• Welcome to Nevada Shooters!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, buy and sell with in our popular Trading Post and more! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
  • Attention mobile users! The Tapatalk integration is down until further notice. For the full mobile experience, please simply use your web browser on your mobile device to view the forum. Thank you!

Military Discounts

DonTom

Obsessed Member
I have discovered it's a good idea to ask in many places. Often, you must know about it, or ask, as they have no signs or anything saying anything about a vet discount.

I have found a couple of surprises.

A couple of examples, that I have not seen listed here:

1. Safari RV Parts (10% off to all vets on parts--VA card or DD214 required).

2. Triumph Motorcycles. $500.00 off on many new cycles, such as my 2013 Triumph Trophy SE--purchased new in 2013--DD214 required as they need to fax it into their HQ.

-Don- Reno, NV

MAC702

Schadenfreudist
I'll add Cabella's 5% they did it for me on my word!
I forgot my DD214 in my truck at Bass Pro one day, and I was buying a crapton of hunting clothes, so I would have gone back out to get it but I went ahead and asked anyway since I'd already gotten to the front of the line before realizing it.

"I'm a US Navy veteran, but I forgot my paperwork in the truck. Need me to go get it?"

"What did you do in the Navy?"

"Mostly school. I missed everything."

"You're fine, then. If you'd told me you killed Bin Laden, I'd make you go get the papers!"

I forgot my DD214 in my truck at Bass Pro one day, and I was buying a crapton of hunting clothes, so I would have gone back out to get it but I went ahead and asked anyway since I'd already gotten to the front of the line before realizing it.

"I'm a US Navy veteran, but I forgot my paperwork in the truck. Need me to go get it?"

"What did you do in the Navy?"

"Mostly school. I missed everything."

"You're fine, then. If you'd told me you killed Bin Laden, I'd make you go get the papers!"
Thats a good one.

What you do clean the **** out of the head!

Discounts

Home Depot -10% but not on everything like lumber/plumbing.
New Frontier Armory (E.Centennial Pkwy/5th St.)- LEO/Mil discounts on Glocks
- I got my G26 and G17 for $425 each
Lock and Load Tactical (Eastern/Candelaria Dr.)- LEO/Mil Discounts on Glocks
- I got my G43 there for $380
Spartan Arms (Horse/N. Decatur) - 5% on firearms/10% everything else
Champs
Finished Line
Chili's
Memphis BBQ (Craig/Nellis)
Old Navy

I will add more when I find more places.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Only if you have an ID card, which myself and many (most?) vets don't qualify for.
Did you go to VA and try to qualify? That's the only way to know for sure.

I thought I would not qualify until somebody mentioned to me that ALL Vietnam vets qualify--no exceptions--not for any reason.

There are other such reasons where you could qualify, but you won't know for sure until you go to VA and try. Only then will you will know for sure.

-Don- Reno, NV

R.C.

Vietnam, We never learned
I have 40% , if disabled they don't show a percentage anymore, just "service connected "
It's close to Halloween, if you're wondering why the pumpkin.

Down here Southeast of town in the swamp everyone who gives discounts honor it.

How come your card looks so different and has an expiration date?

Mine has no experation date and looks a lot different.

-Don- Reno, NV
They're switching over to a new I'd if I'm not mistaken. I have yet to receive mine.

Add spartan arms on the list 10% off everything including ammo and firearms.

MAC702

Schadenfreudist
Did you go to VA and try to qualify? That's the only way to know for sure.

I thought I would not qualify until somebody mentioned to me that ALL Vietnam vets qualify--no exceptions--not for any reason.

There are other such reasons where you could qualify, but you won't know for sure until you go to VA and try. Only then will you will know for sure.
Yes, I tried to get the ID card once before, and was told I'd made too much money the previous year, so since I didn't qualify for any benefits, I didn't qualify to get the ID card.

Of course, that had been an exceptional year, and I've not made anywhere near that much money since. I don't know what the cut-off salary was, but I've been hesitant to spend 4 hours in their office again to find out.

Yes, I tried to get the ID card once before, and was told I'd made too much money the previous year, so since I didn't qualify for any benefits, I didn't qualify to get the ID card.

Of course, that had been an exceptional year, and I've not made anywhere near that much money since. I don't know what the cut-off salary was, but I've been hesitant to spend 4 hours in their office again to find out.
That doesn't make sense unless you're talking about a pension...

If it's for a disability it's not based on your income at all and even someone with 10 percent service connected can get an id card.

MAC702

Schadenfreudist
That doesn't make sense unless you're talking about a pension...

If it's for a disability it's not based on your income at all and even someone with 10 percent service connected can get an id card.
I have no disability. I know nothing about how ANY veterans' benefits work. I only know I tried to get an ID card, and couldn't.

R.C.

Vietnam, We never learned
You must be enrolled in the VA health care system in order to receive a VIC. To do this, you must establish eligibility and fill out*Form 10-10EZ*or*Form 10-10EZR*(these are also the same forms used to update your personal information). You can fill out this form*online, by phone (Call 1-877-222-8387, Mon-Fri, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm EST), by mail, or in person at any VA clinic or medical facility. ........

After you have enrolled in the VA health care system, you can visit your local VA clinic or medical facility to obtain an ID card. You will need to have your photo taken. The card will then be mailed to you within 7-10 business days. Be sure to verify all the information is correct on the VA ID Card when you receive it......

I hope this helps,

RC

M

MLeonard

Even though you don't currently have issues you can file a claims on things that are in your records, get a 0 disability rating and you qualify. Like hearing loss, certain career field automatically qualify for hearing loss, it's a 0 but you qualify for hearing aids when/if you need them.

DonTom

Obsessed Member

I guess things are different down south. Can you go to another VA that's reasonably close? When I went to the VA here in Reno to join, it took no more than 10 or so minutes. And it looked very bad for me too, until she asked "are you a Vietnam-era vet?". My replay was, "I am a Vietnam infantry 11B vet". She said "you're in, please let me see your DD214".

If I was only a Vietnam-era vet, I have no idea if that would get me in or not. But why did she ask?

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Even though you don't currently have issues you can file a claims on things that are in your records, get a 0 disability rating and you qualify. Like hearing loss, certain career field automatically qualify for hearing loss, it's a 0 but you qualify for hearing aids when/if you need them.
A buddy of mine, Bob, near here was in the Air Force. He mentioned a slight hearing problem, (ringing in one ear) at the Reno VA.

They then asked what he did in the Air Force.

He said he was an aircraft mechanic in Phoenix, AZ.

Just from those words alone, he gets disability as well as a "service connected" VA card.

There are many military jobs they do not even question. Such as aircraft mechanic. Just mentioning a hearing problem 50 years after serving is enough.

If I had a hearing problem, I assume they would not question for my MOS either. We grunts didn't use ear muffs in Vietnam. It's not all the M16's & M60's firing that are so loud. A Claymore is much louder. And sometimes we are quite close to heavy artillery firebases. Those who fire the heavy artillery did wear ear muffs. I know because I was sometimes close enough to see their ear muffs!

I kid Bob about how he qualifies every day for the Home Depo vet discount, serving in AZ, but I don't qualify from being a grunt in Vietnam.

However, MOST Reno Home Depo employees give all vets the military discount despite their written rules about having to be "service connected".

I have noticed that usually the new H-D hires are more strict about that "service connected" rule.

-Don- Reno, NV