northern Cal when I was growing up. We didn't try to make squirrel brain pie, hadn't even heard of that until after meeting my wife's grandfather. They taste like squirrel, closer to rabbit (which we also shot and cooked) than chicken in case there is anyone out there that thinks small critters taste like chicken!

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
Eureka, NV. Drop in at the Mennonite cafe for breakfast. Many of the farmers eat breakfast there every morning. Ask anyone you see, and they will either be a farmer, or know one. Almost all welcome squirrel shooters. The trick is to find a safe shooting line. Lots of homes in the corners of the fields that don't take well to bullets. Probably another 3 or 4 weeks until the alfalfa gets growing and hides the squirrels. They come out when the temperature breaks 60, so just check the weather and head out.

Anyone hear of a squirrel die off in northern Nevada, some kind of plague? I’m headed to Austin/Reese river tomorrow. Someone told me Paradise valley has very little squirrel population. Wondering if Austin is the same?

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
Several of the farmers around Eureka reported that they are all using poisoned cabbage to reduce them. I did not see much change, but I only visited one farm.

I went out near Austin Wednesday, great weather. Most of the pivots had no squirrels, but I found one area where I got 70-80 kills. Usually get 150-200. Used my .17 Mach II. The farmer told me this was one of the least squirrel yield years he’s seen. He doesn’t poison, he relies on shooters.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
Good to hear there were still a few. I didn't get as many as in previous years, but I blamed it on cloud cover. I'll have to go a few more days to get a good read. That shooting bench is the bomb.