• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Guzzler map from NDOW

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have one, waited about a year for the "new" one to come out as they said it would have gps coordinates for each guzzler. It does not have them but it is cool to know where the guzzlers are.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
It all depends how much use you get out of it. They aren't a "pick up and find" type of map.

You need to know a bit about how to read a map, plus guzzlers aren't exactly where they show them.

Heck you can make a career out of just finding all the guzzlers in the Kane Springs valley area.

I use the guzzler map with the NV map by benchmark and the NV gazzateer. Thats my tri-fecta -o-maps

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Sorry, question from the uninformed: A guzzler is a water trough in the BLM I assume?

2upFZ1

XDm for life!
Forum Supporter
I was wondering what a "guzzler" is also. At first I thought it was a map showing people where the full-size SUV's (gas guzzlers) are located.

Dave R

What?
Forum Supporter
I think its worth it. When I bought mine they gave me reference pages with GPS coordinates for each guzzler. Once I get to the coordinates I can usually spot the guzzler.

Guzzlers are a water storage tank partially buried, covered with a slanted corrugated roof. Rain water, snow and condensation travel from the roof into the tank. One end of the tank is accessible to wildlife. Bird guzzlers are fenced and big game ones are more open.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I think its worth it. When I bought mine they gave me reference pages with GPS coordinates for each guzzler. Once I get to the coordinates I can usually spot the guzzler.

Guzzlers are a water storage tank partially buried, covered with a slanted corrugated roof. Rain water, snow and condensation travel from the roof into the tank. One end of the tank is accessible to wildlife. Bird guzzlers are fenced and big game ones are more open.

Dave, they told me that they decided to not give out gps info when I picked up my map, can you share?

shotdown

F*** it,We'll do it live!
I work with GIS (mapping program), so I'm going to see if I have the shape files to create my own map. If I create one, I'll post a .PDF version here and I'll try to add coordinates if the data is available.

Dave R

What?
Forum Supporter
Forgive an old man's memory. I bought my book 11 years ago and the GPS sheets I remembered getting were one page of corrections for a dozen locations around Ely. The book itself has 8.5-11"x17" pages of guzzler locations in UTM coordinates. These are in alphabetical order first by the name of the 1:100,000 USGS topo they appear on and second by NDOW's name for them. There were 1428 guzzlers in Nevada when my book was printed. I'm playing with my scanner. I finally got it to scan 11"x17" so let me see what I can come up with.

Dave R

What?
Forum Supporter
If this upload works it will show you the index page for southern Nevada. Its just under the max file size. Later today I'll work on the UTM coordinate pages.

Dave R

What?
Forum Supporter
I talked to NDOW this morning. The GPS info for the guzzler map book is available for $10.00 and the book is $40.00. Proceeds from this and the $10.00 chukar stamp go to the maintenance of the guzzlers. The more I think about it the more I believe that if you're going to hunt in Nevada then you should support the wildlife conservation efforts. Those who are interested can get a copy and share it but I won't be posting it on the site.

http://ndow.org/wild/habitat/guzzler/index.shtm