I'm getting addicted to .22 - help me choose a rifle

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
My dad's 10/22 was the first firearm I ever shot at 7 or 8 years old as I imagine many members here took their first shot with. When I was a teenager my Grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 190. I hadn't shot the Winchester but a few times in the last 15+ years until January. Maybe it was the lower cost of ammo, nostalgic feeling or plain ole fun but I found it coming to the range with me the next 5 Saturday's in a row and almost every pew pew outing since.

In February I was looking for a target pistol and bought a S&W Victory 22 as it felt just a wee bit better in hand than any of the Ruger Mk series. The first day I shot it I tried 4 different types of ammo while adjusting the sights and found it shoots Remington Golden Bullets more accurately than CCI Stingers or Standard Velocity. The sights are incredibly accurate but it's a dime-size group shooter with the Bushnell TRS-25 I put on it last week. Heck I even bought a Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 Micro in March that I'm hoping is granted BATFE parole in late September/early October.

If the Victory wasn't enough I picked up a Heritage Rough Rider 22lr w/22mag cylinder for a plinker a couple of weeks ago.

Now that all of that unneeded rambling is out of the way I need a little direction in purchasing a dedicated target rifle. I like the Ruger Precision Rimfire (have held though not fired it) but am not set on it. My only requirements are it be bolt action, threaded to accept a suppressor and be no more than $500 as I don't want to surpass $1,000 putting a scope, bipod, etc on it. What would y'all .22 enthusiasts recommend? The RP(R)R? Something by Savage or by CZ if there are any in my price range?

I do not currently own a bolt gun so in addition to feeding my growing addiction it's a good excuse to get one as the Rough Rider was for not owning a revolver hehehe.

Many thanks for reading through my rambling and for your recommendations/suggestions/advice!

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
The Ruger will give you match rifle egos. A CZ455 in the proper configuration will give you the best accuracy maybe followed by the Savage...maybe. All will be around 1.25 to 1.5moa with the right ammo. The CZ might shoot a bit better.

In the wonderful world of 22lr everything is ever changing and somewhat unpredictable to a point. Money can cure many of those issues but we're talking serious money.

It all depends on the purpose of the rifle. Your use will dictate the features the rifle will need. Plinking vs Precision is a big difference. The amount of accuracy is dependent not only on the rifle but to a great extent ammo. 7 cents vs 20 cents a round.

What do you want this rifle to do? If it is just bolt action, fairly accurate , suppressed rimfire then the RPR is very functional and you can't beat the price. Probably $375'ish.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
The Ruger will give you match rifle egos. A CZ455 in the proper configuration will give you the best accuracy maybe followed by the Savage...maybe. All will be around 1.25 to 1.5moa with the right ammo.

In the wonderful world of 22lr everything is ever changing and somewhat unpredictable to a point. Money can cure many of those issues but we're talking serious money.

It all depends on the purpose of the rifle. Your use will dictate the features the rifle will need. Plinking vs Precision is a big difference. The amount of accuracy is dependent not only on the rifle but to a great extent ammo. 7 cents vs 20 cents a round.

What do you want this rifle to do? If it is just bolt action, fairly accurate , suppressed rimfire then the RPR is very functional and you can't beat the price. Probably $375'ish.
Bolt action, fairly accurate and suppressed will work for me for now and probably quite some time unless I really get into it.

What would you recommend in the way of a scope? Right now I have no magnified optics, just an EoTech, PA and Bushnell red dots so my knowledge of anything beyond 1x is pretty slim.

I doubt I'd regularly attempt much beyond 100 yards but would like to have the option to so presume I'd need something in the higher magnification range.

I hear you on serious money. Got an e-mail from CMP this morning about Garands and looked at the .22s while I was on their site. $1,595 whoa!

Thanks for helping me not over think it lol

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Yeah CMP sells the old 40X trainers. They are sought after because of their accuracy. Times are rapidly changing in the world of accurate 22lr rifles though. I have a RPR in both 6.5CM and 22lr. I like the ergos of those rifles. The RPR rimfire is a 1.25-1.5moa rifle with 22 match ammo in it. Aftermarket companies will be coming out with match grade barrels over the next few months so that may improve the accuracy but they may also cost as much as the rifle. We'll see how that shakes out.

The world of optics has taken substantial leaps in terms of features and price over the past 5 years or so. Today you can get a full featured tactical style scope for as little as $300. While they function of course we all know that you get what you pay for. Athalon is a newer company to the market that is building a bunch of value into their tactical style scopes. Last year I purchased 2- Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 x 50 scopes for $365. They were both full featured- Mil/Mil reticle and turrets, 1st focal plane, side parallax, Christmas tree illuminated reticle. The turrets were a bit mushy for my tastes though. In the Athlon line you can step up to various higher dollar models where the turrets will be more distinct. The Athlon Helos BTR goes for $550, same scope better turrets. I just sold all of my other brand tactical scopes recently and replaced them with all Vortex. On my 22lr rifles I run the PST II 5-25x50 Mil/Mil. This is another reasonable step up in build quality and it has zero stop, it runs $1100. Both of these companies have lifetime no questions warrantees. I would either go with the Helos BTR or the PST II. I spent a little more because I plan to keep these scopes forever. Rings will be another $100 or a bit more for good quality rings.

