• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Howa HCR 1500 or Ruger Precision?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Researching always leads me to spending money!
6.5 Creedmoor....
Is a RPR really work a few hundred more than a Howa 1500?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Well you need to look at the features of each and what you want. Freefloated barrel, bedded action ot chassis, muzzle brake, adjustable trigger, adjustable cheek riser (lop as well), drop magazine, sling and bipod attachments and any other personal requirements. Once you figure out what you need then add in what it costs for each rifle to meet your needs.

I've always found Rugers to be a good value firearm. Mid range prices, very high quality, and to what I've read, they stand behind and fix any issues - not a lot of info on this because I don't think many people have ANY problems with their firearms not working 100% out of the box.

Don't know a lot about Howa, but I've always rather thought they were a cheaper manufacturer (not like a Jennings, etc).

For me, the Ruger is worth the extra $$.

Would also say resale and retention of value would be a lot better.

Just my $0.02

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I have plenty of Rugers. They do well at getting repairs back, but not necessarily done right. Had a brand new LCP that went back TWICE because it couldn't fire ball ammo! I gave up on it.

When researching modular out of the box precision rifles, came across a few besides the Ruger Precision, I came across others being made by Weatherby, Howa, Savage, Remington, Thompson Center, etc. After a bunch more research, I found that Howa has been making rifle actions for a long, long time. They even make them for Weatherby.

Found a bunch of reviews on the Howa- and a deal $350 less than I could get the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR. So, I pulled the trigger. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

I have plenty of Rugers. They do well at getting repairs back, but not necessarily done right. Had a brand new LCP that went back TWICE because it couldn't fire ball ammo! I gave up on it.

When researching modular out of the box precision rifles, came across a few besides the Ruger Precision, I came across others being made by Weatherby, Howa, Savage, Remington, Thompson Center, etc. After a bunch more research, I found that Howa has been making rifle actions for a long, long time. They even make them for Weatherby.

Found a bunch of reviews on the Howa- and a deal $350 less than I could get the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR. So, I pulled the trigger. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

Coolio. Looking forward to a range report - with pics!

I guess everyone can draw a lemon with any manufacturer.

I bought a Glock 42 (.380) back when they first came out. Took it to the range the next day and the damn thing stovepiped every 2nd or 3rd round. I was shocked, as have owned many Glocks over the years, and they have a well deserved reputation for JUST WORKING. Emailed Glock, they sent me a labeled and postage paid box, got it back within 10 days and it has run flawlessly with every type of ammo since then.

Had a PTR32 for awhile (HK style rifle that uses AK mags). Nothing but malfunctions out of the box. Sent it back to manufacturer, and it was better, but still not 100% reliable. Maybe one stovepipe per 30-round mag. Not good enough to earn a permanent place in my safe next to my 100% reliable AK's. Sold it at a loss, with full disclosure. Could have sent it back in to the manufacturer myself, but having to do that more than once on a $1200 rifle just put me off.

Klaatu

I quite like Howas. Some things that appeal to me.

1) One piece bolt. Bolt handle and bolt are from a single piece. Bolt handle is not brazed on.
2) AR-15 style extractor. Gunsmiths often charge over $100 to machine a Remington bolt for this.
3) Flat bottom action. Some like this, others don't. I see pricey custom actions using both.
4) With the flat bottom action, the recoil lug is integral. No separate lug.
5) Bolt comes apart with no tools.
6) The HACT trigger is two stage and pretty good in my opinion.
7) Series of vent holes along side of bolt, directing any escaping high pressure gases off to the right.
8) Long spacing between the two action hold down screws.
9) 3-way safety.
10) Inexpensive, available as barreled action on sale at Brownells at times for really cheap.
11) Aftermarket barrels available as usual shouldered barrels, or with barrel nuts.

Not all is perfect.

1) Bolt knob too small. I got an aftermarket one that clamped on for $25. Works perfect. Some rifles now come w/bigger knob.
2) Bolt lift a bit heavy, but new knob helps, as does some use to break in.
3) Can be magazine fitment issues with certain stocks or chassis.
4) Barrel can be really tough to get off, but a good barrel vise should make it a non-issue. Your results may vary!
5) Action thread for barrel is metric (26mm, 1.5mm thread pitch). Not all gunsmiths will thread metric. Short Action Customs will.

