• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to get your 03 FFL (C&R) Curios & Relics License from the ATF

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I have not got my packet of materials yet and it may be explained in there but, I've read if a gun is over 50 years old it doesn't have to be listed on the ATF C&R list to qualify as a C&R purchase. Can anyone explain this in more detail because it is confusing? If I find a Colt 1911 that is over 50 years old, can I buy it as a C&R purchase?
Yes, once you can document the serial number puts it at 50 years old, it is automatic.

It's an arbitrary number designed to keep us collectors from becoming dealers without the other license. It mostly just prevents us from conveniently collecting more modern stuff.

JeffnReno

Yes, once you can document the serial number puts it at 50 years old, it is automatic.

It's an arbitrary number designed to keep us collectors from becoming dealers without the other license. It mostly just prevents us from conveniently collecting more modern stuff.
So if a firearm is not listed, I would need to verify by serial number that it is 50 years old or older then I would be ok? How can I find out the age by serial number on specific guns? Thanks for the help in understanding this issue as I get started on my collection. When I go to shows or just see older guns people have for sale, it makes me wonder about the C&R issue. Even online auctions that have guns that may be old enough but I would have to know first.

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
What about big5

Does anyone have any experience with some of the older stuff big 5 has? Do they honor our c&r or do they run you thru the whole process?

shim1313

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with some of the older stuff big 5 has? Do they honor our c&r or do they run you thru the whole process?
I have used my C&R there before. No back ground check, BUT they have to call the ATF to make sure your license is valid. Make sure you go in before 4PM eastern time because ATF is in Atlanta.

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Got my packet yesterday, 7/23/12.
Jeff, thanks for heads up just got mine in yesterday's mail.

Don't want to beat a dead horse to everyone, but I have been ordering some parts, and the savings are tremendous.

So far registered with:
Midway
Brownell
Numrich

Waiting to hear back from quite a few others.

JeffnReno

Jeff, thanks for heads up just got mine in yesterday's mail.

Don't want to beat a dead horse to everyone, but I have been ordering some parts, and the savings are tremendous.

So far registered with:
Midway
Brownell
Numrich

Waiting to hear back from quite a few others.
My first C&R purchases came in the mail also (CZ82 & TT33). Sure is nice getting a package at home that has items I would have previously had to pay a transfer fee to get. Some of the companies that I registered with were not as clear as others and after I called them I found I was registered but it would not come up until I was checking out. You may want to make some phone calls.

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
My first C&R purchases came in the mail also (CZ82 & TT33). Sure is nice getting a package at home that has items I would have previously had to pay a transfer fee to get. Some of the companies that I registered with were not as clear as others and after I called them I found I was registered but it would not come up until I was checking out. You may want to make some phone calls.

Just got off phone with Cheaper Than Dirt and they said they are not currently offering Dealer Discount too Type 3, any one else that experience?:puke:

jimf5

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Bound books

Hi All:

Got my 03 license yesterday. Does anyone know where I can get the record books anound here? Do I have to get them from the Internet? Would like to get them A.S.A.P.

jimf5
in Pahrump

Versalius

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I think I win the award for longest C&R processing time....8 days shy of four months. Finally got a scanned copy emailed to me and the physical in the mail. Turns out the ATF processed my payment, issued a license number and my paperwork disappeared....stay classy ATF. Now to order a CZ82!

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Logbook

Hi All:

Got my 03 license yesterday. Does anyone know where I can get the record books anound here? Do I have to get them from the Internet? Would like to get them A.S.A.P.

jimf5
in Pahrump
I went to amazon (free prime shipping) just about $13. Just search ffl logbook. Enjoy your new privileges. Just an FYI I have found aimsurplus to be the most responsive to a c&r

Spork

Obsessed Member
I figured what the hell and sent in my app on Monday. I've always wanted a CZ-82 and maybe I'll pick up a P-64.

I see the suggestions about getting an FFL log book, but I'm a computer guy. Does your book need to be an actual book? Can I just keep a spreadsheet on my computer and print out a hard copy if requested?

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Founding Member
Forum Supporter
I figured what the hell and sent in my app on Monday. I've always wanted a CZ-82 and maybe I'll pick up a P-64.

I see the suggestions about getting an FFL log book, but I'm a computer guy. Does your book need to be an actual book? Can I just keep a spreadsheet on my computer and print out a hard copy if requested?
I've heard that it must be a physical book, but I do exactly what you said. I have a Google Doc that I print when it changes. Then I stick it to my white board with a magnet. I do the same thing with my reloading recipes.

Spork

Obsessed Member
Wow, 34 Days, that was fast! I recieved it today:thumbup:

Did you folks get anything in the mail with your License i.e Books, pamplets?
Got mine today as well. Beat you- mine only took 25 days! Surprised me as I was expecting at least 8 weeks.

BTW, I didn't get anything with it, just the license. Maybe they send that stuff separately?

Now to decide what to get first...

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Got mine today as well. Beat you- mine only took 25 days! Surprised me as I was expecting at least 8 weeks.

BTW, I didn't get anything with it, just the license. Maybe they send that stuff separately?

Now to decide what to get first...
My packet came separate from my ffl. About a week later.