Once you get into your rifle you need to come check out the NRL22 Tactical Rifle Match at DSRPC. Every 4th Saturday morning. We shoot from prone ad other various positions. Last month we had standing, kneeling, seated, prone and off of a tire laying on its side, a 2 and 5 gallon bucket and a tank trap. Depending on the stage and position the targets ranged from 25y out to 200y and the targets raged from 1/4" at 25y up to 7" at 200y. We also had shots on 2" moving targets on a shooting gallery. The NRL22 has several categories of shooters, youth, ladies, base and open class so everyone is competitive based on their capabilities and equipment. Don't overthink the match either. It is a bunch of fun and put together for everyone from the new shooter up to regular match competitors.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
id suggest the CZ455 but heres some eye candy for you....

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/
My wife has an Apparition on order. That is what I meant about money curing the inherent challenges with a 22lr rifle.

The CZ 455 Tacticool is a nice rifle and possibly the most accurate of the $500 and under rifles as a whole. It will cost bit more after that possibly to get the cheekrest setup. I don't know how rigid the stock is or if the barrel is free floated. Good after market support. Last time I looked they were sold out everywhere but Bud's has a few available now.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
This page has a bunch of info but just remember that on the internet you run into a bunch of information and opinions that are worth slightly less than you pay for them. The guy in the posted video is shooting crap ammo for these rifles and it shows on his 35y groups. Don't get caught up in videos showing groups with 22lr ammo because everything is not equal rifle to rifle. You'll see the fliers in each group but that is due to his ammo choice. Click the Youtube logo in the widow so you can see the list of other videos.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I have a vudoo barreled action on order...going into an MPA BA lite chassis,bix’n Andy 2 stage tac sport and either a kahles 318i or a ZCO 5-20 to top it off.

We have at least 10 guys probably closer to 15 shooting SK pistol match in 10/22s both rugger and Kidd’s,a vudoo and CZs all shoot tiny groups at 50yds and shooting high scores at the NRLs.

This is the SK pistol match in my CZ455

Attachments

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
I just walked in the door with the RPR - got it at DGS for $399.99. I'll be looking at scopes more in depth online tonight. I always go over the manual to understand the insides and outs and give a good cleaning to a new firearm first.

Quickdraw - Midway USA has the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 for $339.99 shipped w/a $30 off promo that expires today. As my experience with optics is limited do you think the tactile-ness of the turrets for $260 more for the Helos HTR ($599.99 at Midway - haven't checked anywhere else) would be something I should consider now? They also have a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 with a Dead-Hold BDC reticle for $399.99. At the moment I can't see myself spending 4 figures on an optic though so the PST is out.

I understand MOA but am clueless to MIL. I see the Christmas tree in the MIL reticle and presume it's a BDC and also for windage - right?

My only experience with scoped bolt guns is a Howa 1500 in .308 with a 3-10x40 Nikko Sterling scope that came with it. I bought it when I still lived in CA thinking I'd take up big game hunting but never did. I zeroed it at 100 yards and got lucky and shot 2-3" groups once or twice but don't think I ever took it to the range more than 9 or 10 times.

What brand/type of rings and bipod should I look at? I'm thinking more than a WalMart variety of the latter.

LongRange - those rifles are b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. Hell downright sexy. Just a wee lil' bit more than I'm willing to spend right now though. Nice groups too!

Thanks for the the input gents it is much appreciated. I know all about the AR and Glock platforms and a fair amount with 1911s/PCCs but am a total uber n00b to anything precision-related.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
In my experience with the Athlon Line I would spend the extra and step up to the Helos BTR if you can swing the money. You will be much happier in the long run (short run too). Stay away from BDC scopes, they were built for hitting minute of deer or other animal. I ran with Moa for years but when I went through and replaced my scopes recently I went with Mil on everything. The main reason was because all of the people I shot with were Mil and it made it easier to spot for each other. Switching from one to another was no big deal, it's all just numbers for the most part.

Congrats on the RPR, you'll like it's fit and function. Remember that you are connecting your aiming mechanism to your rifle. Cheap rings will give you cheap results. Your rings could also protect or damage your scope so don't cheap out there. I use Nightforce my scopes on high power rifles. Vortex makes nice rings as well. I have some basic Vortex Precision rings on a few of my 22's. I may have an extra set but I'll need to look in my basket of unused goodies. Stay away from all of those cheap cheap rings. They are crap, probably won't hold and may damage your scope.

I usually look at AMAZON 1st as I have a prime membership so the shipping is free 2 day. Once you get everything you will want to use a proper in/lbs torque wrench to put it all together. If you don't have that there are people here that will help you put it all together. Just let me know.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Optics Planet has the Helos BTR for the same price as Amazon and you might get it tax free from them. I'd check both before you order. Tax is $48.36. That's real money. Midway has the same deal and maybe an additional discount right now.

