• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Is this a “normal” revolver thing

While shooting both my relatively new SP101 and new GP100, I have been feeling something on my cheek, like fine sand or something, hit. After this weekend, having gone through about 400 rounds of 357, and feeling it maybe 4 times, I noticed a few tiny marks in my cheek which actually penetrated my skin. Is it powder, schrapnel? These are handloads, somewhere in the middle of the power range

Could be the timing and shaving lead but I doubt both are out of time. Could be unburnt powder. Normally it will hit the guy next to you. Is it normal? possibly.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
The only time I get powder to the face is when using Winchester "Win-Clean" ammo. Not a revolver, but in my case the ammunition was the culprit. It stings pretty darn good. Another annoying attribute with that ammo is my WC CQB hates it. The only ammo I've had trouble with using that pistol. I got the ammo for free from a local police armorer so that's the only silver lining.

RFSALES

uber Member
Check to see if forcing cone has burrs or appears to be small. I like revolvers to have a 11 degree cut to allow the bullet to enter the barrel. I have been reading of some complaints of new revolvers with problems with this.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
This is a common occurrence with revolvers, but is an indication that something is out of alignment.

Alternatively, you could be being spattered by lead/dirt splashback if you are shooting at close targets.

This is a common occurrence with revolvers, but is an indication that something is out of alignment.

Alternatively, you could be being spattered by lead/dirt splashback if you are shooting at close targets.
I’m shooting 25 yards and beyond. It only happens a few times each time I shoot. After a couple hundred rounds in each, my fingers are black, so maybe it is powder. Not enough to make me stop