• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Meatlocker recommendations?

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Founding Member
Forum Supporter
I spent about two days organizing and cleaning my garage. I also installed large ceiling storage.

Now I have room for a freezer!

What do you guys recommend for cu. ft., brand, price range, vendor, etc.

I plan on going on a hunt here soon.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Are you talking commercial walk-in type?

For the house, I always had good luck with Kenmores. You can pick up a 20.4cuft frost free upright for around $550 right now at sears. It's best to do your on-line research then go look at em'. I bough a small 12.0 cu ft kenmore used back in the early 80's for the garage. It's still kickin' and has outlasted a new pos whirlpool!

20.4 is pretty darn big too. I looked at it this past weekend and it's next on my appliance buy list. Don't think you'll find a home freezer much bigger. The kenmore elite series will run you a bit more, is energy star but noisy and runs more.

Last edited:

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
It's easier to get in and out of. My wife is short and couldn't reach the bottom of the chest type. Plus I din't like digging thru stacked packages.

The 20.4 upright is all right in front of you on shelves. It's all personal preference.

As far as the kenmore brand. My parents bought their 20.4 over 40 years ago. The only thing they replaced was the lightbulb.

...............markerdown

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Yeah, it looked like that from the outside. I just remember the main shelf area could easily store a processed muley or an elk for that matter

When I looked at it, Sears had the big post xmas 25% off appliance sale going on so the price was lower. It should still be going on. It was listed for $543.99, model #28042, and is in my "on-line" shopping cart

Watch for the holiday sales. The next big one should be presidents day. ..............................markerdown

Last edited:

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911
check craigslist, I got like new kenmore freezer for 75.00. There are alot of forclosures out there and you both win.

Last edited:

SoLasVegas

Not a new member
Forum Supporter
I'm sure most people know this, but since this thread is about freezers, I figured I'd add it.

If your freezer is not full or only partially full, fill it with bottled water. Once it is frozen, it will actually make the freezer work less and the water will help keep the freezer contents cold in case of a power outage. You can also move some frozen bottles to the refrigerator to keep it cool when the power is out. One more bonus: you will have a good day or two of a water supply in case the SHTF. It's also nice to have an ice cold bottle of water to take with you out to the desert for a day of shooting.

icode

Obsessed Member
I'm sure most people know this, but since this thread is about freezers, I figured I'd add it.

If your freezer is not full or only partially full, fill it with bottled water. Once it is frozen, it will actually make the freezer work less and the water will help keep the freezer contents cold in case of a power outage. You can also move some frozen bottles to the refrigerator to keep it cool when the power is out. One more bonus: you will have a good day or two of a water supply in case the SHTF. It's also nice to have an ice cold bottle of water to take with you out to the desert for a day of shooting.
Absolutely true!