Looking for a long range scope for about $2,000

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I’m looking for a scope to top a 6.5 Creedmoor build. It will be a bolt action rifle intended to shoot longer ranges (up to about 1200 yards). Any ideas for a great scope for about $2,000? I do have the ability to buy a Vortex at 50% off MSRP, so that is a solid option. Looking at the Razor HD AMG in MRAD. I have an MOA scope on my .308, but thinking of making the change to Mils. Your input and recommendations are welcome.

If you can get a Vortex at 50% off then it would be silly to get anything but A top tier Vortex. I have no experience with the AMG, but I have a 4.5-27 Razor HD gen II sitting on top of my 6.5. It's a major step up from the Burris XTR II or the Busnell elite or the various PSTs I've used before. The AMG is quite a bit lighter and some like the EBR7 reticle vs the 2c. You can't go wrong with either. I got a good deal on the Razor so I went with that.

The Razor has more travel then the AMG, but both give you more than enough to get past the effective range of that cartridge.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
if your going to spend that kinda money on glass id suggest you take a look at the european glass...i have owned a lot of high end scopes and none even come close to the euro glass...personally i think the kahles 624i is the best scope made.

if you decide to take a look into euro glass id call CS tactical in elk grove and talk to mike or richard or camera land in NY and talk to doug...also theses been a LOT of nice glass for sale on snipers hide might want to take a look there as well.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
If you can get a Vortex at 50% off then it would be silly to get anything but a top tier Vortex. ....
I'm a Leupold snob and that was my first thought. I don't know how 50% off MSRP translates to savings off actual retail prices, but the top end Vortex stuff is well represented in the precision rifle fields. You'll probably be best served by getting your best value scope now and then learning what things you like and don't like before you REALLY get serious. I've moved my 8.5-25x50 Mk 4 Leupold to my Savage 10 6.5mm. It's also the scope that transitioned me from MOA to mils.

I also did buy a mid-range Vortex because the price was too good to pass up at the vendor booth at a major 3-gun match last year. Their stuff does impress me for the value.

Last edited:

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If you can get a Vortex at 50% off then it would be silly to get anything but A top tier Vortex. I have no experience with the AMG, but I have a 4.5-27 Razor HD gen II sitting on top of my 6.5. It's a major step up from the Burris XTR II or the Busnell elite or the various PSTs I've used before. The AMG is quite a bit lighter and some like the EBR7 reticle vs the 2c. You can't go wrong with either. I got a good deal on the Razor so I went with that.

The Razor has more travel then the AMG, but both give you more than enough to get past the effective range of that cartridge.
I have not done a lot of long range shooting, nor have I used super high end glass either. However vortex usually seems to strike a good balance between cost and performance. If the discount is as good as you say that’s an excellent starting point

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
That Zfk55 is wasted on you! I'll make you a sweet deal...
Sweet for you perhaps...just because you got some trigger time on her you think it’s yours all of a sudden? ;)

I added the st Marie products pic rail too. Not that the 4x Swiss scope was bad, but I’m a fan of a bit more magnification if I can get it.

Just for you mac
image.jpg

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Some good info. Thanks for the help, guys. Tough to choose. Any thoughts on first vs second focal plane? I can also get a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 (not the F1 version) for just under $2,000.

+1 for 50% off a Vortex is a no brainer.

I've got three Vortex Vipers, and for the price they are amazing. The only pricier scope I have is a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 which retails for about TWICE what the Vipers do, and they are pretty much identical in terms of optical clarity.

I can only imagine how nice one of their top of the line Razors are.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Vortex AMG 6-24x50 EBR-7B-MRAD

I have it and like it. At 50% off of MSRP that would be $1,850 which should put it about $750 or more below the lowest price out there. If that isn't what you want then buy it and sell it to me for $2,000. I could use another one for a new 22lr ELR rifle I'm building.