Home warranty company?

Jethro

Forum Supporter
I know we discussed this here about 5 or so years ago, but experiences and reputations change. Can anyone recommend a reputable home warranty company or advise on who to avoid? I'd really like to hear your experiences both good and bad.

thunderkiss

BOOT STOMPIN PREDATORS
I was with HSA for a bit but found out that they have a sister company AHS (American Home Shield) that has a better program and is about half the price. So far so good

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
I sold our house in Wisconsin to a friend and did not want something to go haywire on him during the first year, so I bought a home warranty policy for him from Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA). It was $475 for a year that covered all major appliances, HVAC, plumbing, etc. with minimal deductibles. I think after deductible it covers 90% of cost or something like that.

Bottom line is that I talked to him on Monday and the furnace went out on him last month. HWA paid up with no squawking or delays.

I'm not sure if they do business in NV, but I'm sure employing a little Googlefu will provide answers.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
We have used AHS and have had good dealings. Pay the service call deductible and everything else is covered. Only draw back is the service provider may take a few days to get to you. Not sure if it would be better if you were able to search around for a service provider since you must use their people.

Have had fridge repaired, oven repaired, and AC unit repaired over the last 5-6 years with no fight.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
The providers furnished for swimming pools will over-see the degradation of the equipment, typically.
Used stuff, patched together and no-name equipment..A proper repair is the exception. Always call a decent pool guy and ask them if the provider is full-o-poo. AHS is one of the better..

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Have had Old Republic Home Warranty on this house for 13 years, $475 a year. So far they have replaced all 3 HVAC units, all 3 water heaters, a dishwasher, oven control board, 2 garage door openers and the alarm system mother board, no hassles at all. I figure the policy has cost me $6175 for the 13 years, and the repairs would have cost me close to $30k. The HVAC units were about $8k each, the 3 Bradford White water heaters were $1,200 each, dishwasher was $1,200 also.

icode

Obsessed Member
I used First American Home Buyers Protection for years. They kept raising their rates, raising their service call fees and reducing what they would cover. They would NEVER replace anything, many of the techs that came out warned me that FAHBP didn't replace things. Terrible, I finally got wise and cancelled.

Cujo

FFI CCI
Forum Supporter
I used First American Home Buyers Protection for years. They kept raising their rates, raising their service call fees and reducing what they would cover. They would NEVER replace anything, many of the techs that came out warned me that FAHBP didn't replace things. Terrible, I finally got wise and cancelled.
I’m with you on this. I was without heat for a month last year. They called three contractors to try to fix it. Think lowest bidder here. They were clueless. Finally, on the fourth, the guy was able to find the problem. He could have had it fixed that day but the home warranty company wanted to procure the part through their sources. I had to wait another week.

Also have had one plumbing issue that has never been rectified after 3 visits. The plumber can not diagnose the problem and does nothing and just BS’s for the time he is there. Boom, get the bill for the service call in the mail. When this is up, I’m definitely going with another company.

Well I had the AHS for 5 years an they sent out the bottom of the barrel tradesmen if u want to call them that I would look them up on yelp or google an they would have 1000 1 star ratings out of a 1000 review an they would break the new part not on purpose but becuse they were no good at what they do.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
First american is terrible.

They send l&s (i believe) for everything.

So my ac was dripping down the secondary line in the garage aka there was an issue. After 3 visits, when i got back into town i went up there myself.. The pan underneath had a bolt that fell out so it was unlevel.. Not a huge deal.. Except the guys couldnt figure it out so they cut the pipe going to the secondary line and screwed the pan about an inch higher than it was to ensure all the condensation drained down the primary..

Amateur hour. They literally could have mounted it with a bigger metal screw or just replaced the pan which is a 20 minute job including 10 minutes of bringing my a$$ into the attic.

Needless to say.. Never called them for anything and repaired the pipe they cut which im pretty sure was some sort of code violation. In addition, the guys they sent.. Same 2 every time.. Yeah wouldn't let them see what i had in my garage.

Jethro

Forum Supporter
Have had Old Republic Home Warranty on this house for 13 years, $475 a year. So far they have replaced all 3 HVAC units, all 3 water heaters, a dishwasher, oven control board, 2 garage door openers and the alarm system mother board, no hassles at all. I figure the policy has cost me $6175 for the 13 years, and the repairs would have cost me close to $30k. The HVAC units were about $8k each, the 3 Bradford White water heaters were $1,200 each, dishwasher was $1,200 also.
Hi Steve, Just an FYI, I just tried to order an Old Republic plan but was advised that they no longer contract with existing homeowners, only current buyers/sellers and those with grandfathered plans. Seems like an odd business model but whatever. Glad it's worked out for you. I'll keep researching.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Sounds like Old Republic has returned to their former business model. When we bought our first home in 74, you could only get their plan on a newly purchased home, it was good for one year, and you could renew it only once for a second year. The real estate agents then often payed for that first year as a thank you for your business ( and their commission!). When we bought our current home 13 years ago, our agent did just that, and as before with all our other homes, we renewed it for the second year.
I was surprised when about 2 months before the end of that second year, they sent a renewal notice. I called and was told that there was no longer any limit to how many times you could renew the plan, and that they now offered it to folks who had owned their homes for many years. I mentioned this to my family, and most of them signed up, as have a number of friends I have told about ORH over the 13 years I have had the current plan.

Sorry to have steered you all wrong, wonder what made them change?