Let’s talk left handed bolt guns

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
With the sale I made today, I’ve funded the majority of my next purchase: a left handed bolt gun in 30-06. I’m looking for recommendations, and I figure the fit and finish will be similar to right handed models, but a new thread full of fresh opinions is always handy lol.

The long story:
I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left handed, and I’m left eye dominant. I’ve always shot rifles left and just dealt with it. Target/bench shooting is always easy enough, and I figured for EBR’s I should just adopt shooting right hand models wrong so I can pickup any rifle as needed. Fast forward to my first (and unsuccessful) big game hunt last year for antelope: all of the climbing in and out of the truck, loading and unloading, and realizing how long it actually takes me to manipulate the action wrong handed finally convinced me to give up and work on grabbing a rifle made for me.

I’ve mostly bought my rifles used, and I’m not opposed to hunting for the right deal used again, but part of me is thinking of going new for this purchase.

What I think I want:
-Synthetic stock is a must for weight
-30-06 (because I have another rifle and don’t want to add another caliber, and should be a “good” enough for most of what I want for the next decade)
-Stainless finish. I could be swayed on this, but the Tikka that Steve Rinella carries on MeatEater always looks damned sweet.
-Adjustable trigger. Especially if I’m buying new, me thinks this is something I should pay a few extra bucks for.

I just got rid of a Mossberg 100-ATR that had a lower end Simmons 3-9x40. I had that rifle out to 300 yards at the Washoe range ringing the 8” gong, but that felt like the limit of what *I* could do with that rifle. I’ve got about $800 to spend, and I’m hoping that I can put together a gun and scope that gives me confidence out to 500 yards with that budget.

Hopefully that’s enough info to get your guys’ creative juices flowing. Anything you think I’d love? What to avoid? I’m leaning towards Tikka or the Ruger Americans, but also like the way the grip/stock looks on the Thompson Dimension. I’ll be going out and fondling rifles here in the next month to see if any stand out when shouldered.

Thanks in advance.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Well, lets see, there is the Remington 700 CDL, that's available left handed, so is the Thompson Center Dimension, the Weatherby Mark V, the Browning X Bolt, the Tikka T3 and the Ruger American Rifle, all available in 30'06.
Prices vary, but you could probably find almost any of those used reasonably priced.

Savage makes some lefties as well. Not sure about the combination of Stainless and lefty in 30.06 though. I have a custom bench gun built on a savage left-hand action, but that doesn't count :)

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
So after a weekend of fondling and touching, I think I’ve narrowed it down to Tikka, Ruger American and Savage based on how nice the stocks feel and shoulder. Really like the Tikka but I was hoping to get a rifle *and* decent 12x scope for my $700 budget.

I’m reading reviews from some that the Tikka really suffers accuracy issues on follow up shots. How say everyone else? I’m not at all looking for a bench rifle that can handle 60+ shots in 5 minutes, but I’d also like to enjoy taking it to the range and running a full mag at a time as I get comfortable behind it. Is the Tikka really that sensitive to heat buildup?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
From a gunsmiths prospective, and a shooters too, the Savage 10 and 110 series with the acu trigger, out of the box, are the most accurate mass produced rifles available today in my opinion.
Rare is the one I have encountered that won't put 5 shots into a 3/4" or less circle at 100 yards with factory ammo, and usually better with hand loads once you find the one it likes.

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
With the sale I made today, I’ve funded the majority of my next purchase: a left handed bolt gun in 30-06. I’m looking for recommendations...
I highly recommend the Springfield M1903A4 in 30-06 and yes...continue to shoot lefty. Thumbs up for lefties! No worries about working the bolt, saw it done impressively in a movie. It didn't faze this guy at all. ;)

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I've had a Savage 110 and was sorry I sold it. Smooth action, super accurate. Dumb me, just didn't like the .243 chambering. I have a Ruger Scout in .308 now and no way would I sell it.