Long Range and precision rifle 102

correct me if i am mistaken but on another mil dot reticle formula you can use

height in yards x 1000 divided by mils = distance in yards

for example 6 foot man = 2 yards 2x1000= 2000 2000/5mil = 400yds

or an elks average back to brisket is .75 yards. .75 x 1000 = 750 750/3mil = 250yds

as we all know actual range estimating is never this clean but we can wish.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
You are correct. Their are different variations of the range estimation formulas. Use which ever works for ya.

Since I'm a MOA shooter I take the know size of the target in inches and x 0.953 then / by MOA through my reticle and x 100 for range in yards.

I could also do target size in inches / target in MOA x 95.3 for range in yards. I will usually do a range in 0.1 MOA increments on the target height and width and average them for a close educated guess.

You'll find out its similar for dope'ing angled shots. Use the method that works best for ya.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Port side

I have never personally shot this, but I heard that what you do is turn the rifle port side up and you lay in your normal prone position. (the rifle is turned 90 degrees but you are not, if that makes sense?)

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
I have never personally shot this, but I heard that what you do is turn the rifle port side up and you lay in your normal prone position. (the rifle is turned 90 degrees but you are not, if that makes sense?)
+1, it sometimes shows up in matches. They throw stuff out there to keep you on your toes. I use my kit bag and lay the rifle on its port side (left side) and lay prone behind the rifle. You don't have a cheek weld so I make sure I have a good edge to edge sight picture. I dial 3 min right, and hold 3 min left once the rifle is on its port side or dial 3 min right and 3 min down for POA/POI. Your port side zero will depend on your scope height over the rifles bore.

While were out practicing this weekend Ill try and remember to take some pictures.

DesertDogg

Will you guys be out sun? If so from what time to what time? Oh yeah are you practicing here in town?

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Port side shooting

I dialed 3 MOA right and hold 3 MOA left once the rifle is port side. For long range shots I just use the 1 MOA subtension in my reticle and hold over. If your running a muzzle brake remember your going to toss up a good bit of rocks and sand. With my left hand I'm still using a rear bag.

Mikes_Z06_vette

Isang Bala Ka Lang! - FPJ
Forum Supporter
[MENTION=721]JFComfort[/MENTION]: do you have the side port doped to 100y/100 or 200y/200m and hold over from there? How far did you guys shot this technique?

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
[MENTION=721]JFComfort[/MENTION]: do you have the side port doped to 100y/100 or 200y/200m and hold over from there? How far did you guys shot this technique?
POA/POI is 100 yards and I hold over from there. I was shooting at a target 480 yards away. Its weird and a straight up goofy way to shoot but if it comes up in a match Ill be ready! lol