• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Group buy

Style of knife most desired

• Bowie Knife

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Camping Knife

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Tactical Knife

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Skinning Knife

• Bush-Craft Knife

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fighting Knife.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jseymour

Obsessed Member
It was pointed out to me a group buy would be a good thing. If you would be interested in a group buy please vote on the style of knife you would be interested in purchasing. I will also post a WIP (work in progress) here on the forum so you can watch your knives being built. Before we go any further though we need to first decide on style.

1. Bowie Knife

2. Camping Knife

3. Tactical Knife

4. Skinning Knife

5. Bush-craft Knife

6. Fighting Knife

If you can think of any styles I forgot please mention them and we will add them to the poll. Once a style is decided on we will design here on this forum with users input. From their I will run down the numbers on how much it will cost to build and sell each one with a discount for Nevada Shooters members.

loic1

Obsessed Member
how would you define a tactile knife vs a fighting knife ? size? folding ?

ill like to get something like the sog seal pup

jseymour

Obsessed Member
how would you define a tactile knife vs a fighting knife ? size? folding ?

ill like to get something like the sog seal pup
A tactical knife is a more utilitarian knife that is painted and general can take a beating. Made for prying, and in a pinch can be used to defend one self. Kind of like the batch knives I am making in the other thread.

A fighting knife is made for killing someone. It is not good for anything else. Like daggers and double edged clip point knives like the loveless johnson fighter design.

I currently do not have the equipment to make folding knives on a large scale so folding knives are out for the time being.

Size will be worked out later. I'm just trying to get a feel of what would be most popular.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
How about a picture of each
In a few months that will not be a problem. Just trying to get a feel of what everyone wants and then will build something accordingly.

From input from members I will make a model, and post pictures. That way anyone can actually come to my shop and hold it in their hands before they ever commit to anything. I imagine several prototypes will be built before a final design is finalized.

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
Missed the poll by that much LOL!

Blackhawk Tatang. I'm intrigued and came close to buying this knife several times but hesitated after a reviewer on Amazon said it was "double-edged" which I believe is illegal in Nevada. I'll just say that knife laws in this state are vague and totally suck a$$.

Had I arrived to this thread early I would've suggested "Barong" for a knife-style. Had it been a day that I couldn't help myself I would've tossed in "Kampilan" but that would've been so wrong.

Not sure what I'm looking for in my next knife purchase. Something affordable, holds a good edge, not "pretty" (I'm thinking Confederate Forge "ugly" which is really a compliment).

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
Forum Supporter
Missed the poll by that much LOL!

Blackhawk Tatang. I'm intrigued and came close to buying this knife several times but hesitated after a reviewer on Amazon said it was "double-edged" which I believe is illegal in Nevada. I'll just say that knife laws in this state are vague and totally suck a$$.

Just take the edge off the top with a file.

mbogo

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Just take the edge off the top with a file.

mbogo
Unfortunately once the manufacture has claimed it is double edged then it really doesn't matter if you dull it or not legally. Kind of like once a gun is registered as a machine gun and you make it a semi-auto then it's still always considered a machine gun.

Also since knives fall under the second amendment and it's a fundamental right I would love to see the law challenged or better yet work with someone to get the knife laws in Nevada changed to make daggers and double edge blades legal for carry.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Can you cite Nevada law on this? I've never heard this applied to knives before.

mbogo
I don't know if their is a Nevada law on it but their is plenty of case law in other states, and am going off that. If a manufacture say's it's double edged then that is what it is. It doesn't matter if you dull it. It was made with a double edge. That why many will grind it close enough you can sharpen it yourself. That way they are not manufacturing and selling daggers. I have to renew my CCW permit and when I am at the station I will ask someone what exactly are Nevada's knife laws so I can not only put them on my website but also here.

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
Forum Supporter
The folks at the renewal stations are not allowed (or qualified) to dispense legal advice or clarifications.

The Nevada laws on knives are here http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec350

Section 355 refers to switchblades.

The only restriction on "daggers" is that they may not be carried concealed; there are no prohibitions on manufacture, importation, sale, or possession.

Here is another link to a site that attempts to clarify the Nevada knife laws with case law citations: http://www.nvconcealedcarry.com/knives.html#.UuK747TgFhE

There is a reference to the Nevada Supreme Court interpreting "blade" as "that portion which is customarily sharpened from the tip of the knife to the tang, or the unsharpened extension of the blade which forms the hinge connecting the blade to the handle." (Bradvica v. State, 1988 ).

Carrying a dagger openly is legal,, in that it is not prohibited.
mbogo