I also was planning on getting into 22lr. I had a custom cz 455 made by djdilliodon which is known for his accurate builds. I ended up spending over 1500 on it 6 months ago and have never even shot It. Hopefully one of these days

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
if you want an inexpensive scope you might want to look at the primary arms 4-14 and the athlon argos BTR...both will be pretty easy to sell off if you up grade later.

and unless your going to be bench rest shooting or F-class go mils theres not many tactical guys that shoot MOA so it makes it hard for them to spot for you and the comunicate....mils are simple...1mil is 3.6 inches at 100yds...1 click is .36 inches at 100yds or just over a 1/4moa.

you dont want a BDC scope you want one that you dial the elevation as far as the tree type reticle thats up to you...i like them because they make for fast follow up shots if needed and you want a FFP(front focal plane)scope most SFP(second focal plane)scopes have to be on full power for the reticle to line up right and have the scope up to full power makes it hard to find targets.

rings...weaver tactical and vortex tactical are decent and inexpensive...and you will most likely need high rings QD will know because he has or had an RPR.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I also was planning on getting into 22lr. I had a custom cz 455 made by djdilliodon which is known for his accurate builds. I ended up spending over 1500 on it 6 months ago and have never even shot It. Hopefully one of these days
Time to get that 22 out to the range. We have added 32 steel tactical style targets to range 7 at DSRPC. Get out to the Tactical 22 Match.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I have a vudoo barreled action on order...going into an MPA BA lite chassis,bix’n Andy 2 stage tac sport and either a kahles 318i or a ZCO 5-20 to top it off.
We ordered an Apparition with an 18" Bartlein barrel. Putting it in the MPA BA Lite as well. Went with a Calvin Elite trigger and we'll put one of our Vortex PST II 5-25x50 scopes on it. We went up to Vudoo GW to see the rifles and talk with Paul about a rifle for me. An hour later we had decided on the rifle and somehow it had become my wife's rifle. Go figure.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
I ended up getting the Argos BTR with mil reticle and (laugh if you must!) UTG bipod that is 2 separate legs that mount directly to the M LOK slots. It had great albeit limited reviews.

I actually came back on to ask Quickdraw what height rings I should get. I know I'd never put a larger objective scope on it but understand flip up caps require a wee bit of extra room. Being the desert I presume I may eventually want a sunshade too.

Also QD what brand ammo does your RPR prefer and where do you usually get it from? I do know 2 of the exact same rifles won't necessarily like the same ammo and I plan on getting at least 7 or 8 different brands/types to try.

Thanks again for your help fellas!

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
I was at the WalMart in Centennial Hills and decided to stop in at Sportsman's Warehouse as I wanted to get a BX-10 mag. I'm fairly certain that the BX-15 that came with the RPR is DOA as it rattles and has a lot of play when inserted into the mag well. Anyhoot I grabbed the following ammo while I was there:

CCI Standard Velocity
CCI Green Tag
Federal Gold Medal
Aguila Rifle Match
Aguila Subsonic Solid Point
Norma Match-22
Norma Tac-22

I've never fired any of these rounds out of any .22 so I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. As my scope isn't scheduled for delivery until Thursday I'll likely add some more brands/types by the time I get to the range a week from tomorrow.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I'm using Nightforce X-High rings on my RPR. They are 1.375" high. The scope has a 50mm objective with a sun shield and with set of Vortex Defender caps they just barely clear the forearm.

My RPR and 10/22's all like SK RIfle Match. I've tried a bunch of different match ammo and this is what I settled on. Lapua Center X was also very good but at .23 cents a round and the SK at .15 cents a round it wasn't worth the extra cost. CCI SV at .7 cents a round was by far the best budget ammo with the main difference being it throws a few more flyers. I didn't know that my local Walmart carried so many different types of match ammo. Grouping is one thing but consistency is a huge factor and the claim to fame for match ammo is it being more consistent shot to shot. You'll also see that all match ammo is subsonic and for a good reason. You don't want to deal with the effects of a supersonic bullet going trans-sonic in flight. The instability in the trans-sonic range kills accuracy and consistency. Higher velocity 22lr ammo goes trans-sonic around 50y to 100y depending on the MV.

When you do your ammo tests fire 10 or more rounds of the ammo you want to test before looking at your group. You do this to condition the barrel with the wax/lube on that particular bullet. I also don't use the 15 round mag that came with the rifle. The RPR just like the 10/22 is magazine sensitive. Some mags shoot better in one rifle that the other. I found one of my 10 round mags that the RPR likes and it stays with that rifle.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
Thanks again Quickdraw your .22 guru-ness is much appreciated! I reckon I need to be patient for the arrival of everything and read up all I can on mils, the ballistics of .22lr and anything else that I will eventually understand but not know how I came to lol

I’m having an absolute blast shooting the 22lr. Less noise, less recoil and super precise... what’s not to love. Like longrange said earlier give the SK pistol match a try. I have ordered at least 20cases of that for a bunch of us and it definitely shoots good in many different rifles.