• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Hearing protection recommendations

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Over the years, I’ve tried lots of different hearing protection. I have yet to find my ideal.

I like muffs, but hate using them when shooting rifles or shotguns because I clank them against the stock when I’m trying to aim (or point). It distracts me when it happens and I don’t want to keep hitting or rubbing them against my stock. But if I’m only shooting pistols, I use a set of earmuffs. The only minor annoyance is interaction between them and my shooting glasses, but I can deal with that.

An in-ear option seems to be the way to go. I’ve tried foam inserts, flanges, gel-like headbands, moldable inserts, electronic ones with different seals, and have yet to find an option I love. I will think that they give me a good seal and comfort for a while, but after an hour or two, I want to yank them out of my ears and throw them.

What is the most comfortable hearing protection you have used? While I think $1,000+ custom fitted inserts are a bit much, I’m getting desperate. I’d hate to buy those, only to find out I don’t like them, either.

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I have not tried those, but I will. I see they have a shooting version, as well that have a noise reduction rating.

I should have added that they don’t need to be electronic—but they can be.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Shotgun, like trap/skeet, I use in ear foam plugs. They seem to work well. Just make sure you get a good seal.

Rifle/pistol, sometimes I use the noise filtering headphones. But I’ll mostly double bag those with foam underneath. Extra cant hurt!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I shoot professionally, and in amateur matches at every level with every firearm type. I only shoot on average 4 times a week.

I HAVE expensive Peltor amplifying muffs.

96% of the time, I just wear disposable foam plugs. When inserted properly, they are the best noise reduction you can get. Adding muffs on top (amplifying to bring conversation through your foamies if you need it) is just gravy if they won't be in the way. I wear them in the winter, but mostly just to keep the wind off my ears.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
FYI, I saw some noise cancelling ear muffs on the amazon Black Friday ad. Check blackfriday.com and look for the amazon ad. It’s cheap. Maybe under $10 iirc.

I have not tried those, but I will. I see they have a shooting version, as well that have a noise reduction rating.

I should have added that they don’t need to be electronic—but they can be.

repoman

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
To your question what is most comfortable, for me, the green Howard Leight Max Light low pressure foam plugs. I can wear those continuously for 12 hours no problem (and have). 30 NRR. I'm pretty anal about hearing protection though, so If I'm shooting rifle or shotgun I go with molded silicon plugs that offer higher reduction, but I tolerate things in my ears pretty well. At shooting matches, it is convenient have to have amplified muffs so you can talk to folks and hear what is going on but like you, I find them more annoying and uncomforable to wear vs in ear options.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
96% of the time, I just wear disposable foam plugs. When inserted properly, they are the best noise reduction you can get. Adding muffs on top (amplifying to bring conversation through your foamies if you need it) is just gravy if they won't be in the way. I wear them in the winter, but mostly just to keep the wind off my ears.
This has been my experience as well. I'm retired from working in a noisy environment, and wore foam ear plugs for 8 or more hours a day for 40 years or so. You get used to it....

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I use the cheap foam ones that Wal-Mart sells for Sporting Clays shooting with my shotgun, by far the most comfortable.

For most other non-shotgun outdoor shooting I use electronic ear muff type. So I can talk with whomever I'm shooting with.

For any indoor shooting I use both. Also for anything bigger than a .308 outdoors