• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Left the Mrs, left the boy. Deer season 2019

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
For a few days, anyway. Deer season, specifically shotgun / handgun season opens on Friday at about 0630 local! I got tags, 4 doe and 1 buck, and in serious need of trigger therapy!

Been so stoked waiting for this the last few months. And it’s just hours away.

One of these guys I’ve been hunting with just short of 30 years, the rest about 20.

And, truth be told, even if there were no shooting, the crew here is like a big therapy session. Sure, not as much alcohol as the old days, but the folks in this crew are the best. Represented are NV PA DE FL AL this year. It’s funny how diverse the backgrounds are. Retired .gov, doctor, janitor, chemist, hvac, real estate, IT, builder, exterminator, roofer, and a a few others I am forgetting now. Not much better anywhere.

It’s fixin to be a good weekend!

I’ll see about getting some prime east coast whitetail pics to post up.

Last edited:

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Live from the “stand”

I walk so bad my boots fell apart! Thought my feet felt cool and damp!

Overcast and misty quiet @640 buck busted friend at other end of woods. DD8FB93E-63A3-4A6C-81AD-A258C9774780.jpeg

Last edited:

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
While posting last a spike walked over, within 10 yards. Looked me in the eye. Blew. Too small

Waves of Canada and snow geese going over . Thousands of snows hundreds of Canada’s !!!!

Notes to self:

a left handed 1187’s safety works exactly the opposite as the right hand model.

When the leaves and grass are this wet, you won’t hear the deer coming

And stop posting and look around so you can SEE the deer coming! Duhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Afternoon hunt: quiet. A few shots off in the distance. Found GOOD boots at camp. 13EEEE!

Forgot I bought them on last trip. Final 40m or so. It usually starts happening now!

Owner wants a doe if we can... let’s see how it plays out!

On the way back from group lunch, the guard buck was at the front gate. Couldn’t see the height but the width was well outside ears. But not our place. He stood there watching me open gate.

Pandanin

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Good stuff. Keep the updates coming. I'm sitting here where it is nice and toasty living vicariously through your posts.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Nothing tonight more tomorrow. One field had 17’deer in it . No hunters

Tomorrow morning hunt and maybe some driving. Owner has 40! Crop damage tags. It’s a different world in crop land hunting.

The guys at another farm got a few.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Heading out. Let’s see how it goes. Breezy 15-20 mph, 42f. On the edge of the marsh today.

As an aside, we’re gettin nailed, in Vegas, and the left coast.

Gas is running 2.33, diesel is 2.89. A little variation but that’s about right

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Sun was just coming up over the marsh. Looked up and saw a front leg.

First tag filled, doe moving through the woods. Gonna be some tenderloin tonight.

Still early and a number of folks out. Gonna wait a bit and see what else moves through

BACA2108-E14C-4098-ACED-9F39F6DDEEFD.jpeg 5A0C3135-4347-47F1-8978-FBF5B694EDC3.jpeg

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
As I am sitting here the Canada’s are trying to get to their best marsh spots. It’s up wind about 2-3 miles. Into the breeze about 25mph. They gave up. The snows are a little more determined, better flyers, or something. They’re trying now with a little more success.

Maybe they just read the wind better.

Gonna swing around the point and check the marsh out

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Crazy day. Got to parking lot with deer to load and move to home farm.

Doe standing in field 40y away, with 6 guys standing there talking. Spooked when they looked at her. Other guy shot buck in morning but lost it. Go back after breakfast and drive / look for buck.

Then breakfast. Field dressed deer. Meantime other guys back at farm saw nice buck went it and shot it. While looking for one buck and morning deer, 2 others ran out bottom for scared by hunter and ran back in. Another drive. Nothing seen.

While BSing at road, another deer walks into same woods we just drive. We go again.

Owner drive across field, jumps out like some TV police chase, sees 2’deer, shoots one and pulls it out in a DeAd run. Had a leash on it... or so it appeared. He missed the other one, no shot. They also found the morning buck. He drowned. Had to pull him out of pond. Drop deer at home farm.

Just got back for afternoon hunt. There’s a deer in front of my friends spot. Sneak, shot, hit, but must have been a bit far back. Dropped, no blood . Took off. Saw her a few ties but pines. To thick to get a shot.

Will search after morning hunt. Give her a chance to bed.

Waiting out last half hour or so now. Shots all around. Still 30 or so crop damage tags available. Plus my 4 doe tags.

A pic of some deer.

And they call it buckshot for a reason.

Sunday hunting is fairly new here. So tomorrow we go again.

90C0D25D-EB6B-43DA-BFB2-F1EE3AA8A4D6.jpeg

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Last full day, quiet early. Wind 25; gusting. 30 or so.’was 40f when I came out

Driving today after morning stand. Last night there were 20+ deer on a canola field. Where we were all running through earlier in the day . Need plan to thin that. A little.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
An aside here, Talking with the Florida guys last night, they said they went fishing a few weeks ago, caught 2. 10’ each. Wow!

9F0908AD-D70F-4B13-89F0-AF4C441E880A.jpeg

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Nothing on first stand today

4 drives, nothing on first 3.

Last drive. Buddy filled another crop damage tag, doe. Saw about 12 turkey one of which almost dive bombed my friend while waiting for me to get his deer off the marsh.

And a fox ran out and hid again.

Going to try to set a trap for the evening deer field to see if we can push them to someone to thin out.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Well, that’s it. Season is over. For me anyway. The last try, we got greedy, trying to get all 15-20 in the trap but it fell apart! A truck kept riding through the field and the deer got skittish and split.

So everyone in our immediate group got at least one. I tagged 2. My long time hunting buddy got one on a marsh drive / turkey fiesta

A good season with old friends. It don’t get no better. Fly tomorrow evening, home around midnight , off Tuesday to recuperate. Back to the grind Wednesday.

As i wasreading this, i almost forgot that i was unsuccessful for a tag this year. Thank you
But someone mark the doe in that last picture I've played where's Waldo with it for an hour. Where is it???

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Right smack in the middle of the picture. There is sort of a circle of pine branches, it’s in the middle. I posted that as a thumb nail, I think it shrunk things a bit much. Try this one.

I think you can actually see 3 or 4 in this pic.

They were coming from the right side of the picture.

As i wasreading this, i almost forgot that i was unsuccessful for a tag this year. Thank you
But someone mark the doe in that last picture I've played where's Waldo with it for an hour. Where is it???
E059E654-37CC-4550-AF37-FCB8B5B33D2D.jpeg