I am not affiliated or supported by Howa and/or Legacy Sports (Howa importer). Just a satisfied Howa owner.

Phil

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Researching always leads me to spending money!
6.5 Creedmoor....
Is a RPR really work a few hundred more than a Howa 1500?
My Ruger RPR 6 5 Creedmoor was .5 moa with Hornady ELD. ZERO issues! I have the RPR in 338 lapua and 22 mag as well. Recommend!

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
While
I've always found Rugers to be a good value firearm. Mid range prices, very high quality, and to what I've read, they stand behind and fix any issues - not a lot of info on this because I don't think many people have ANY problems with their firearms not working 100% out of the box.

Just my $0.02
While I would 100% buy any ruger firearm, especially the RPR, You must not have done very much searhing if you havent heard of issues with their firearms. Theres a joke among alot of people, along the lines of its not IF that model has been recalled yet, its WHEN it will be recalled. "Just got a new ruger!" "Sweet, has it been in the the recall yet?" '

That being said, their customer service is good and they'll take care of most any issue you had. Their products are generally over built.

I have a friend with RPR in .308 and he loves it. I've only shot it a few times but it was quite nice.

No idea about Howa's.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I have only been out with my Howa once, to sign it in. I can't recall 100%, but I believe I was using "plinking" ammo (rather than match).
Damn thing was hitting the same hole in the paper at 100 yards. Not cleanly, but certainly making holes that touched a previous shot.

Pretty smooth trigger and I like the funky Luther stock.

Between the two, I bought the Howa because it was cheaper. If they were the same price, I would have a dilemma. As stated earlier in the thread, Ruger service can't be beat

While

While I would 100% buy any ruger firearm, especially the RPR, You must not have done very much searhing if you havent heard of issues with their firearms. Theres a joke among alot of people, along the lines of its not IF that model has been recalled yet, its WHEN it will be recalled. "Just got a new ruger!" "Sweet, has it been in the the recall yet?" '

That being said, their customer service is good and they'll take care of most any issue you had. Their products are generally over built.

I have a friend with RPR in .308 and he loves it. I've only shot it a few times but it was quite nice.

No idea about Howa's.

Were the problems with a specific model?

While I currently only have 3 or 4 Rugers in my safe, I've owned probably close to 20 different Ruger models over the years, without a single problem.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Were the problems with a specific model?

While I currently only have 3 or 4 Rugers in my safe, I've owned probably close to 20 different Ruger models over the years, without a single problem.
No, its literally every model. I'm just saying nearly everything released from ruger ends up with a recall for some reason.

I'm not saying every one has problem, because there can be a recall that never actually shows up as a problem, but its ultra well know that stuff tends to get sent back or CALLED back to ruger a lot.

https://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/
https://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/
https://www.ruger.com/M77Recall/index.html
https://www.ruger.com/P85Recall/index.html
https://www.ruger.com/RugerAmericanRimfire22WMRFRecall/index.html
https://www.ruger.com/SR556VTRecall/index.html
https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php
https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety/index.php
https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/APRetrofit/index.php
https://www.ruger.com/pdf/newBearcatConvertible.pdf

I mean, those are just recalls that are posted on their page. Not to mention the countless things I see about people having a specific issue with a specific gun. I'm not saying this makes ruger bad, I see TONS of issue with S&W too, there are obviously Sig recalls yadda yadda yadda.

I'm seriuusly not knocking Ruger, but they have had just as many or more recalls and return issues as any other manufacturer out there.

Klaatu

While I quite like Howas (see previous post of mine above), I did recently handle a Ruger RPR in 300 PRC. It seemed to have that typical Ruger overbuilt feel to it, and 15.2 lbs w/o scope or loaded mag, it certainly feels well built due to the heft. I also liked the 70 degree bolt throw which had acceptable bolt lift effort. My Howas feel like they have heavier lift, but the short small bolt knob may be contributing to that. I thought I might go for the Savage 110 Elite, but the RPR did impress me.

Coup d'etat

Permanently banned from most websites
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I own a Howa Weatherby in 30-06 and a Howa Smith & Wesson M3000 12-gauge pump shotgun. Both are superbly made.

Coup