How To Become a HAM Radio Operator

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
See ya Saturday, by then your appetite should have returned, usually takes most folks only 1-2 days to get over meeting ol Tophog!
I sure am glad that I was not taking a sip of hot coffee when I read that!

BTW, this is a nice RV park, but the wireless internet here is so slow that I am not using it. I am using my own portable V W/L hotspot that is at least ten times faster.

-Don- Pahrump, NV

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Scary feller, ain’t he? And slightly odd....
Odd is fine. I am a bit odd myself. And a whole lot queer too!

"The only normal people are those we don't know very well."

But all Harley riders are scary!

But scary I can defend against. I just ride this behind those scary Harley riders:

-Don- Pahrump. NV

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Don, either the Nevada Treasures RV park at the north end of town at 301 Leslie, or Winery Ridge RV resort at 3800 Winery Road, at the south end of town, are much nicer facilities than that one on Linda.

But the one on Linda is close to our hospital if you need Doctorin'!
Yeah, I just took a ride there to take a look at it. A dump compared to this place, like you say. Also was packed. Might not have even been a slot left. But the hospital looked like it was fairly new, at least from the distance I was at.

-Don- Pahrump, NV

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
The regular hospital opened a few years ago. Tho other one north of it is the VA hospital. Opened this year.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The regular hospital opened a few years ago. Tho other one north of it is the VA hospital. Opened this year.
Okay, see you guys at 2100 hrs GMT (1300 hrs local) tomorrow at the Nugget's Golden Harvest Cafe.

I will park my orange & black E-bike near the Burger King side of the Nugget.

73, -Don- AA6GA, Pahrump, NV

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Don, the most active repeater here in town is 145.620 (-) PL 100, referred to as the "Johnnie" repeater.

Next would be the" West site" repeater at 145.130 (-) PL 100.

Regards and 73's

Steve KE 7KHE
okay, I have my Yaesu FT-60 set to receive 145.620, tx on 145.020. PL of 100 Hz and I am not getting any repeaters. What could I be doing wrong?

Or could I be out of range here?

73, -Don- AA6GA

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
okay, I have my Yaesu FT-60 set to receive 145.620, tx on 145.020. PL of 100 Hz and I am not getting any repeaters. What could I be doing wrong?

Or could I be out of range here?

73, -Don- AA6GA
You've got it set up right.

-

When I tried a while back with my HT I couldn't hit it either.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Don, tried to call your cell phone just now, went to voice mail.

On the screen of your FT60 if it is set up correctly, you should see the output frequency of the repeater (145.620 in this case) , and a minus sign (-) to indicate a down shift to the repeaters input frequency, and you should also see a capital "T", to indicated that the FT60 has been told to transmit the PL tone of 100 Hz that you set it to.

If it wasn't told to transmit it, you won't open up the repeater, that capital "T" has to be showing on the screen to indicate that the CTCSS tone is to be transmitted.

Any you are well within range of the Johnny repeater, it covers this entire valley, all the way up to the top of the pass between here and Vegas on the south end of the valley, and all the way to the southern edge of Beatty on the north end, and west to Amargosa Valley.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Don, tried to call your cell phone just now, went to voice mail.

On the screen of your FT60 if it is set up correctly, you should see the output frequency of the repeater (145.620 in this case) , and a minus sign (-) to indicate a down shift to the repeaters input frequency, and you should also see a capital "T", to indicated that the FT60 has been told to transmit the PL tone of 100 Hz that you set it to.

If it wasn't told to transmit it, you won't open up the repeater, that capital "T" has to be showing on the screen to indicate that the CTCSS tone is to be transmitted.

Any you are well within range of the Johnny repeater, it covers this entire valley, all the way up to the top of the pass between here and Vegas on the south end of the valley, and all the way to the southern edge of Beatty on the north end, and west to Amargosa Valley.
He's not online now.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Hmm, seeing / meeting you must have scared him off!

Just think how traumatized he will be when he meets the rest of we Pahrumpoids and Pahrumpalopes!

Probably end up catatonic..........

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I suppose I could drive up there and try to find him in the dark, it's only a mile from my house, but no idea what space he is in, and if he's like the rest of us, strange people coming to his door on a dark night are likely to get shot!

Nope, Tophog put him into that catatonic state, he should be the one to bring him out of it!

And besides, Top needs practice (TRUST ME, he NEEDS THE PRACTICE!):rolleyes5::eek6: at programming radios! :yahoo:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Dark night, use white smoke!
Bright day, use black smoke!
Rainy day, use Gor-Tex smoke!

Did you learn nothing in the ancient times we lived in?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Between you and me, I’m surprised he figured out how to turn the damn thing on!
Not 100% sure, but I think it was already on when he bought it, and he's just never turned it off!
Keeps it plugged in all the time so the battery never runs down............