• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

M1A chambered on 6.5 Creedmoor

flyer338

NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
One cannot have too many guns or too much ammunition. Buy one and try it out.
Now, if they offered a left hand version . . .

AngryRed

Dumb Founded
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Always wanted an M1A, need to pick one up finally between political crises.

flyer338

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
has anyone fired the m1 that was fitted with a barrel chambered for the 458 mag
That might be difficult for many reasons. The first one that comes to my mind is the head of a magnum case is much larger than the .308 head. I do not think there is room in the design to enlarge it he bolt face to accept magnum brass.

flyer338

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
The article, like most news in the 21st Century, lacked depth and offers nothing about how the conversion was accomplished. I have a Garand and a M1A, I cannot see how the bolt face could be enlarged to accommodate a magnum (I have and shoot magnums from 7mm to .458 Lott). I wonder if they made a new bolt? A technological achievement given the space constraints.
There is nothing about shooting the .458 Winchester Magnum conversion, and that, along with the fact that it died, leaves me wondering how practical it was.
And yet, if they were available, I would want one. A large caliber semi auto is an attractive idea. Sort of like a Remington auto-loader in .35 Whelen.
If I was serious about a .458 magnum auto, I think I would start with a Browning BAR.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
There were also M1 Carbines done in .45 Win Mag.