Looking for info on S&W revolver

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My friends uncle passed away and while cleaning out came across this Smith Wesson 38SPL with all the engraving and pearl handles figured it might be worth something. I don’t have the serial number yet but will within next few days thought maybe someone here might recognize from photos. Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
If nickel, I think it's a Model 36. If stainless, a Model 60.

Have them look under the crane when the cylinder is open, the specific model number is usually there, including the dash suffix.

Serial number might be there as well, or at the bottom of the grip frame.

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Thanks guys for the info I should have it in my hands in a few days to check for model and serial number. Hopefully it’s something special .

Thanks guys for the info I should have it in my hands in a few days to check for model and serial number. Hopefully it’s something special .
No "Hopefully" about it. That is a special handgun. The engraving looks factory done to me. Be very careful in shipping and insure it for at least $1000 when you do. Was the original box, papers and tools found in your Uncle's house? They are important too in obtaining the maximum value.

I don't even see a 'turn line' on the cylinder. I think it might just be unfired except at the factory. You are really really lucky in this find.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Very nice. It may not be either nickle plated or stainless, tough to tell from the photos, it may be just polished and "in the white" .
The style of engraving appears to be like that of. L.D.Nimsche, border to border engraving was one of his signature styles.
He died in 1904, so couldn't have done this one, but his style is often imitated.
I had a childhood friend who was a Master Engraver who did a number of revolvers for Smith and Wesson, and he was fond of Nimsche's style. His name was Terry Wallace, and if he did this gun, that would make it worth well in excess of $2k, if the gun is as pristine as it appears.
Terry often engraved his initials in some hidden location, such as under the grips, usually an intwined TW, or if room permitted, it would say Engraved by T. Wallace, or Engrvd by T. Wallace, or Engvr T. Wallace, all depended on the space available.

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
It took forever to get my hands on this it’s a model 36 serial number is ans2076 if anyone knows anymore please let me know I’m going to check in smith Wesson forum too. Thanks guys.

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Ok guys having a hard time getting info on this piece, I posted on the national Smith Wesson forum too I was told it was produced in 1989 but it all comes down to who did the engraving. I took off the grips and found a signature and it’s NOT the owners name so I’m hoping it’s the engraver and hopefully it’s a master engraver and someone recognizes it. Please if there’s someone or somewhere in Vegas I could take this and I’ll pay a reasonable fee to get this appraised please advise. Here’s a photo of the signature. Thank you for any help guys.

40EB223F-3CD7-45A8-B93E-7BB3912D08CF.jpeg

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Can't really read it, can you turn the gun side ways, and get a better / Clearer picture of the signature?

It looks like Gene something, and the letters CCN? on the back arch of the frame, can't make out any letters on the front arch of the frame.
Is the last letter of that CCN? string an M? Concealed Carry New Mexico?
A master engraver would not use a vibrating pencil to leave his signature, I have a feeling that was a previous owners name somewhere back down the line, unless you are only the second owner that is, and know it's not the original owners name.

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Ok thanks I can’t be sure there wasn’t another owner prior to my friends uncle but it’s definitely not his name and what you said about how a master engraver would sign obviously makes sense. Oh well I was hoping she had something special. Here’s a better photo anyways.

8EB299B3-E74F-4048-B125-F8EF50AEF86B.jpeg

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
One last request for help, I’m going to post in the classifieds a couple of guns other than this one, I know what to ask except for this one. It’s also a Smith Wesson model 36 but just plain blue model with wood grips. Here’s a couple photos what would be a fair price to ask? Thanks.

B35C961E-FE3D-4CBB-81E4-1E09BF560708.jpeg

E7753988-ACBD-4C6C-ABC8-D8B20DBE62A8.jpeg

8568BFF0-6CA2-4F0D-8A67-B4992018AB38.jpeg

D01BF995-20F1-4FAA-AECF-0EBC610C1040.jpeg

EDFC39E0-C67F-461F-843F-8681119422E1.jpeg

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
The close ups suffer from the camera focusing on the brick not the gun. Maybe try zooming in and taking pictures of smaller areas.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
No help with the last name on the engraved one, still can't read the last name or the fourth letter after CCN? but it pretty much has to be an owners name, etc. as I said, an engraver, master or beginner, would not use the electric pencil to mark his or her work.

As for the model 36, that's the square butt , looks to be 1-7/8" barrel and it appears to have had some use and abuse, not much , but enough to take it down in the percentage of condition .
Judging by the pictures only, so this is a rough estimate of its condition, it's worth about $300-$400. Can't find my S&W book at the moment to get a handle on it's rough age, but judging by what I remember of the serial number range on these, it's not that old, early to mid 80's , around 83 to 85 I think is when I remember them starting the 3 alpha, 4 numeric serial numbers.

jrj711

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yeah it’s tough getting a decent shot I did notice at the bottom it says hand engraved I’m looking right at it and can’t make out last name either. I think I’m gonna get her to keep the nice one and convert another liberal into a gun owner 😬and she wants the others sold. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

8BEBC1E6-F176-4F08-96A9-A4032642E80B.jpeg

538A5F39-0E4B-4686-B1C4-92A32016146B.jpeg