Holster Advice/Recommendations Please: Sig Sauer P229 Legion

Bonez

Las Vegas - Centennial Hills
***Warning: long post ahead!!*** I was torn about whether to put this in the Sig thread or the Accessories & Gear, I figured this is more fitting so here we go.

Yesterday I came across a deal I couldn't pass up for a new Sig Sauer P229 Legion in the .40 flavor and I am trying to figure out how to best carry it comfortably without damaging the finish with excessive holster wear (I know some will be inevitable). When I tucked it inside my belted jeans just to get an idea of how it would feel to CC I found that with my style of dress its too tall to conceal without printing so it looks like open carry OWB is the way to go for me on this one.
I have zero experience with OWB holsters and I am hoping to glean from the collective knowledge of more experienced OWB holster wearers on NVS so I don't waste $$$ on something that sounds better than it actually is.

I want a brown leather holster with a thumb break just for an added measure of retention. I really like the idea of being able to easily remove the holster without removing my belt (like Timothy Olyphant in Justified) and think it would easier to shift it around, etc, so a paddle holster really appealed to me but some of the reviews make the paddle holster sound like they aren't all they are cracked up to be.
I saw the snap on belt loop options too and that looks like an decent idea, but after looking across the web for a few hours it's getting overwhelming to figure out what direction is the way to go since neither of the aforementioned are as common as the belt threaded type.. and I am even starting to question my preference for a holster that doesn't require removal / threading of the belt.

Long story short; I would REALLY appreciate your recommendations for OWB style (paddle, snap, threaded) and/or manufacturer/model.

Last edited:

Bonez

Last edited:

Ramone

Obsessed Member
The Galco Fletch has a retention strap/thumb break. It is leather and something of a classic from the '80s but still in production. I use one for a J-Frame. If you want something leather but with no retention strap, there is Kramer Leather. The model is the Belt Scabbard. But it will be stiff horse hide and need time to break in.

Another good leather holster maker is Simply Rugged. The Sourdough Pancake holster can be ordered with or without the retention strap. All these holsters are OWB with belt loops. You mention the paddle option. Galco makes them that way. You would have to inquire with Kramer and Simply Rugged to see what their current options are for a custom order.

Comp-Tac makes the International, with or without retention strap, with the paddle as an option. But it is Kydex. I use this type as a range holster. It comes with the hardware to make it a paddle. It prints a lot and would be better used under a winter jacket.

Last edited:

Bonez

Hmm, I was hoping for some more responses from folks that have carried OWB with full leather holsters; perhaps this is more uncommon than I thought.

Does anyone have any recommendations for local (LV) leather craftsmen for holsters, pouches, etc?

Ramone

Obsessed Member
You will find that OWB carry and leather holsters are not fashionable now. Nonetheless, they remain a viable option despite the trend for a kydex AIWB holster. Many professionals who carry a pistol for a living use the OWB leather holster at the 3 or 4 o'clock position (for right-handed users). You may want to see if there are any law enforcement suppliers in your area who sell these models. I have had to order mine online, although there is one reliable place in Reno that sells them. I recommend the belt slots instead of the paddle, unless you have a specific need for the paddle option. This need would include having to remove the holster and pistol from your belt to enter a restricted area frequently, and you want to keep the trigger covered in the holster. Here the paddle option is useful.

Bonez

You will find that OWB carry and leather holsters are not fashionable now. Nonetheless, they remain a viable option despite the trend for a kydex AIWB holster. Many professionals who carry a pistol for a living use the OWB leather holster at the 3 or 4 o'clock position (for right-handed users). You may want to see if there are any law enforcement suppliers in your area who sell these models. I have had to order mine online, although there is one reliable place in Reno that sells them. I recommend the belt slots instead of the paddle, unless you have a specific need for the paddle option. This need would include having to remove the holster and pistol from your belt to enter a restricted area frequently, and you want to keep the trigger covered in the holster. Here the paddle option is useful.
I appreciate the insight and recommendations; I know leather will eventually wear the finish as well, but it seems to me that kydex will wear more aggressively, am I on the right train of thought here? Where did you order yours online? The belt slots seem to be more popular in online options but I am not sure why.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
My preferred and most often used method of carry is open in an OWB. While my primary one is a Kydex holster, I've got some nice leather ones as well. Don't sell the paddle short. Some of my other holsters are OWB with a paddle clip. They are very comfortable and while it's not exactly fast, they are removeable without taking off your belt. They have a very good clip sprung under the belt so that the holster will never draw with the gun on accident.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
... I know leather will eventually wear the finish as well, but it seems to me that kydex will wear more aggressively, am I on the right train of thought here? ....
Depends. I find leather to wear more OVERALL, but Kydex to wear more aggressively at the few points of contact, being stiffer. What you really need to just embrace is that holster wear is CHARACTER on your carry piece. If you are going to carry a good pistol, you need to get the entire "resale value" mindset far away and learn to memorialize every scratch and wear spot. I carry a $1600 Kimber. It was tough to do, but worth it.

Bonez

My preferred and most often used method of carry is open in an OWB. While my primary one is a Kydex holster, I've got some nice leather ones as well. Don't sell the paddle short. Some of my other holsters are OWB with a paddle clip. They are very comfortable and while it's not exactly fast, they are removeable without taking off your belt. They have a very good clip sprung under the belt so that the holster will never draw with the gun on accident.
I was really hoping you would respond! What paddle clip holster(s) do you like? Paddle clip is my first choice for convenience but haven't found one that gets good reviews that will fit the P229

Depends. I find leather to wear more OVERALL, but Kydex to wear more aggressively at the few points of contact, being stiffer. What you really need to just embrace is that holster wear is CHARACTER on your carry piece. If you are going to carry a good pistol, you need to get the entire "resale value" mindset far away and learn to memorialize every scratch and wear spot. I carry a $1600 Kimber. It was tough to do, but worth it.
I appreciate the candid and detailed advice it is exactly what I was looking for - I wasn't really sure about the wear differences. I don't plan on ever letting this one go, but at the same time I want to avoid unnecessary wear.