• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LV gun shop recommendations for a private sale BG check?

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
In LV. I have a few handguns that I'm considering selling, I have to do it 100% legally for reasons so I'm open to suggestions for local shops that do private sale transfers and do not over-charge. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is at the moment.

What shops do you all recommend? Thanks.

Poena238

Rock
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Maybe some other folks can chime in, because I'm curious as to how other shops and site sponsors do this as well.

I've done two transfers in the Vegas area, two different methods:

Shop 1): Buyer meets seller and negotiates sale. Buyer pays seller. Buyer performs BGC paperwork. Both buyer and seller offer NVID, shop photocopies both. Shop holds weapon until BGC returns. Buyer picks up weapon. If the BGC doesn't come back in buyers favor, seller has to perform a BGC to retrieve weapon back.

Shop 2): Buyer meets seller at shop and negotiate sale. Buyer performs BGC paperwork. Both buyer and seller offer NVID, shop photocopies both. Shop copies weapon serial # and all terms of the sale, charges transfer fee, and returns weapon to seller. When BGC comes through, shop contacts buyer. Buyer and seller arrange to meet at shop again, transfer money and weapon. This method seems like a bypass of the Sisolak law.

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
My shop does transfers. Buyer and seller both come in, gun stays with us, once background check. Seller doesn't have to come back as long as money changes hands before they leave to fill out the paperwork.

i've been going to ventura munions since it's closest to me. seems alright. good selection. employees can be rather intimidating and not very friendly, but that seems to be the norm for gun shops for whatever reason

bg check was $25 there, i'm sure they do private sale assists

My shop does transfers. Buyer and seller both come in, gun stays with us, once background check. Seller doesn't have to come back as long as money changes hands before they leave to fill out the paperwork.
Since your shop is holding the gun, if by chance the buyer fails the background check, does the seller have to complete a background check in order to retrieve his own gun?

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
Since your shop is holding the gun, if by chance the buyer fails the background check, does the seller have to complete a background check in order to retrieve his own gun?
That is how the law would have it. But there are several options available....

Just purchased a HK off Nevada Shooters site. Performed BG check $25 and transfer fee $50. At Bear arm on Basic st in Henderson. Great shop will certainly be back to shop at a later time.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Just purchased a HK off Nevada Shooters site. Performed BG check $25 and transfer fee $50. At Bear arm on Basic Rd in Henderson. Great shop will certainly be back to shop at a later time.
So a total of $75 for something the state does a free background check for? Did I read that correctly?

We have two sponsors in Clark County that do it for $25 total for members.

nschiff

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Did a transfer (as the seller) for $25 total at 2nd Amendment (one of the aforementioned forum sponsors).

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
wow, I didn’t realize Bear charged that much, but Spurlocks and Urban Civil Defense also charge $50 on the transfer, not sure if they charge for the background check or not.
all 3 shops are within a mile from my place.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
To be fair, I'm not saying they are wrong to do so. It is certainly their prerogative to charge what they want. Indeed, some shops are purposely trying to be expensive at transfers because they don't want to be a transfer store. They want to only be a real gun shop instead. The real bad actor is the state.

Last edited: