• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is this what precision rifle is these days?

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
In our match this past Saturday we had 22- 6.5's and 7- 6's. The 30's have fallen out of competition favor mainly due to how they fight the wind. Wind and your ability to read and correct for it is probably the biggest challenge that separates shooters. Many of the various competitions/leagues set velocity restrictions to deal with the potential for damage to match targets. The reality is though that the high energy calibers are impractical for this type of shooting as the recoil makes follow up shots more difficult and in matches that can run from 50 to over 100 rounds those calibers would just beat down someone trying to shot them. Recoil management is the primary reason that people are looking at 6mm to start with.
What i figured. Im behind the times still sporting a 308 and 7mm for the longer range stuff.

Have heard those 6.5s ability to buck wind is borderline fu**ing magical. I'm still fond of the 260 so perhaps its time I jump on the wagon.

As fot socom and dhs switching.. I dont think you'll see a whole lot of price drop as they wont be producing "range fodder" in 6.5. If its for socom and dhs snipers.. Likely it'll be some pretty damn good ammo with the civilian population getting the "X" imperfect ammunition which will still command a premium, much like xm855 did for so long (which i still don't understand why)

Sonic Sammy

Obsessed Member
Things of change quickly.
What was state-of-the-art 10 years ago “ in my humble opinion “no longer applies today.
In today’s world if I were to start out fresh I would do this.
#1-custom action in 700 Remington.
(or a Teaka action)
#2-Cartridge BR 6mm. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6mm_BR
# 3-Barrel Krieger Remington Heavy contoured 1/8 twist 4 grove .236 bore @ 24/26 inch.
# 4-Lapua 6mm BR brass
Or if you’re in the extremely advanced category I would run a 6 mm competition match.

(COMP MATCH)
6mm JLK 110g projectiles @ 3350+FPS.
5.2mil 1/4 MOA @ 1000/100yard zero 96E24B43-8BB0-4E1C-B78C-7A11AA29698D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm at least 1-2 steps behind the times even with the 6.5CM. If/when I move to a 6mm round people will have moved to something else. If I had the ability to get up early I'd try out the match at DSRPC on range 9, it looks like fun even though I'd likely come in last.

Nice shooting.

Things of change quickly.
What was state-of-the-art 10 years ago “ in my humble opinion “no longer applies today.
In today’s world if I were to start out fresh I would do this.
#1-custom action in 700 Remington.
(or a Teaka action)
#2-Cartridge BR 6mm. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6mm_BR
# 3-Barrel Krieger Remington Heavy contoured 1/8 twist 4 grove .236 bore @ 24/26 inch.
# 4-Lapua 6mm BR brass
Or if you’re in the extremely advanced category I would run a 6 mm competition match.

(COMP MATCH)
6mm JLK 110g projectiles @ 3350+FPS.
5.2mil 1/4 MOA @ 1000/100yard zero View attachment 33412

some nice rifles and sleds for the shooting but still I use my trusty old 6.5x55 born in 1932 and a old leather sling. the other one a 338 do enjoy watching these new shooters set up

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I don't consider the 6.5 Creedmore to be significantly superior to the 6.5 Swede, BUT the biggest advantage of the modern rifles is the ease for mounting modern optics.

I don't consider the 6.5 Creedmore to be significantly superior to the 6.5 Swede, BUT the biggest advantage of the modern rifles is the ease for mounting modern optics.
agree had to rearrange the bolt handle so it would not hit the scope but a small thing to do the 338 the 98 action I mounted the barrel and scope to nothing mauser pre set the bolt handle for me using the monstrum g2 and g3 fp scopes