I think Im going to build a (historically inaccurate) trench gun.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I got the notches cut for the barrel screws, and sadly, I botched it.

They are ugly, first of all, and second, it ended up making dimples inside the barrel. Minor, and only 2 of them, but I think they had to be cut too deep, and I think I tried screwing the screws in too early, so the grooves weren’t quite deep enough and the screws forced the dimples into the barrel. I didn’t cut THROUGH The barrel at all, but I’m pretty sure the screws forced the now thin wall upward.

So, that’s disappointing. I’m probably wrong, but I don’t think it’ll be an issue. The dents in the barrel prior to this were worse, and I still fired it. Considering this thing will only ever see target load and will rarely be fired, I really don’t think it will be any problem. Also considering the fact that the areas I have dimpled are covered by like 1/8” of steel (bayonet lug) it should be solid. Im probably wrong, though, and it’s likely a bomb waiting to go off.

Sigh.

Don’t mind that massive pit located directly above the dimple...

DE22C83F-89A6-4188-833A-A999FA449D6A.jpeg

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Sorry I didn't see your question about the files until now.

You could use a needle file for this, or a pilar file.

You can Iron those dimples out of the barrel, but you need a lathe to make the tool to do it with, or buy it from Brownells or Midway.

This is a slight chance a wad could hang up in the barrel at the dimple point, and if another shot was fired behind it, the barrel could bulge or split, but the danger is slight that close to the muzzle.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Sorry I didn't see your question about the files until now.
You could use a needle file for this, or a pilar file. You can
Iron those dimples out of the barrel, but you need a lathe to make the tool to do it with, or buy it from Brownells or midway.
This is a slight chance a wad could hang up in the barrel at tge dimple point, and if another shot was fired behind it, the barrel could bulge or split, but the danger is slight that close to the muzzle.
Thanks for clarifying. I don’t slam fire it, so the likelihood of another shot hitting a hung up one would be very low, on top of the very low chance it would hang up in the first place.

It’s unfortunate that that happened, but to be honest I’m not particularly worried about it.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
Dr. M, you've done it again. That is a great "repo" 97 trench gun!! I thought about doing the same a few years ago. During my search for a candidate for a makeover, I ran across a guy here that was selling his Norinco model 97 Trench Gun copy for a price I couldn't pass up. The action was a little rough, but after a couple of hundred rounds, it's pretty damn smooth.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Dr. M, you've done it again. That is a great "repo" 97 trench gun!! I thought about doing the same a few years ago. During my search for a candidate for a makeover, I ran across a guy here that was selling his Norinco model 97 Trench Gun copy for a price I couldn't pass up. The action was a little rough, but after a couple of hundred rounds, it's pretty damn smooth.
Thanks!

I still havent shot it yet. Been shooting twice since finishing it, but dont have any cheap target load laying around. I dont really want to run much else through it since its so old.