• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to get your 03 FFL (C&R) Curios & Relics License from the ATF

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Founding Member
Forum Supporter
So I sent in my C&R to Brownells on Friday. Logged into my account today and VOILA all of a sudden I have cheaper prices than I used to pay.

Example- I buy the Brownell's O-ring kit for my wife's semi-crappy Charles Daly 20 guage semi. I have always paid 12.99. Now they are $10.00.

Example- I buy CLP in the cans (I know) usually pay 12.99 at gun shows and stores, normally 10.99 at Brownells, 9.05 my price now.

Why would you not do this?

The 1911 mags I bought on Brownells were $7 off with the FFL :thumbsup:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Make copies BEFORE you sign it!

Always keep the original unsigned and in the safe.

Make a copy and sign the copy as needed.

JeffnReno

I had already read this advise in these posts but I appreciate it and am following the recommendation of those of you here that have been doing this for awhile.:thumbsup:

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
It came today. Now I can start real savings and collecting.:coolgleamA:
Well I decided to wait til their "designated processing time was up" according to the person I spoke to on the phone they said it could take up to 60-90 days but I was hopeful for far less....been 91 days (April 18th to July 19th) and no license....guess I will be calling tomorrow. I really don't understand the vast differences in time.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
So wait... This lets you skip the brady check whenever you buy a firearm? Or just certain firearms. Like as in if I went into a FFL and showed them my 03 FFL they wouldn't have to background check me?

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Certain firearms. Like if you go to Aimsurplus they have a C&R section...there is a whole list of C&R eligible firearms on the ATF site. They can be shipped to wherever the C&R license has the address so it can be a residence. No background checks and just pay shipping generally. Also can get a discount on some items through Midway/Brownells/etc.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Certain firearms. Like if you go to Aimsurplus they have a C&R section...there is a whole list of C&R eligible firearms on the ATF site. They can be shipped to wherever the C&R license has the address so it can be a residence. No background checks and just pay shipping generally. Also can get a discount on some items through Midway/Brownells/etc.
Well right, I get that, I'm not talking about shipping, or anything like that. I'm talking about walking into a gun store, and paying for a rifle. Let's say a Remington 700sps just as an example. They would normally have to run the brady check on you to make sure you're legal, and everything but if you have a FFL why would they have to run a background check on any gun that you could otherwise legally buy?
(I'm assuming "because the FFL doesn't cover that" is the answer.)

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
If you are concerned about that background checks, get a CCW? With a new CCW you don't have to worry about those anymore. As for FFL transfers, one can transfer the rifle to another if they were to purchase it and it goes into their book. The C&R is not really for modern firearms and this thread doesn't really discuss the other FFL licenses. The ATF site has all the run down on the different types.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
If you are concerned about that background checks, get a CCW? With a new CCW you don't have to worry about those anymore. As for FFL transfers, one can transfer the rifle to another if they were to purchase it and it goes into their book. The C&R is not really for modern firearms and this thread doesn't really discuss the other FFL licenses. The ATF site has all the run down on the different types.
Okay, thank you. I was really just curious. I'm not really worried about the background check, I always pass without a problem so far. I just hate paying $25/pop for the friggen thing.
I'll look into getting a CCW since I should be getting a pistol soon anyways. Even though it's just an old .22 revolver it can't hurt to have more certification.

JeffnReno

Okay, thank you. I was really just curious. I'm not really worried about the background check, I always pass without a problem so far. I just hate paying $25/pop for the friggen thing.
I'll look into getting a CCW since I should be getting a pistol soon anyways. Even though it's just an old .22 revolver it can't hurt to have more certification.
Saving that $25 a pop was one of my deciding factors in getting my ccw. But this thread opened my eyes up to the world of acquiring historical firearms for my own personal enjoyment and saving even more money in the process. I like the concept of not having to pay a transfer fee or even a background check over and over each time I find a gun I want.

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Well the ATF fails....payment went through April 18th and the license was pending April 23rd...now no one knows why my license was delayed and I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone else.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
My payment went through weeks before I received my license.

I guess they want payment to clear before doing the paperwork.

It could be worse, it takes many more months, NEEDLESSLY, to register NFA items.

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Yeah I get that for the NFA items but that is for different reasons. FFL's they seem to crank out pretty quickly in relation to NFA items.

JeffnReno

Well the ATF fails....payment went through April 18th and the license was pending April 23rd...now no one knows why my license was delayed and I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone else.
My payment was posted 6/15 and I got the license on 7/19. There must be a mailing problem. It did come in a plain white medium size envelope and I almost tossed it out with the junk mail since it wasn't clearly marked and seemed pretty unimportant. Really sorry to hear you are having this problem. Hope it gets resolved soon.

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Did you get the other packet yet?

My payment was posted 6/15 and I got the license on 7/19. There must be a mailing problem. It did come in a plain white medium size envelope and I almost tossed it out with the junk mail since it wasn't clearly marked and seemed pretty unimportant. Really sorry to hear you are having this problem. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Jeff,

My timing much like yours but never received the info packet, did you?

JeffnReno

I have not got my packet of materials yet and it may be explained in there but, I've read if a gun is over 50 years old it doesn't have to be listed on the ATF C&R list to qualify as a C&R purchase. Can anyone explain this in more detail because it is confusing? If I find a Colt 1911 that is over 50 years old, can I buy it as a C&R purchase?

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Not yet but already ordered 3 guns (using new C&R license) and a log book while waiting.
Got my logbook, just wanted to pick out that perfect (and perfectly cheap) first gun. Would you mind updating when/if you recieve the packet and I will do the same?

Thanks
Chad