Military Discounts

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
Not sure if its been posted but bass pro has changed from the 15-22nd to honoring the discount all month long. Not prior military but I did say thank you to them for it

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
NO military discount at Friendly Ford. Maybe they should change their name to Not Very Friendly Ford!

Mikes_Z06_vette

Isang Bala Ka Lang! - FPJ
Forum Supporter
It pisses me off that some stores only offer military discounts to ACTIVE service members. WTH?!!! So the 15 years plus and 3 deployments I served don't count?! :eek: lol oh well, I'll take my money somewhere else... :leaving:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
It pisses me off that some stores only offer military discounts to ACTIVE service members. WTH?!!! So the 15 years plus and 3 deployments I served don't count?! :eek: lol oh well, I'll take my money somewhere else... :leaving:
You see, ACTIVE service members have less money, and aren't here as often to be buying things, yet the store gets the "patriotic" label by saying they do it.

But to offer discounts to veterans who survived and otherwise made it back home and now are making and spending money here, would actually impact them.

ElevenBravo, NONE of us served for a discount at a store, but we can recognize who offers them, and choose to thank them for that recognition.

Home Depot and Lowes are among the stores that will only do veterans who have ID cards. I don't. I don't use any services at the VA and therefore don't have an ID card, just my discharge papers. More and more stores say they will give discounts to veterans, but only if you have the ID card. That's the one that pisses me off.

Bass Pro Shops and Sportsman's Warehouse gladly give me a discount with my discharge papers.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Yep. Reminds me of American Shooters, I couldnt buy an AR with a 1 in 8 twist because I wasnt retired military, law enforcement or one of their many groups they give discounts to including the TSA, the F***ING TSA. They label these rifles with these barrels as LE or Military only...no they arent Class III there is literally nothing special about them except their faster twist rate.

This is why I have never set foot in there again, despite their supply of M1A's.

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
Yep. Reminds me of American Shooters, I couldnt buy an AR with a 1 in 8 twist because I wasnt retired military, law enforcement or one of their many groups they give discounts to including the TSA, the F***ING TSA. They label these rifles with these barrels as LE or Military only...no they arent Class III there is literally nothing special about them except their faster twist rate.

This is why I have never set foot in there again, despite their supply of M1A's.
In their defense, it has nothing to do with twist rate. I can almost promise you it was because it was part of the manufacturer LE/Mil program.

Please don't just make assumptions because you felt like you were treated unfairly. These dealers have a very specific set of rules to follow set forth by each manufacturer. It is not up to them who gets the discounted (or specially configured) guns.

I am beyond sick of people (b****)ing and moaning about LE/Mil discount programs and them not qualifying for them. They act like the dealers are discriminating against them for some crazy unknown reason. I can assure you, dealers do not like turning down sales. I know this, because for the last three years I have worked for dealers that have had a number of LE/Mil programs.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
In their defense, it has nothing to do with twist rate. I can almost promise you it was because it was part of the manufacturer LE/Mil program.

Please don't just make assumptions because you felt like you were treated unfairly. These dealers have a very specific set of rules to follow set forth by each manufacturer. It is not up to them who gets the discounted (or specially configured) guns.

I am beyond sick of people (b****)ing and moaning about LE/Mil discount programs and them not qualifying for them. They act like the dealers are discriminating against them for some crazy unknown reason. I can assure you, dealers do not like turning down sales. I know this, because for the last three years I have worked for dealers that have had a number of LE/Mil programs.
You know what pisses me off? People with poor reading comprehension. The le/mil program was discounts on all Glock firearms and ANY AR rifle with a 1-8 twist rate or faster. There were no discounts on these AR rifles, it was said that I could not purchase ANY AR rifle with a 1 in 8 twist rate or faster unless I qualified under their policy which I have already stated includes the friggin TSA but not people who have served less than 20 years are arent on active duty.

You can almost guarantee me? I can almost guarantee I almost won the lottery and almost married a supermodel. Guess what, I was in the store and this is their policy. Instead of making "almost guarantees", you should do what I did and try to understand why someone who works for the TSA screening people qualifies to purchase an AR sporting rifle with a 1-8 twist or faster but someone who served 8 years, deployed twice, is rated at 70% disability by the VA and received an honorable discharge with several campaign medals and commendations is deemed unworthy to buy said rifle?

As others have said before me, we dont serve in the military for discounts or special benefits, I enlisted March 2002 because in October 2001 they told me I had to wait until I was 17 if I wanted to quick ship, but it pisses me off when I see a program that recognizes police, firefighters, paramedics, tsa, retired military, retired leo's, but not anyone who has honorably served their country for any time frame less than 20 years just as the previous groups have and do. It makes me feel like my service in their eyes is inferior and that ultimately is the point. Were not talking about discrimination, that would deal with a physical, ethnic, racial or religious trait. We are talking about disparity.

My original post was about a LE/MIL program that the STORE has not the manufacturer, the Glock program is what states the restrictions, the store has adopted the same to their AR rifles with 1-8 twist rates. If you find this as hard to believe as I did, maybe you should go there or better yet, save your gas and give them a call.

