• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Hornady Frontier: Hot loads = weapon failure

requiem

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Staff member
Administrator
We had a bunch of guys in town for my friends bachelor party. they were from an unnamed communist oblast in the NE. that being said we took em to the range.
They purchased some 62 and 68 gr. hornady "frontier" 5.56. It looked promising.

My trusty steed is a home rolled object of pure sex appeal. I won't run through the specs, but it's been beaten like a red headed step child and probably cleaned twice in the past 2 years and seven thousand or so rounds. I've never ever ever had an issue with this rifle and the multitude of ammo variations including hand loads running through it. My friend has a spike tactical that we made some mods to. Runs like a top. This all changed.

Within 5 rounds of the aforementioned ammo, my rifle seized up. I removed a blown primer that got lodges in the chamber and kept the bolt from locking all the way....2 more shots. Now the rifle was totally locked up. Long story short, I had another blown primer and within 5 seconds of this my friends rifle had the same, expect his send the primers back into the trigger assembly which really messed up his rifle.

n00bs were shooting the rifles when this happened so we were rightfully concerned.

both were field stripped and cleaned which cost us a good 1/2 hour. Luckily i brought extra and they guys were able to shoot more.

We're working with the range to get this issue squared away. they pulled the rest of the ammo from the shelf as a precaution.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Was gonna pick up some of the 62 grain rounds since i load those for plinking and 77+ for other purposes.

By any chance were any measurements of the brass taken on the rounds that were pulled off the shelves? Maybe its a headspace issue. Or maybe this is the norinco of 2018

requiem

Staff member
Administrator
no measurements. blown primers are enough for me never to touch them again. I didn't see any over crimping at all, either.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a decent way to keep the 'Commies' from focusing on us conservatives.

"Don't worry, folks. Their guns jam at every opportunity! No threat."

Keep up the good work. You're almost fully assimilated into the Austin mentality. :D

-

BTW, the new 'smilie' selection sucks!

requiem

Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like a decent way to keep the 'Commies' from focusing on us conservatives.

"Don't worry, folks. Their guns jam at every opportunity! No threat."

Keep up the good work. You're almost fully assimilated into the Austin mentality. :D

-

BTW, the new 'smilie' selection sucks!
you guys seriously suck at geography.