• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help, help, calling all builders.. Bolt action build

545x39

Ok dont know how to ask this question. But here it goes. I've got this stock, and wanted to build of it. A 22mag or 22lr, if not that size, a 6.5 grendel or 7mm. Problem is I know nothing about this stock and buying what kind or type of internals. what action can I buy. Long or short or what caliber can fit snug in this? Is there a online store that I can buy a drop in for this.. thanks 20210110_181706.jpg 20210110_175447.jpg 20210110_175110.jpg 20210110_175103.jpg 20210110_175048.jpg 20210110_175800.jpg 20210110_181706.jpg

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
You'll need to know what action was in it, or what it was designed for. It must be a very good fit, especially where the recoil lugs mate to the stock. Hopefully someone might just get lucky and recognize the inletting. The long relief on the right side under the bolt area is a good identifying feature; I'll bet someone here can ID it from that.

I would suggest changing the thread title to: "Help me ID a bolt action rifle stock"

One thing I'm sure of is that it's a centerfire, not a rimfire stock, so you're not gonna put a 22 in it.

Knowing the length of the floorplate cutout on the bottom of the stock will help ID the action length.

Sometimes there are identifying numbers or something inside the inletting area or under the recoil pad. If you remove the recoil pad, use the proper screwdrivers and techniques so you don't screw it up.

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
id be willing to bet thats a remington stock...i dont knoiw whats in veags but you could probably take it by a gun smith and have him look at it and see if a remington action fits.

545x39

You'll need to know what action was in it, or what it was designed for. It must be a very good fit, especially where the recoil lugs mate to the stock. Hopefully someone might just get lucky and recognize the inletting. The long relief on the right side under the bolt area is a good identifying feature; I'll bet someone here can ID it from that.

I would suggest changing the thread title to: "Help me ID a bolt action rifle stock"

One thing I'm sure of is that it's a centerfire, not a rimfire stock, so you're not gonna put a 22 in it.

Knowing the length of the floorplate cutout on the bottom of the stock will help ID the action length.

Sometimes there are identifying numbers or something inside the inletting area or under the recoil pad. If you remove the recoil pad, use the proper screwdrivers and techniques so you don't screw it up.
Never knew what was in it.. freind gave it to me, it came from his freind that passed. It's in millometers, not centometers..

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
pretty sure thats a long action 700 stock....heres some dimensions for different types of actions https://www.gunpartscorp.com/blog/short-action-vs-long-action

measure from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole short action will be 6.5" long action will be 7.35".

also just curios why you want to build on that stock when there are so many other choices these days from inexpensive all the way to a house payment expensive that are drop in stocks....that stock looks to me like its going to need some work to make it a repeatably accurate rifle.

545x39

pretty sure thats a long action 700 stock....heres some dimensions for different types of actions https://www.gunpartscorp.com/blog/short-action-vs-long-action

measure from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole short action will be 6.5" long action will be 7.35".

also just curios why you want to build on that stock when there are so many other choices these days from inexpensive all the way to a house payment expensive that are drop in stocks....that stock looks to me like its going to need some work to make it a repeatably accurate rifle.
Oh I never thought of it like that, inexpensive and expensive is still over free. But if i cant use it then maybe I'll go that way. But he is a fighter and i would want him to go down fighting and not just give up or else his days of being cut down from the red oak tree was useless.. vikings.. lol

That doesn’t look like a Remington inlet more like a Mauser or Winchester. You are better basing your build on an action and build around that, not around the stock. Caliber is going to be based on the action not the stock. .22 Mag to 7mm large variation there, Big difference between rimfire and center fire stocks and actions.