New Frontier Armory has a program, its called common sense and mutual respect. When I bought my first pistol from them, the guy (sorry dont remember his name) asked if I have served, I said yeah 8 years blah blah he gave me a free box of ammo, shook my hand. Once again I am not saying I expect this but I was shocked as s**t at the gesture and this kind of action does not go unnoticed. Since then I have spent well over $5,000 in NFA due to both their customer service and simple common sense. Do you see my point yet? If you have a policy, make it one of common sense, dont tell me I cant own an AR rifle but a high school dropout, TSA screener can because he got hired by EEO and will be a permanent GS5 for life.

Last edited:

Facejackets

Low Speed High Drag
The problem is you are wrong. Because I worked there for a year and a half, and I am very familiar with their LE/Mil programs. It sound like you either misunderstood what was told to you or you didn't care enough to listen.

Was the gun you were looking at a Smith and Wesson MP-15 V-Tac or an M&P Sport? How long ago was this? Those are the only two guns I cam recall that have 1/8 Twist Rates and are on the LE/Mil program from S&W.

American Shooters does give a 10% discount on everything they don't have an LE/Mil program for. Any current or retired LE/Mil, Current Security, Current or Retired TSA, Current or Retired Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic.

They also have LE/Programs for Glock, FNH, Smith & Wesson, Daniel Defense, Springfield Armory, Benelli, and I believe one or two more manufacturers. And every single one has different requirements to qualify. None of them cover non-retired vets.

You don't have to believe me, so go down to Gun Garage, and ask them the differences between all these programs. They carry a **** ton of LE/Mil guns too. If you are pissed that you don't qualify for most LE/Mil programs, you'll love one of Sig Sauer's rules. Non-retired vets don't qualify, but NRA Certified RSO's do!

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The problem is you are wrong. Because I worked there for a year and a half, and I am very familiar with their LE/Mil programs. It sound like you either misunderstood what was told to you or you didn't care enough to listen.

Was the gun you were looking at a Smith and Wesson MP-15 V-Tac or an M&P Sport? How long ago was this? Those are the only two guns I cam recall that have 1/8 Twist Rates and are on the LE/Mil program from S&W.

American Shooters does give a 10% discount on everything they don't have an LE/Mil program for. Any current or retired LE/Mil, Current Security, Current or Retired TSA, Current or Retired Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic.

They also have LE/Programs for Glock, FNH, Smith & Wesson, Daniel Defense, Springfield Armory, Benelli, and I believe one or two more manufacturers. And every single one has different requirements to qualify. None of them cover non-retired vets.

You don't have to believe me, so go down to Gun Garage, and ask them the differences between all these programs. They carry a **** ton of LE/Mil guns too. If you are pissed that you don't qualify for most LE/Mil programs, you'll love one of Sig Sauer's rules. Non-retired vets don't qualify, but NRA Certified RSO's do!
Im not talking about gun garage and youre wrong, in my experience the majority of places do cover veterans. I understood exactly what was told to me, unless I was retired or active duty, no discounts, but if I worked at the TSA, I get the same discount as a retired leo or military, doesnt get more clear than that. My issue is with the lack of recognition for those who didnt do 20 but sacrificed just as much and some even more. Their FN AR had no military program and the glocks were the only ones across the board discounted. What I am saying, is they have a policy that unless you qualify in similar traits to the glock program, a 1-8 twist AR isnt available to the general public unless you are one of the aforementioned.

Thats what this is about.. its not about discounts..its about being told I cant own a perfectly legal 1-8 twist AR because it is for their LE/MIL only, which again, is one of the groups previously mentioned including the damn TSA. I dont care about discounts, I care about their audacity to believe they have the right to restrict something because...they can. Thats it... Theres no rhyme or reason behind it and the guy tried to sell me that 1-9 twist FN AR after I was told I didnt qualify to shoot heavy .224 projectiles, hence my money is spent elsewhere.

As for Sig Sauer's rule, a person who is an NRA RSO who has dedicated time and money to their profession, I respect that, but to give a benefit to a screener who needed a GED and ability to grope genitals to get hired is offensive to me. Again, you seem to fail that the reason I was angry about this was the restriction of a perfectly legal piece of equipment, not a discount or benefit, it was being told I could not purchase a barrel with a specific rifling twist rate, until you can explain that your argument is both off topic as well as invalid. What LE/MIL program restricts rifling twist rates? What is next? Barrel lengths of 16 inches only for retired plumbers? Give me a break.

If retailers really cared about vets, they would have a sign that said they offered military discounts with copy of DD-214 or Military Discharge Card (Seems to me I have one somewhere...have to get it laminated and start carrying it) instead of having us ask for it like a handout or begging for it.

Military ID

DD-214 states in bold print "CAUTION: NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES"
Just an FYI Nevada Drivers Lic. Application form now has a section where you may request to have veteran designation placed on your license if you present your DD214. Lowes for one will take that as military ID, I don't know about other stores.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
Just an FYI Nevada Drivers Lic. Application form now has a section where you may request to have veteran designation placed on your license if you present your DD214. Lowes for one will take that as military ID, I don't know about other stores.
And that has exactly what to do with my post which says "DD-214 states in bold print "CAUTION: NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES"?"?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
It's about time! Thank you!

glennc

American Patriot
Yea, I've had that Veteran designation on my license for 6 months now.

Congress passed a new law for Veteran's ID cards.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/07/08/congress-passes-law-creating-id-card-for-veterans.html