• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

I would like advice on how to price a gun

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
I have a Taurus
Model HG-M66-B6 Description M 66 6in BL,357, 38
It is a 1988 with very little use, about 95 percent, wood grips. I have searched and cannot find anything.

New from Academy is $399.
My best estimate for yours would be $250 to $275 in very good condition. You could also take it to a couple pawn shops, see what they offer you, then list it yourself for 2-3 times the average of what they offered.

edit: You can also buy a digital look up online from Blue Book of Gun Values.

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I'm guessing pushing $300; maybe more. But less than cost of new. Sure that is obvious but have to also consider new will be an extra 8%+ over private party due to sales tax. $250 would sell much faster though, IMO.

I'm guessing pushing $300; maybe more. But less than cost of new. Sure that is obvious but have to also consider new will be an extra 8%+ over private party due to sales tax. $250 would sell much faster though, IMO.

Agree with this.

If it's in decent condition would probably sell for $300-325 pretty quickly - post up a couple of pics, OP, so we can see the condition.

Also, in my experience, 357 chambered revolvers sell a lot faster/easier than 38 specials.

Lots of folks like myself that own several 357's, and like the freedom/option to shoot light 38 special loads, or full bore 357's depending on the mood.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
... I have searched and cannot find anything.
You didn't say where you searched, but I've found the best place is the completed auctions at GunBroker. Only look at the final prices of things that actually sold in the same condition as yours. It's a rare gun that hasn't been through their auctions in the past few years.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'd say $350-$375, the turn line on the cylinder is barely even visible, so it has had very little use / cycling, and should easily bring that much.

Might start at $400 for wiggle room as mentioned above.
It's a nice piece and the few I have owned or worked on were well built, and accurate.
Usual work on these in the shop was a standard trigger job, or a change of sights or grip installation, very few actual repairs.

Taurus, like other manufacturers, has had periods of quality control issues, and also periods of fine craftsmanship exhibited in their products.

This one is basically a well done copy of a mixture of the S&W Models 19 and 66, although with some differences in the internals, like coil springs instead of flat leaf springs. Not too surprising, as from about 1965 until about 1987 Bangor Punta, a Brazilian company, owned S&W, and from 1970/ 71 also owned a controlling interest in Taurus until 1977 ,and also in Rossi.
Rossi's of that period were kind of Colt copies as I recall.

This piece falls into the period where Taurus had their poop wired down tight and produced some nice pieces.

Good luck with the sale, that's a nice piece.