Has the 40 S&W lost popularity?

Has anyone noticed the 40 S&W has lost its prominence and lost popularity? Seems th 9MM now with specialty ammo like Underwood is now back on top.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Given that they’re roughly equally ineffective there isn’t a compelling reason to take the extra size, weight, and cost of 40S&W over 9x19.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
It's about time. They had to keep it long enough to save face for picking it in the first place for the wrong reasons. Couldn't blame losing gunfight on tactics. Had to be the 9mm...

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I always keep reading the arguments about all auto handgun calibers are relatively equal in actual effectiveness.

I like .40 for completely personally biased reasons about enjoying a slightly larger diameter. Plus even cheap plinker bullets are flat nosed, which is nice if I want SHTF ammo for cheap. Also, in my SUB-2000, .40 carried a touch more power at distance than a 9mm.

I’d trade to 9mm if .40 died but I’d prefer to keepy .40’s.

Although the question is asked about the popularity of the caliber, there are many other factors that are considered in choosing/arriving at a conclusion as to what caliber one would choose. The .45 cal. reputation is unquestionably high on any list due to lethality of the caliber and firearm it replaced. Its longevity has made it a highly rated caliber/firearm (.45 1911). Because of the heavy weight of a 1911 to many people, alternate calibers and firearms have been good choices for those who can't handle a .45 cal. 1911. (In my case, as I got older and wanted to choose a .45, I found it was too heavy and unwieldy for me any longer. Problem was resolved with a purchase of a lighter/narrower, shorter profile Ruger KP345PR). Many people had already picked out the lighter, larger capacity 9 mm's. The High Power being a case in point as it was used by both sides in WWII. Then there are those who think that neither the .45's or nines out there fit the bill for those who were looking for a niche somewhere in between. The .40 fit that bill for LEO's and HD. Due to advanced technology regarding cartridges and the firearms that shoot them, the popularity of any particular caliber and style of firearms surges and wanes. Of course a Classic 1911 will always be popular, but since the advent of plastic pistols, the "newest" thing is what always seems popular. If one can afford a variety of firearms in different calibers and the ammo, go for it. My experience with the .40 relates to the ammo/firearm shortage of early 2013. At several of my LGS', every firearm and the corresponding ammo that went with them were sold out. In good times, everyone always talks about the 9mm's popularity and that there would be sufficient ammo when times were hard, but all the nines and ammo were gone off the shelves.. The last were .40 handguns and ammo on the shelves. I resolved at that time to get a .40. It eventually turner out to be a H&K P30L in .40 cal. Along with my BHP, it has the best feeling grip (for me) that I have ever held in a firearm. I don't think the ".40" will ever become obsolete, even as the 10mm gains popularity. GOOD SHOOTING TO ALL!

Last edited:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Although the question is asked about the popularity of the caliber, there are many other factors that are considered in choosing/arriving at a conclusion as to what caliber one would choose. The .45 cal. reputation is unquestionably high on any list due to lethality of the caliber and firearm it replaced. Its longevity has made it a highly rated caliber/firearm (.45 1911). Because of the heavy weight of a 1911 to many people, alternate calibers and firearms have been good choices for those who can't handle a .45 cal. 1911. (In my case, as I got older and wanted to choose a .45, I found it was too heavy and unwieldy for me any longer. Problem was resolved with a purchase of a lighter/narrower, shorter profile Ruger KP345PR). Many people had already picked out the lighter, larger capacity 9 mm's. The High Power being a case in point as it was used by both sides in WWII. Then there are those who think that neither the .45's or nines out there fit the bill for those who were looking for a niche somewhere in between. The .40 fit that bill for LEO's and HD. Due to advanced technology regarding cartridges and the firearms that shoot them, the popularity of any particular caliber and style of firearms surges and wanes. Of course a Classic 1911 will always be popular, but since the advent of plastic pistols, the "newest" thing is what always seems popular. If one can afford a variety of firearms in different calibers and the ammo, go for it. My experience with the .40 relates to the ammo/firearm shortage of early 2013. At several of my LGS', every firearm and the corresponding ammo that went with them were sold out. In good times, everyone always talks about the 9mm's popularity and there would be sufficient ammo when times were hard, but all the nines and ammo were gone off the shelfs. The last on the were .40 handguns and ammo on the shelves. I resolved at that time to get a .40. It eventually in my acquiring an H&K P30L in .40 cal. Along with my BHP, it has the best feeling grip (for me) that I have ever held in a firearm. I don't think the ".40" will ever become obsolete, even as the 10mm gains popularity. GOOD SHOOTING TO ALL!
Probably not obsolete. Even the .41 Magnum came back from the edge of extinction.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
What?!?! You mean the round that "gives you the knockdown power of .45 with the capacity of 9mm" is going out of style? Why can't hipsters do the same?

As far as losing popularity I'll say what many others say: if you like fo'tay caliber and shoot it well then keep on shooting it.

Then again I too have noticed less .40 firearms when perusing firearms on display.

It is a great time to be buying LEO trade-in .40s.

I've bought a half dozen this year alone. G22s, G23s, M&P40s, Sig 229s....all at bargain-bin prices.

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
I think the real question is whether ammo manufacturers will decrease production of the .40, causing the cost of .40 ammo will go up and availability drop, now that LE is moving away from it.

When price and availability is similar to 9mm ammo, it's a reasonable alternative. If price and availability become more like 10mm, I don't think that people will find the .40 very attractive.

Last edited:
What?!?! You mean the round that "gives you the knockdown power of .45 with the capacity of 9mm" is going out of style? Why can't hipsters do the same?

As far as losing popularity I'll say what many others say: if you like fo'tay caliber and shoot it well then keep on shooting it.

Then again I too have noticed less .40 firearms when perusing firearms on display.
apparently, some stores are not ace[ting 40's for trade in?

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
When price and availability is similar to 9mm ammo, it's a reasonable alternative. If price and availability become more like 10mm, I don't think that people will find the .40 very attractive.
Yep. I’m a .40 fanboy and even I can concede this.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
I've got a couple of .40s, and like them both, my .40 Glock (23) is one of my favorites. I reload for 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP among others, the cost differences are not much between them all. That said, I shoot 9MM the least, and am about 50/50 between .40 and .45. Put me in the column of likeing the .40!

I've got a couple of .40s, and like them both, my .40 Glock (23) is one of my favorites. I reload for 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP among others, the cost differences are not much between them all. That said, I shoot 9MM the least, and am about 50/50 between .40 and .45. Put me in the column of likeing the .40!
I am not putting down the 40. I just noticed (my opinion) the 40 seems to be losing popularity and I;m wondering if anyone else agrees.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Well you see the commercials "men today have less testosterone than his father who has less than his father..." Pretty soon .45 and .40 will be completely replaced with 9mm and .380, then replaced with .32 and .25...

:ROFLMAO:

But yeah