• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jack hunting question

ding9116

I'm looking to go hunt some jacks just wanted to make sure that all I needed was a hunter Ed certificate. From what I understand jacks are unprotected year round and a hunter Ed card is all that's needed. Is this correct? Thanks for your time-jr

Just Deserts

They drew First Blood....
Forum Supporter
Coyotes, Crows and black tailed jackrabbits are all fair game without a hunter safety certification. These critters are considered varmints and not regulated. Although it isn't a bad idea to take the hunter safety course. You'll get all sorts of information and you could get licensed and live "higher on the hog" and harvest some game you can eat. I recommend anyone that wants to hunt to take the course, it's actually very informative and fun.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Cottontails all over the place around my house. Stupid idiots always try to run under my truck.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Coyotes, Crows and black tailed jackrabbits are all fair game without a hunter safety certification. These critters are considered varmints and not regulated. Although it isn't a bad idea to take the hunter safety course. You'll get all sorts of information and you could get licensed and live "higher on the hog" and harvest some game you can eat. I recommend anyone that wants to hunt to take the course, it's actually very informative and fun.
According to the Nevada Department of Wildlife, there is a crow season, they are no longer open game all year round.
And this years crow season is in two parts.
Sept. 1 -
Nov. 17, 2010
and
March 1 -
April 15, 2011
with a daily bag limit of 10 birds.
An upland game bird stamp is required for anyone
age 12 or older, to hunt upland game birds - except
turkey and crow. The $10 stamp is available
at NDOW offices, authorized license agents
statewide and online at www.ndowlicensing.com.
Funds from the stamp sales are used to support
guzzler maintenance and habitat work that benefits
upland game bird species. Upland game bird
stamps are not required to hunt dove.

Since there is a season on crows, it seems they are considered game birds, and you would need to have a hunting license to take them, but I'm not positive about that. A call to NDOW would probably be in order before heading out to hunt them.

See the NDOW web page here:

http://www.ndow.org/hunt/seasons/upland/0910_ug.pdf

When I was a kid in the 50's, there was no crow season, no bag limit, no license needed, they were considered a pest, and if you took the left wing to a fish and game (now Nevada Department of Wildlife) officer there was a 15 cent per bird bounty on them. We kids hunted them with sling shots and BB guns, used the money from the bounty to buy our .22 shells and shotgun shells.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Wasn't trying to do that, just didn't want you or anyone else getting tagged by the game warden. Now days, fines are high and they often confiscate your gun, vehicle, etc. for the most minor of infractions, or so it seems.

CA use to allow crow hunting year round, no limits. Then they were "protected" for years, no hunting at all.

Then, later, if you were a farmer, you could get a deprecation permit and hunt them on your land, or allow others to.

Now CA has a season like NV does.

When I was a kid, my Dad like to hunt them on the ranch by putting out some corn and then sitting at a picnic table in the shade a few hundred yards away.
A flat shooting varmint rifle was the weapon of choice.
You could explode a crow with a fast stepping center fire .22, and since the noise was a long way off, the crow's buddies didn't leave when ol Irving suddenly exploded in a cloud of feathers.
The rest would walk around him, poke and peck and kick at him, and go back to eating corn.
OR they would start chowing down on ol Irving. Crows are pretty much omnivorous and will eat road kill, etc.