• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

Looking for a Tokarev pistol

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
I'm looking to trade some Tokarev ammo for a Tokarev pistol if any of you C&R guys have an extra laying around. I want to trade local because I know if order from SOG I won't be able to resist buying two. Posted in the sales thread.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'm looking to trade some Tokarev ammo for a Tokarev pistol if any of you C&R guys have an extra laying around. I want to trade local because I know if order from SOG I won't be able to resist buying two. Posted in the sales thread.
SOG went out of business on 11 Dec 2018 I was told. Samco Global is also gone. And Sarco is in trouble they say
And I just found that info on the internet also..
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/southern-ohio-guns-is-no-more-cr-milsurp-collectors-weep/

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
During the years I had a gunshop that overlapped with SOG and Samco Global, and Blue Sky and a couple of other C&R importers were active, we bought thousands of milsurps and sold them, and I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have cherry picked through each and every lot of any of those that came into the shop and added them to my collection that was sadly lost when my mega yacht burned and sank over that newly formed volcano at the bottom of the Marianas Trench...……...

But it might have included mint condition Tula Arsenal SKS's at $19.95, SVT40's with scope rails at $59.95, Tokarev T33's at $29.99, and many more at similar prices.
The ammo was cheap back then too, Eagle Exim was located near me, about 4 miles away, so no shipping charge, 7.62x39 , FMJ, SP or HP at $39 per 1,000 , CAVIM 7.62x51 FMJ at $59 per 1K, 30'06 Greek on Garand en bloc clips at $109 per 1K, 7.62x54R at $59 per 1K, 8mm Mauser at $29 per 1K, 7.62x25, $19 per 1K, .30 carbine $59 per 1K on stripper clips, etc.

Ahhh, those were the days. You could afford the guns and the ammo...……..

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
You can also make 7.62x25 cases from .38 special , .357 mag, and if you can find them, 9mm Winchester mag cases.
Starline sells empty virgin brass in this caliber now.
Back in the day before Starline existed, and before .223/ 5.56x45 was plentiful, we saved .38 specials and .357 mags with cracked case mouths and made the Tokarev cases from them. Requires a lathe to do it, but only takes a couple of minutes per case.
Turn the rim down to about .387" i think it was, and there is already enough of a rebate there to let the extractor grab the case. Run it through a case forming die, or the sizing die, trim to correct length, light load for first firing to fire form it, and you're good to go.

TJ11

uber n00b
So I guess the real question is which Tokarev are we looking at ?

TT33s, Yugo M57 or one of the lesser value copies ?

Of them I see the Polish as being high quality. I feel the Yugo is the best value for the money. Plus I like the longer grip and extra capacity. I also like the 1911 style safety. The price was a big point too. $199 with holster and extra magazine.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Just realized (hey, I'm old, slow and blind!) that the original post #1 in this thread was from September of 2017, not 2019! It was a dead thread for 2 years before post #2 appeared.

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
Just realized (hey, I'm old, slow and blind!) that the original post #1 in this thread was from September of 2017, not 2019! It was a dead thread for 2 years before post #2 appeared.
Actually I was glad it got resurrected. I never did get rid of the copious amount of Red Army Standard Tokarev Ammo I acquired and I didn't see any deals to buy a pistol retail. I did see the $200 M57s at J&G recently, but I would still rather trade or buy local.

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
So I guess the real question is which Tokarev are we looking at ?

TT33s, Yugo M57 or one of the lesser value copies ?

Of them I see the Polish as being high quality. I feel the Yugo is the best value for the money. Plus I like the longer grip and extra capacity. I also like the 1911 style safety. The price was a big point too. $199 with holster and extra magazine.
I like the looks of the M57, especially with a safety that functions as God and John Browning intended. Got any Tokarev caliber pistols you would be willing to part with?