interesting factoid on airweight.

My wife now has a ccw & opted for a S&W J frame airweight, because, as U no doubt guess, it weighs nothing. Problem is, at range to practice, recoil is greater than she finds acceptable (kindly worded) even w/ standard 38 spl. She couldn't blast a box of 50. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Try different grips. I had a 357 that would kill you before 5 shots, new grips and my mom had no problem with a box.

The laws of physics will NOT be denied.

I have a S&W Airweight 38 special snubby with the shrouded hammer, used to carry a lot before I got a Ruger LC9S Pro.

Everything you said is spot on.

I put a couple of hundred rounds through it for practice, but it was never very enjoyable.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Finding the right set of grips for these micro weight hand cannons is of paramount importance.
The right grips can alter how all the recoil is perceived, taking what was a sharp, painful sting with the factory grips and making it a still strong thump spread over a larger portion of the hand, and changing the point in the grasp of the gun that the pistol rotates around can make a difference too.

Getting it to be "comfortable" to shoot for 50, 100 or XXX round may not be possible for all hand sizes , grip types , guns, shooters, loads, etc. as there are a lot of variables in that formula, but you can usually find one combination of the above that is the most workable so that a sufficient amount of practice can be obtained without inducing a flinch, or causing pain or damage to the shooter's hand.

Finding the right set of grips for these micro weight hand cannons is of paramount importance.
The right grips can alter how all the recoil is perceived, taking what was a sharp, painful sting with the factory grips and making it a still strong thump spread over a larger portion of the hand, and changing the point in the grasp of the gun that the pistol rotates around can make a difference too.

Getting it to be "comfortable" to shoot for 50, 100 or XXX round may not be possible for all hand sizes , grip types , guns, shooters, loads, etc. as there are a lot of variables in that formula, but you can usually find one combination of the above that is the most workable so that a sufficient amount of practice can be obtained without inducing a flinch, or causing pain or damage to the shooter's hand.
Thanks, good advice.